• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Mike Scott - Discuss

AHF

We were looking for smart hard working players who are ready to play clearly. This really doesn't make us much better. Just replaces the vet mins with cheaper talent that's ready to play.

Exactly. Cap is a real issue and that has to be dealt with.

Did you guys miss what Bilas (I believe it was him) had to say about the guy? Basically that he played in one of the slowest tempo offenses in the nation (which fits in well with our slow offense) and on a pace adjusted scale that his stats are absolutely ridiculous. I don't know squat about this guy but he should absolutely be someone who can come in and play from day 1 off the bench and give us quality minutes.It's very clear to me that we were looking for mature, productive players who possess particular skills. While I think we'll regret not taking Wroten and I HATED that we again missed the guy I wanted the most by 1 pick (Melo this time, Lawson a few years back), I think that we picked a couple of guys who can contribute from day 1. Solid B draft for me considering our draft position.

• Like 2

Did you guys miss what Bilas (I believe it was him) had to say about the guy? Basically that he played in one of the slowest tempo offenses in the nation (which fits in well with our slow offense) and on a pace adjusted scale that his stats are absolutely ridiculous. I don't know squat about this guy but he should absolutely be someone who can come in and play from day 1 off the bench and give us quality minutes.It's very clear to me that we were looking for mature, productive players who possess particular skills. While I think we'll regret not taking Wroten and I HATED that we again missed the guy I wanted the most by 1 pick (Melo this time, Lawson a few years back), I think that we picked a couple of guys who can contribute from day 1. Solid B draft for me considering our draft position.

It is a B all day long and we are a playoff team. Getting these two guys late is similar to the Spurs drafting Blair late and the Celtics getting Big Baby late. Both Blair and Big Baby are replaceable, but they added very real and timely depth to their respective teams.
  • Like 2

Posted Image

^^^this^^^ was the last hawks transaction I viewed positively. I think it's time I give up on the prognostication stuff.

Touche and guilty as charged. I also bought a ticket on the Acie Law bandwagon after correctly predicting Al Horford (who didn't get that one right?) and gave up projecting draft picks after that. I had a good run going into that draft though, having predicted that Deng, Iguodala, CP3, Deron, and Roy would be far better players than the ones BK ended up selecting.

• Premium Member

My guess is that Mike Scott (if he stays healthy) will have a bigger impact on this team than Jenkins. He won't be any where near a Paul Milsap...but he may not suck as bad as Shelden.But let's be a bit realistic about that - I think Scott will have some impact...but i doubt Jenkins will have any impact at all.I don't think Jenkins is an NBA level player.Grading this draft I would say - - C minus. An average of B+ for Scott and D- for Jenkins

I I disagree on Jenkins, The SEC is a pretty good league and the team played a national schedule. Jenkins is 6-5 so I dont know where the undersized comes from. Being from Tennessee I watched him several times, this kid can play. No, he is not a point, but a bonified 2 that really knows how to move without the ball.

The problem is the ball doesn't move on the Hawks.

II disagree on Jenkins, The SEC is a pretty good league and the team played a national schedule. Jenkins is 6-5 so I dont know where the undersized comes from. Being from Tennessee I watched him several times, this kid can play. No, he is not a point, but a bonified 2 that really knows how to move without the ball.

6'4.25" WITH shoes ... but close enough to 6'5 I suppose. I guess we're all spoiled having a guy 6'7 at SG for us all this time that he seems undersized.

I

I disagree on Jenkins, The SEC is a pretty good league and the team played a national schedule. Jenkins is 6-5 so I dont know where the undersized comes from. Being from Tennessee I watched him several times, this kid can play. No, he is not a point, but a bonified 2 that really knows how to move without the ball.

Excellent point on Jenkins movement. Lack of player movement and ball stagnation is the major critque of the Hawks offense. Edited by coachx

The problem is the ball doesn't move on the Hawks.

True.......and the players still don't move enough without the ball......even though I have to admit that player movement improved some under Drew.At least Jenkins style corrects these problems.Jenkins moves without the ball out of habit. He also doesn't hold the ball or over dribble. If he can't do anything with it in 3 or 4 dribbles then he is passing the ball. Edited by coachx

We move without the ball.

Hi folks, Lifelong UVA fan, just signed up to share a little about Mike. I'm obviously biased but I'm gonna throw in my two cents anyway. I can totally understand the concerns over Mike's age and ankle, but I don't think either are a big deal. The ankle was repaired last after he had issues with it during his fourth year. It was a recurring issue that he had coming out of high school that he tried to play through and it just kept flaring up. Mike was healthy all last season and said his ankle felt the best it had since high school. I really don't think the ankle will be an issue going forward. Mike is a little older than the typical draftee but he's built like a tank and the extra experience he gained this past season under coach Bennett has, I think, made him NBA ready. Mike put our team on his back all season and almost single-handedly carried us to our first NCAA berth since 2007 (that team was carried by Sean Singletary and JR Reynolds). What Mike lacks in size, he makes up for in effort and understanding of the game. He's an excellent team defender, hedges extremely well off screens and is almost always in the right place. Offensively, Mike was a beast last season. His 18+ ppg might not jump out at you, but adjusted for pace he was I believe the 2nd most efficient player in all of NCAA basketball. He's good in the post and great facing up or backing someone down. He's developed a turn-around fadeaway that's damn near unstoppable. I know he's not a flashy pick or a lights out athlete, but I think Hawks fans (I may be included myself now) will be pleasantly surprised with Mike's game. He won't come in and start, but he'll end up as a good value for a 2nd rounder. Let me know if you guys have any other questions.

