• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

We do the Gasol Deal, trade up Owners and get a sweet deal like N.O. Got?

Diesel

• Premium Member

I believe that when Benson bought the Hornets, he specfied that he wanted the #1 pick.

So here's my deal.

We get a new owners. Big pockets.

Do the Josh for Gasol Deal.

After 2 yrs, win lose or draw... we let Gasol Walk. We Amnesty Joe. We resign Teague. We Extend Horf. And we get our hands on a lottery pick (doesn't matter which pick) by some sort of trade (maybe a Gasol Deal).. then in 2 yrs, with all the capspace in the world..

The Cold and Evil hand of David Stern Pulls out a #1 pick overall for the Atlanta Hawks.

So 2014 Draft.

#1 pick Atlanta Hawks.

Teague, Horf, and #1 = New foundation. With New coach and new ownership.

The way we have Bill Gates'd these contracts (LD and Sund) leads me to believe that ASG will search harder for a new owner.

And my expectations are unrealistic? Like I said, Deron or Dwight. Look at Scott Machado or Noah. Otherwise blow it up.

• Moderators

...WTF did I just read... If running a NBA franchise was this easy, than all 30 teams would be contenders. Billionaires interested in sports teams don't just grow on trees... The first time the Hawks were put up for sale, there was only one billionaire interested. It's not like there is 100's of billionaires out there rearing to buy the Hawks. Also, if the Hawks sell, there is a good chance they will be moved to Seattle or back to St. Louis; the chances of them staying in Atlanta is about 50/50, although I wouldn't be surprised if the ASG lets the team fold or relinquishes ownership to the NBA (although I would LOVE it if Arthur Blank bought the team). We aren't going to amnesty Joe and Josh will be allowed to walk at the end of next season with an extension on the table to make it look like the ASG "tried" to resign him. Need to come back from Wonderland and snap back into reality...

• Like 1

The Hawks don't make no money.Billionaires normally come from a family of success or they are self made success. No owner wants to buy a team where the fans only support when they have a superstar and more fans come for the other team instead of their own. Go to most HS and MS in GA and there favorite NBA team is likely not the Hawks.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Moderators

The Hawks don't make no money.Billionaires normally come from a family of success or they are self made success. No owner wants to buy a team where the fans only support when they have a superstar and more fans come for the other team instead of their own. Go to most HS and MS in GA and there favorite NBA team is likely not the Hawks.

This is what makes the Hawks a bargain. The product is not appealing, the marketing and operations suck. Anyone who knows what they are doing can see that you can turn this thing around. There are fans out there to come to the games they just don't. If ever there was a team to buy its this one. Fairly large market, growing, young city with a lot of well paid people, owners desperate to get out. These owners have failed to generate interest in the team because they're scared to pull the trigger on anything risky.
  • Like 1

This is what makes the Hawks a bargain. The product is not appealing, the marketing and operations suck. Anyone who knows what they are doing can see that you can turn this thing around. There are fans out there to come to the games they just don't. If ever there was a team to buy its this one. Fairly large market, growing, young city with a lot of well paid people, owners desperate to get out. These owners have failed to generate interest in the team because they're scared to pull the trigger on anything risky.

Most potential owners are going to look at the record and attendance and walk away without even seeing Phillips Arena's yearly income.

• Premium Member

The problem is that Ted Turner also failed to generate interest in this team. The Hawks have never - not once - cracked the top third in the NBA in attendance. All of our pro sports team have historically been poor draws, with attendance rankings lagging well behind their position in the standings. And considering that basketball is only the 3rd most popular sport in the area (behind football and baseball) and that college football sucks much of the remaining air in the sports chatter market, the Hawks are a tough sell.Prospective Hawks owners would have to be willing to face the likelihood that they'd lose a lot of money on the team from year-to-year, and probably wouldn't see the type of return when they sold the team that they might get from other investments. And people who are smart enough to get rich generally aren't dumb enough to invest their money in a product that is unlikely to make them much money. The market for Hawks owners therefore would mainly be guys who always dreamed of owning a pro sports team (as an end unto itself rather than as a business venture) and who have enough money lying around to buy out the current owners. That's not a very large market. It may well be a market of 0 people. Edited by niremetal

The problem is that Ted Turner also failed to generate interest in this team. The Hawks have never - not once - cracked the top third in the NBA in attendance.

