• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks and Free Agency - Cap Space and Options (replies)

Wretch

Does Sergiy qualify as at least one of our "minimum salary rookie free agent" candidates?~lw3

I would suspect so and I doubt he'd get a guaranteed contract from us unless he blows the doors off in summer league... which is not likely to happen.
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Does Sergiy qualify as at least one of our "minimum salary rookie free agent" candidates?~lw3

Yes. He was a second round pick and so can be signed for the minimum.He does, however, have some leverage if he can get paid in Europe. He will only take so much of a bath to come here. If I could get $2M guaranteed or $500K unguaranteed, I would start brushing up on my Italian.
  • Like 1

So you are predicting that Howard and Deron will be on the same team via trade, or will leave the team they are traded to if not moved to the same team, or will stay put in NJ or Orlando. Interesting theory to say the least.I think Deron is Dallas bound and no way Cuban can get Howard this season if he locks up Deron and keeps Dirk.

I didn't respond to this and so I wanted to now. Deron has a player option for this year for about 17.8 million I believe. Assuming he wants to play with Dwight, it would make sense that he exercises his option to be in Brooklyn for the upcoming season.Now there is a winning model as old as time in the NBA. Elite 2 way Center + drive and dish PG + either knock down shooter or off the ball big man. So in that scenarioDeron + Dwight + either a great shooter or Josh Smith = championship.Why this works? This is all about "the late double". In the NBA, the main defensive weapon of every team is a late trap/double. Teams use this to perfection against us with JJ. So a point guard that attacks the rim with eyes up so he can dish keeps the ball moving and negates the double at the 3 point line. You can't leave your man to double of the point guard will beat you to the spot and hit the man you just left. You can't foul him because he'll hit his free throws. The low post double is negated by the center pushing the ball out to the knock down shooter or hitting the opposing big man moving to the basket (ie..the definition of both Josh and Al). This negates doubling the center. Dwight never had either the PG or the low post big man in Orlando. He had the shooters but too many of them....not enough ball handling threat. The shooter or off the ball big man are the outlet, the "option".Deron and Dwight are not stupid and have been moving toward this for years. Both will be free agents after this year. The options are 4 fold.Option 1: Deron stays with Brooklyn and Dwight signs there. Their cap situation portends this to be the plan.Option 2: Dwight stays in Orlando and Deron signs there. Their cap situation is not condusive and would require trades.Option 3: Both men sign with a new team with lots of cap room in the 13/14 season.Option 4: A team trades for either Dwight or Deron and than makes a play for the other the following year. This is the only possibility for Atlanta and would require trading away JJ, Al, Marvin....Teague becomes expendable with Deron here. Those 4 salaries are slightly higher than Dwight/Deron would require. It would require trading for both as you have to give away to get and to negate the cap holds.Now messing this up are 2 things. First, Boston's aging core which will eventually clear up room. Second, Josh Smith's contract ends at the same time creating an opportunity to put the perfect player with Deron/Dwight, an off the ball cutting, finishing big man. Additionally, Horford is signed reasonably and could easily fill the same role. Deron/Dwight with either Al/Josh would be hard to beat.Now I use us as an example not because I think that is what will happen, but to show what is possible for Deron/Dwight. If they go/sign together and get one of the other formula players, they are NBA contenders every year in the same mold as Parker/Duncan/Ginobilli.

• Moderators

If we use amnesty on Joe after this year are we still stuck with paying the balance of the last 3yrs after year 2012/13?($21,466,718... $23,180,790... $24,894,863)I think the answer is yes but I wanted to make sure.

It hasn't been made perfectly clear to me, but my understanding is that a team will put in a bid that applies to each year - like a $5M bid and they are on the hook for that amount each year of the contract and Atlanta is on the hook for the remainder each season.

It hasn't been made perfectly clear to me, but my understanding is that a team will put in a bid that applies to each year - like a $5M bid and they are on the hook for that amount each year of the contract and Atlanta is on the hook for the remainder each season.

Wow, That might make it hard to get better. I want to move on from Joe....BUT.... Do any of you think we could find someone or two players for $13,163,683. That will bring more to the table than Joe's 18pts/defense?

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, That might make it hard to get better. I want to move on from Joe....BUT.... Do any of you think we could find someone or two players for $13,163,683. That will bring more to the table than Joe's 18pts/defense?

Looking like Joe is gone, guess we can wad up this thread and throw in the fire. Everything now different.