• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why is Horford exempt?

Johnnybravo4

From any trade rumors? He may be a solid player but Im still waiting for the game where he takes over. We played an entire season without him and you barely noticed.

All I can tell you is true bigs have more value in the NBA. It has been this way decades and do not expect it to change. Marginal bigs like SammyD and Reggie Evans swap teams all the time. But ones who are capable of putting up 14 and 10 or better playing a solid, not garbage, game are held on to for almost dear life in the NBA. Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

[*]True big.

[*]High FG%

[*]Scores

[*]Brings energy when he doesn't disappear

[*]Has the absolute right attitude

[*]The polar opposite of a "cancer"

[*]Still has room to improve

[*]QUICK

[*]Runs the floor better than any big I've ever seen (at least in ATL)

[*]Reasonable contract

[*]Durable (except that freak injury last year)

[*]Not going to get equal value in a trade for him

This is not the player you get rid of. This is the #3 of your Big 3. On any team.

• Premium Member

Because there isn't any real reason to trade him unless it is for a superstar. When you briefly look at our three starters that are in the majority of the rumors you get..Smith wants out and is also in his final year of his contract. You see trades around here about him because they are a lot more realistic than any potential Horford trades. It isn't that everybody wants him gone, they are just being realistic.Joe has his contract so you'll see rumors about him being gone to save up some money. Joe is a great player but we all know his contract could potentially hold us back if the ASG won't go into the luxury tax.Marvin is Marvin, so we will always look to upgrade his roster spot in any way possible. Whether it be saving money or getting another player, Marvin is a pretty easy guy to throw out in deals. Horford was hurt last year and his value is at an all time low. He is also a two time nba all star and a two time NCAAB champ. Unless Howard says he wants to come here, it is unlikely we see Horford traded.

• Premium Member

He is only good if u already have superstars ala Battier or Boozer, but he is destined to be a journeyman

What? This guy has been a two time all star and has made all nba while playing out of position and you think he's destined to be a journeyman? Smh.

• Premium Member

Wow. The opinion of Horf has really changed. Last season after he virtually vanished against Chicago everyone was questioning his manhood. He came back the following season to average a pretty lackluster 12 and 7 for a few games and then went down for the rest of the season. He then came back and played an inspired few(3?) games during the Playoffs. Now he's untouchable? What's really changed since the end of last season? To paraphrase the argument most of the more intelligent posters make whenever a Hawk has a hot streak, isn't the 'sample size' a little too small to declare Horf untouchable? I'm not bashing Horf by any means, but I honestly want to hear an explanation.

Edited by hawkman

He is the best player on the team. If he had been healthy this year we would have be the 2nd or 3rd seed in the playoffs. We missed him great mid range jump shot and jump hook. Especially when we were in those close games with boston in the regular season. If we trade Al what else do we have to build on here in Atlanta?

Wow. The opinion of Horf has really changed. Last season after he virtually vanished against Chicago everyone was questioning his manhood. He came back the following season to average a pretty lackluster 12 and 7 for a few games and then went down for the rest of the season. He then came back and played an inspired few(3?) games during the Playoffs. Now he's untouchable? What's really changed since the end of last season? To paraphrase the argument most of the more intelligent posters make whenever a Hawk has a hot streak, isn't the 'sample size' a little too small to declare Horf untouchable? I'm not bashing Horf by any means, but I honestly want to hear an explanation.

So you lend validity to the criticism based on the sample size of the Chicago series but then discredit the Boston series.......what about the majority of his career? Large enough sample for you?
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Nobody on this team is untouchable...but this is the guy you deal for the right price. The price on Horford is high and I'll tell you what...getting rid of Horford would take no effort at all - today, tomorrow, next year... You know what you're going to get out of him, anybody in the league would be happy to have him - ecstatic.

The guy takes nothing away from this team. Not one single negative. Not one. And he brings A LOT. Pretty much anybody would be willing to yank him off our hands. In a heartbeat. He's got real value and you don't deal him unless you get real value in return. Outside of a major young stud or a superstar rental (minimum 2 years), there's no point in even asking about Horford.

• Premium Member

So you lend validity to the criticism based on the sample size of the Chicago series but then discredit the Boston series.......what about the majority of his career? Large enough sample for you?

I'm not validating anything. I thought the criticism of Horf after the Chi series was a bit much. I think the opinion that Horf is untouchable is a bit much. The majority of Horf's career so far amounts to a 13ppg and 9rpg player. If that's the sample size you are referring to, then you should understand why I'd like an explanation as to why that constitutes an untouchable player.

• Premium Member

Horford played poorly against Chicago. I think most people feel like he was probably hurt at the time. He was the guy during that horrible regular season that actually seemed to care about winning every night.As for his limited time last year...Have you looked at his game log for this past season? 12/7 doesn't really tell the story.http://sports.yahoo....dhwe97k5d6MPaB4His rebounds were down because a couple of our early games as well as a few in between were blowouts and he didn't play many minutes. His points were down too because he was taking less than 10 shots a game. Not counting the game he was hurt, he only shot under 50% twice and had 6 games where he took less than 10 shots (only 4 with over ten shots). Except for the first game, he had multiple assists in every game.I don't really need to type everything that you can read in his 2012 game log. His numbers were down but I don't think it was because of poor play. It was early in the year and he was just going with the flow. 10 games is a VERY small sample size. Edited by cam1218