• Like 1

Hi folks,Lifelong UVA fan, just signed up to share a little about Mike. I'm obviously biased but I'm gonna throw in my two cents anyway. I can totally understand the concerns over Mike's age and ankle, but I don't think either are a big deal. The ankle was repaired last after he had issues with it during his fourth year. It was a recurring issue that he had coming out of high school that he tried to play through and it just kept flaring up. Mike was healthy all last season and said his ankle felt the best it had since high school. I really don't think the ankle will be an issue going forward. Mike is a little older than the typical draftee but he's built like a tank and the extra experience he gained this past season under coach Bennett has, I think, made him NBA ready. Mike put our team on his back all season and almost single-handedly carried us to our first NCAA berth since 2007 (that team was carried by Sean Singletary and JR Reynolds). What Mike lacks in size, he makes up for in effort and understanding of the game. He's an excellent team defender, hedges extremely well off screens and is almost always in the right place. Offensively, Mike was a beast last season. His 18+ ppg might not jump out at you, but adjusted for pace he was I believe the 2nd most efficient player in all of NCAA basketball. He's good in the post and great facing up or backing someone down. He's developed a turn-around fadeaway that's damn near unstoppable. I know he's not a flashy pick or a lights out athlete, but I think Hawks fans (I may be included myself now) will be pleasantly surprised with Mike's game. He won't come in and start, but he'll end up as a good value for a 2nd rounder. Let me know if you guys have any other questions.

Plus, he has a good face up game at mid range with some ability to stretch the defense out to the three point line. He hit 52% of his jump shots last year, and those shots comprised 37% of his offense. That is very good for a low post player.Here's a numbers comparison for you:Mike Scott - 25.0 P40pa, 0.563 FG%, 0.577 2P%, 0.300 3P%, 0.808 FT%, 11.5 R40pa, 1.6 A40pa, 0.9 S40pa, 0.7 B40pa, 2.9 TO40pa, 0.620 TS%, 0.570 eFG%, 1.19 PPP, 30.7 PERAndrew Nicholson - 24.7 P40pa, 0.571 FG%, 0.593 2P%, 0.434 3P%, 0.776 FT%, 11.2 R40pa, 1.4 A40pa, 0.9 S40pa, 2.6 B40pa, 3.3 TO40pa, 0.640 TS%, 0.600 eFG%, 1.22 PPP, 31.5 PEROffensively, the numbers are very similar. Nicholson has a slight advantage in a few categories. The largest advantage he has is as a shot blocker. Overall though, there isn't a lot of statistical difference between a guy who was a mid 2nd round pick and a guy who was a mid 1st round pick.

Oh, and if you guys want to have a little fun, check out the comments section on this Jason King Wooden Watch from back in January. If there was any doubt that we in Virginia loved this guy to death, I think this will clarify our position. If you don't want to scroll to the beginning of the comments, I kind of got this ball rolling on our message board and it took off (I'm cvegas85 on there).http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/44271/jason-kings-wooden-award-ballot

• Like 1

• Premium Member

6'4.25" WITH shoes ... but close enough to 6'5 I suppose. I guess we're all spoiled having a guy 6'7 at SG for us all this time that he seems undersized.

6'4" in shoes is absolutely undersized for a shooting guard.

Hi folks,Lifelong UVA fan, just signed up to share a little about Mike. I'm obviously biased but I'm gonna throw in my two cents anyway. I can totally understand the concerns over Mike's age and ankle, but I don't think either are a big deal. The ankle was repaired last after he had issues with it during his fourth year. It was a recurring issue that he had coming out of high school that he tried to play through and it just kept flaring up. Mike was healthy all last season and said his ankle felt the best it had since high school. I really don't think the ankle will be an issue going forward. Mike is a little older than the typical draftee but he's built like a tank and the extra experience he gained this past season under coach Bennett has, I think, made him NBA ready. Mike put our team on his back all season and almost single-handedly carried us to our first NCAA berth since 2007 (that team was carried by Sean Singletary and JR Reynolds). What Mike lacks in size, he makes up for in effort and understanding of the game. He's an excellent team defender, hedges extremely well off screens and is almost always in the right place. Offensively, Mike was a beast last season. His 18+ ppg might not jump out at you, but adjusted for pace he was I believe the 2nd most efficient player in all of NCAA basketball. He's good in the post and great facing up or backing someone down. He's developed a turn-around fadeaway that's damn near unstoppable. I know he's not a flashy pick or a lights out athlete, but I think Hawks fans (I may be included myself now) will be pleasantly surprised with Mike's game. He won't come in and start, but he'll end up as a good value for a 2nd rounder. Let me know if you guys have any other questions.

I'm a diehard UVA fan as well (family is season-ticket holders and I've met Mike personally), and I second these comments. He's probably already near his ceiling, but he'll get minutes right away and provide good value while he is with us.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

He's about the same size as Jodie Meeks, who KILLS the Hawks, so he should be ok as long as he puts effort into defending.

The problem with that is he's not a good defender or passer or rebounder. He literally is a one trick pony. If the NBA was a horse competition he'd be the number one pick. Sadly that is not the case. I'm not fond of one trick pony players.

The problem with that is he's not a good defender or passer or rebounder. He literally is a one trick pony. If the NBA was a horse competition he'd be the number one pick. Sadly that is not the case. I'm not fond of one trick pony players.

Kyle Korver isn't much of a defender, rebounder or passer either and he's made a decent career for himself. He's taller than Jenkins so big for a SG but he plays a lot of minutes at SF where he's undersized and overmatched physically. If Jenkins can match what Korver is able to do (8-10 points on efficient shooting with 15-20 mpg) then I'll be plenty happy with him as JJ's backup.