• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Houston will pursue Josh Smith if they fail to get Dwight Howard

Joker

• Moderators

If you're talking the playoffs though, that's not saying much. . . seeing that both guys pretty much sucked.

Josh way outperformed Joe in the post-season this year and both of them did suck compared to what we expect from them.

Both teams sucked in the BOS/ATL game.

I will continune to repeat this to everyone who ignores what makes up 50% of a trade.

On the floor impact is 50% of the equation...........contracts are the other 50% and Josh Smith's contract is $13 million for 1 more year which means whoever trades for Josh Smith could only be getting a 1 year rental rather then a player locked up on a long contract. That risk greatly reduces the trade value for a player in Josh Smith's situation.

Chase Budinger is a bargain contract at $854 K with a team option for next season. That contract makes him even more attractive to other clubs in trades since it is a bargain. The T'Wolves probably believe they are getting a better player then they could get with the 18th pick plus they are saving a few million dollars.

Wrong, Wrong Wrong. Because of the new CBA, trading for a player in the last year of his contract increases the chance you get him during free agency because only you can now offer him the best terms on the new deal. Trading for him is circumventing the free agent process. You've given yourself a 1 up in the new negotiations. You can now circumvent the cap to offer him a better deal and you can offer him 1 more year. This is a very big deal.

However, Dolfan is very right about the trade kicker. Acquiring a high priced player like Smith whose contract was the result of a matched offer creates a trade kicker of I believe 15%. 15% on 13.2 million dollars is 1.98 million. Trading for Smith is the same as giving away $1.98 million. This is one of the reasons the stories about Josh Smith trade demands are mostly bogus. Smith and his agent are well aware there is a big fat penalty to acquiring him in trade.

• Moderators

Wrong, Wrong Wrong. Because of the new CBA, trading for a player in the last year of his contract increases the chance you get him during free agency because only you can now offer him the best terms on the new deal. Trading for him is circumventing the free agent process. You've given yourself a 1 up in the new negotiations. You can now circumvent the cap to offer him a better deal and you can offer him 1 more year. This is a very big deal.However, Dolfan is very right about the trade kicker. Acquiring a high priced player like Smith whose contract was the result of a matched offer creates a trade kicker of I believe 15%. 15% on 13.2 million dollars is 1.98 million. Trading for Smith is the same as giving away $1.98 million. This is one of the reasons the stories about Josh Smith trade demands are mostly bogus. Smith and his agent are well aware there is a big fat penalty to acquiring him in trade.

I don't know what is wrong about the statement. Anyone trading for Josh gets a leg up in negotiations only if the are willing to pay him over the max contract value that other teams can offer. I don't know how many teams think Josh is worth more than the max but there may not be any and if any team that views Josh as a less than max player acquires him they are taking the risk that he walks for nothing.

I would not trade Josh Smith straight up for Drummond. Now Josh and Marvin for Drummond and Tyreke is something to ponder. Probably still would not do it

We couldn't anyway as they'd have to send back salary. I would imagine that Tyreke would almost certainly be involved and possibly either Garcia or Salmons. Doesn't save us much salary but does give us a young player who still has some potential and the #5 pick.