That's pretty sad! What's interesting as well is that our attendance has gone down steadily the past 4 years. Is that because our fans aren't interested enough or is it more to do with the economy?

• Moderators

The problem is that Ted Turner also failed to generate interest in this team. The Hawks have never - not once - cracked the top third in the NBA in attendance. All of our pro sports team have historically been poor draws, with attendance rankings lagging well behind their position in the standings. And considering that basketball is only the 3rd most popular sport in the area (behind football and baseball) and that college football sucks much of the remaining air in the sports chatter market, the Hawks are a tough sell.Prospective Hawks owners would have to be willing to face the likelihood that they'd lose a lot of money on the team from year-to-year, and probably wouldn't see the type of return when they sold the team that they might get from other investments. And people who are smart enough to get rich generally aren't dumb enough to invest their money in a product that is unlikely to make them much money. The market for Hawks owners therefore would mainly be guys who always dreamed of owning a pro sports team (as an end unto itself rather than as a business venture) and who have enough money lying around to buy out the current owners. That's not a very large market. It may well be a market of 0 people.

I don't think the Ted Turner comparison if fair though. The difference between Atlanta now and Atlanta then is night and day. When Ted owned the team no suburbanites ever ventured past buckhead for anything but a sports event. There wasn't prime residential real estate and a thriving in town community in midtown, vahi, L5p, inman park etc. There wasn't centennial park, the aquarium. Downtown was a ghost town at night. Even though downtown still has problems there are plenty of intown areas that are thriving and thousands of young professionals living in the general midtown area who just weren't there 20 years ago.

That's pretty sad! What's interesting as well is that our attendance has gone down steadily the past 4 years. Is that because our fans aren't interested enough or is it more to do with the economy?

I want to say both but it's more than likely interest. When the team doesn't improve in the fans eyes they stop going to the game but still watch the TV.

Honest truth is, I don't know why Atlanta Basketball is so irrelevant to the fans of Atlanta. It's not like they never watch them. They never treat the Falcons or Braves like this. Even the Thrashers had diehards like Sothron.

• Premium Member

After Los Angeles and New York, there's a significant drop off in terms of market size. Those cities are just in a class by themselves. However, contrary to common unrest regarding the area, Atlanta is one of the nation's top 10 media markets. In fact, after LA, NY, and Chicago...it's a pretty level playing field all the way down through the top 10. Moreover, Atlanta has the 2nd largest market for African American homes, is a huge hotspot for entertainment, and is a frequent retreat for many athletes and celebrities.

It's not a bad place to put a basketball team and considering that all of the major markets have an NBA franchise, moving the team would mean relocating to a significantly smaller exposure. Not only that, but there's a $200 million speedbump in the way of moving the team any time soon (click).

Why would you move the team and drop all that money, just to put it in a smaller market?

The problem with this team is simple. It doesn't draw. It doesn't draw because there is no personality to it, there is no history to it, and there has never been a character that could carry it. There has never been a star that could capture this audience, except for MAYBE 'Nique, but even he was unappreciated back in the day - and his teams had the same problems this team does.

Put a face on the floor and WIN. Then, concerns about the market, fan apathy, and all that will disappear. Build another winner later and you will bring fans BACK to the game after you stop sucking. Either way, this team has to GET THE F#CK OUT OF THE MIDDLE.

Interestingly as well is that the Lakers were barely in the top 10 in attendance this year, even with Kobe and their star studded team and famous fans. I think they drew an average of about 2k more per game than us, which isn't that huge of a difference.

Interestingly as well is that the Lakers were barely in the top 10 in attendance this year, even with Kobe and their star studded team and famous fans. I think they drew an average of about 2k more per game than us, which isn't that huge of a difference.

Their TV contract as well as their ticket prices more the world of difference.

I will only speak from my experience - my interest in the Hawks is just as high (watched evwery game on TV) but I only attended one game this season (free ticket) because I was out of work until 2 weeks ago for 2 years. The economy has a lot to do with attendance.

