• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Sounds like Sund is not coming back as GM... maybe as advisor

Admin

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2012/06/16/atlanta-hawks-rick-sund-likely-to-return-but-future-role-uncertain/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

Atlanta Hawks: Rick Sund likely to stay but future role uncertain

Hawks general manager Rick Sund is likely to remain with the franchise after his contract expires at the end of this month but his future role in the front office still isn’t clear.

Sund said he’s still in discussions with Hawks co-owners Bruce Levenson and Michael Gearon Jr. about continuing to work for the Hawks in some capacity beyond the draft.

“All I’m going to say is Bruce and I are kicking around a few ideas and when something gets totally resolved we will let you know,” Sund said today after the team worked out draft prospects.

Sund wouldn’t elaborate beyond that statement. He has continued in his GM role as the Hawks prepare for the draft.

It’s believed Sund has expressed interest in an advisory role with the Hawks. He also has considered retirement so he can spend more time in the Seattle area, where he still owns a home.

The Hawks reportedly denied the Trail Blazers permission to interview Sund after Atlanta’s season ended; Portland eventually hired former Clippers GM Neil Olshey. Philadelphia media has speculated Sund could be a candidate to replace Rod Thorn, who is stepping down as Sixers GM and president.

Sund, 61, succeeded Billy Knight as Hawks GM in 2008. The Hawks had their streak of second-round playoff appearances snapped at three with the loss to Boston.

Does it matter. ASG is trash and they don't have the slightness clue. I am about to drop this team. I can't stand this much longer. This is too much. Even the Clippers figured it out finally.

Edited by Joker
  • Like 1

I probably shouldn't have called asg trash but they need to be more competent. That's all.

Does it matter. ASG is trash and they don't have the slightness clue. I am about to drop this team. I can't stand this much longer. This is too much. Even the Clippers figured it out finally.

How did the Clippers figure it out? They have two supposed super stars and we have none. They have the point guard (Chris Paul) that everyone says we should have drafted. Plus, they have a high flying dunker (we have one of those also), in Blake Griffin. They got swept in the second round.

• Moderators

I only want Sund to be back because I am afraid that his replacement might be worse. If Sund does step down, I hope the replacement is from within so that we get a guy that understands what we have and doesn't try and prove himself with a huge, disastrous trade. I can now see Smoove getting traded for scraps now... At least Sund might be able to wheel-and-deal and get us a lottery pick and a couple of role players that come off of the bench.

• Moderators

How did the Clippers figure it out? They have two supposed super stars and we have none. They have the point guard (Chris Paul) that everyone says we should have drafted. Plus, they have a high flying dunker (we have one of those also), in Blake Griffin. They got swept in the second round.

The Clippers also lost the GM who drafted Blake and traded for Paul by refusing to give him a contract last year and instead paying him on a month-to-month deal that made Sund look pricey. By the time they actually got around to offering a long-term deal, he was done and ready to move to franchise that isn't so cheap.

it also seems like we're not going to make a draft day trade. We haven't heard anything of it. All I'm hearing about are trades involving Iggy, Gay, Granger, etc for really good picks.It's a shame because Josh Smith's value is at an all time high. His value will most likely decline early in the season with Horford getting more of the touches. And this draft is so awesome. I can't believe some of you guys are saying this draft is weak. oh well....

it also seems like we're not going to make a draft day trade. We haven't heard anything of it. All I'm hearing about are trades involving Iggy, Gay, Granger, etc for really good picks.It's a shame because Josh Smith's value is at an all time high. His value will most likely decline early in the season with Horford getting more of the touches. And this draft is so awesome. I can't believe some of you guys are saying this draft is weak. oh well....

I agree this is an incredibly strong draft. Problem is there aren't any sure fire stud pgs and outside of Davis and possibly Drummond there arent any elite c prospects either. There is a lot of talent in other positions though but those are our strong positions.

I agree this is an incredibly strong draft. Problem is there aren't any sure fire stud pgs and outside of Davis and possibly Drummond there arent any elite c prospects either. There is a lot of talent in other positions though but those are our strong positions.

There are two NBA level playmaking PG, most draft have none. This can be an excellent draft for us. Most superstar type of PG's go too high since everyone wants one of them.

well, we're only really set at PF. We need help at C, PG, and with Josh leaving we're weak at SF or we could get help at SG if we wanna play Joe at the 3. Basically, we could use a lot of things and this draft offers that.

With only 6 players under contract, 2 of which will be UFAs and 1 RFA the Hawks need talent above all else. This isn't 4 years ago where we could keep saying "we just need a PG & C and the team is set" because 2013!!! 2013!!! is coming and they are about to get blown up. Pendergraft seems to get this but at the same time this piece on him reads more like they are saddling up for one last ride with WLOC rather than worrying about the future of the franchise with all this talk of win now guys.

We have Marvin, Joe, and Horford. Marvin isn't the greatest by a stretch but he is solid for his position and his contract is reasonable for his position and years currently left. Joe is very good for now maybe not in three years but we can deal with that then. I would rather get the playmaking PG and center and continue to build. You miss on that, this team is going nowhere.