After Los Angeles and New York, there's a significant drop off in terms of market size. Those cities are just in a class by themselves. However, contrary to common unrest regarding the area, Atlanta is one of the nation's top 10 media markets. In fact, after LA, NY, and Chicago...it's a pretty level playing field all the way down through the top 10. Moreover, Atlanta has the 2nd largest market for African American homes, is a huge hotspot for entertainment, and is a frequent retreat for many athletes and celebrities.

It's not a bad place to put a basketball team and considering that all of the major markets have an NBA franchise, moving the team would mean relocating to a significantly smaller exposure. Not only that, but there's a $200 million speedbump in the way of moving the team any time soon (click).

Why would you move the team and drop all that money, just to put it in a smaller market?

The problem with this team is simple. It doesn't draw. It doesn't draw because there is no personality to it, there is no history to it, and there has never been a character that could carry it. There has never been a star that could capture this audience, except for MAYBE 'Nique, but even he was unappreciated back in the day - and his teams had the same problems this team does.

Put a face on the floor and WIN. Then, concerns about the market, fan apathy, and all that will disappear. Build another winner later and you will bring fans BACK to the game after you stop sucking. Either way, this team has to GET THE F#CK OUT OF THE MIDDLE.

This and market the 'FACE' - ASG's promotion of their own product is so pitiful.

• Premium Member

...WTF did I just read... If running a NBA franchise was this easy, than all 30 teams would be contenders. Billionaires interested in sports teams don't just grow on trees... The first time the Hawks were put up for sale, there was only one billionaire interested. It's not like there is 100's of billionaires out there rearing to buy the Hawks. Also, if the Hawks sell, there is a good chance they will be moved to Seattle or back to St. Louis; the chances of them staying in Atlanta is about 50/50, although I wouldn't be surprised if the ASG lets the team fold or relinquishes ownership to the NBA (although I would LOVE it if Arthur Blank bought the team). We aren't going to amnesty Joe and Josh will be allowed to walk at the end of next season with an extension on the table to make it look like the ASG "tried" to resign him. Need to come back from Wonderland and snap back into reality...

Well, I got money on the Arena making them stay in Atlanta. Remember, McDavid tried. The deal is ironclad.

about 15 more years left.

• Premium Member

The problem is that Ted Turner also failed to generate interest in this team. The Hawks have never - not once - cracked the top third in the NBA in attendance. All of our pro sports team have historically been poor draws, with attendance rankings lagging well behind their position in the standings. And considering that basketball is only the 3rd most popular sport in the area (behind football and baseball) and that college football sucks much of the remaining air in the sports chatter market, the Hawks are a tough sell.Prospective Hawks owners would have to be willing to face the likelihood that they'd lose a lot of money on the team from year-to-year, and probably wouldn't see the type of return when they sold the team that they might get from other investments. And people who are smart enough to get rich generally aren't dumb enough to invest their money in a product that is unlikely to make them much money. The market for Hawks owners therefore would mainly be guys who always dreamed of owning a pro sports team (as an end unto itself rather than as a business venture) and who have enough money lying around to buy out the current owners. That's not a very large market. It may well be a market of 0 people.

I think that the deal for the team and the arena can be made. I think you get rid of a few guys and you build with a #1 pick. That's exactly what N.O. is doing. Stern bought into Benson's business plan. N.O. is similar to Atlanta in fans. However, I just believe that a title run where we actually go farther than we have gone will galvanize the city behind a new owner. Maybe Blank works a deal with David Stern and we get the #1 pick in a good draft year... we build with that Horf, Teague, and whoever else we get from these next two drafts and we can be like OKC.

I think that the deal for the team and the arena can be made. I think you get rid of a few guys and you build with a #1 pick. That's exactly what N.O. is doing. Stern bought into Benson's business plan. N.O. is similar to Atlanta in fans. However, I just believe that a title run where we actually go farther than we have gone will galvanize the city behind a new owner. Maybe Blank works a deal with David Stern and we get the #1 pick in a good draft year... we build with that Horf, Teague, and whoever else we get from these next two drafts and we can be like OKC.

lol, Diesel, Stern didn't work no deal like that with Benson. They just happen to win the lottery. Stop this man.