• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Let's play what if!

thecampster

Assume the JJ trade goes through with just Petro, Morrow, Farmar and an unprotected future first coming back (say 2014). The money saved allows you to sign Chris Kaman. That move allows you to move Marvin+ for someone else (assuming you could take back about a 12 million dollar player. Are you onboard?Teague/FarmarJenkins/MorrowJosh/Marvin (or other)Al/Mike ScottKaman/Zaza+3 playersSorry but that second unit looks pretty good, young.

• Premium Member

In my what if, after we have traded Joe, Josh is also traded while he is at the height of his value. You don't want to go into the season with No joe and Josh playing next to Al. Josh's numbers will sink like the titanic in his contract year. I say trade him for youth and picks.. and capspace.

If no Lopez or Brooks we must get at least a 2013 first.

Can't get the 2013, they traded the 2012 in the Gerald Wallace deal. Has to be 2014 or beyond.

http://basketball.wikia.com/wiki/NBA_Draft

"League rules prohibit a team from trading away their own future first-round picks in consecutive years. This rule was created partially as a reaction to the practices of the Cleveland Cavaliers in the early 1980s. Ted Stepien, who owned the team from 1980 to 1983, made a series of trades for players of questionable value that cost the team several years of first-round picks. The trades nearly destroyed the franchise; the NBA pressured Stepien into selling out, and in order to get a solid local owner (Gordon Gund), the league had to sweeten the deal by giving the Cavaliers several future bonus draft picks."

The New Jersey Nets receive: Gerald Wallace

The Portland Trail Blazers receive: Mehmet Okur, Shawne Williams, 2012 protected first round pick

Edited by thecampster

Interesting note here. You can trade with someone else and acquire a 1st round pick every year and then trade that pick away in a repackage, no problem and you can still trade away your pick every other year. But not your own pick 2 years in a row.

Interesting note here. You can trade with someone else and acquire a 1st round pick every year and then trade that pick away in a repackage, no problem and you can still trade away your pick every other year. But not your own pick 2 years in a row.

Yes you can. You just can't trade consecutive future 1sts. I am 99% sure of this.

• Premium Member

I'm onboard. People make this about JJ, but it's not. If I believed that a Joe Johnson centered core could get it done, I would have a problem with these deals. As it were, this whole thing is about progress and reshaping the team. I believe it's about changing the culture as well.We have a chance to be one of the relevant teams for once. I'd trade Joe for a chance at that.

Yes you can. You just can't trade consecutive future 1sts. I am 99% sure of this.

99% sure....1000% wronghttp://www.iamagm.com/news/2011/06/01/timberwolves.cant.trade.2.overall.pick.until.draft.night.according.league.rulesHe's a player once you sign him. They never signed the 2012 pick. They're signing away the 2013 pick before drafting/signing him.

99% sure....1000% wronghttp://www.iamagm.co...ng.league.rulesHe's a player once you sign him. They never signed the 2012 pick. They're signing away the 2013 pick before drafting/signing him.

Wow you are going to feel silly here. They couldn't trade the 2011 because they already owed the 2012. An NBA team can trade their 1st round pick every single year, provided that they wait until after each draft to trade the following years 1st round pick. I don't have time to search for that but I am certain that is the rule as I've been told that by AHF and I believe Hawksfanatic in the past as well and didn't believe it until I saw it. So in this case, the 2012 draft is past and the Nets don't owe anyone their 2014 pick as far as I know, which means that their 2013 pick is fair game and 2012 has zero impact on that.

Wow you are going to feel silly here. They couldn't trade the 2011 because they already owed the 2012.An NBA team can trade their 1st round pick every single year, provided that they wait until after each draft to trade the following years 1st round pick. I don't have time to search for that but I am certain that is the rule as I've been told that by AHF and I believe Hawksfanatic in the past as well and didn't believe it until I saw it.So in this case, the 2012 draft is past and the Nets don't owe anyone their 2014 pick as far as I know, which means that their 2013 pick is fair game and 2012 has zero impact on that.

You realize you have me searching the CBA right now right???? 11:15 on a Sunday.

In my what if, after we have traded Joe, Josh is also traded while he is at the height of his value. You don't want to go into the season with No joe and Josh playing next to Al. Josh's numbers will sink like the titanic in his contract year. I say trade him for youth and picks.. and capspace.

Players numbers tend to get better in a contract year.

Wow you are going to feel silly here. They couldn't trade the 2011 because they already owed the 2012.An NBA team can trade their 1st round pick every single year, provided that they wait until after each draft to trade the following years 1st round pick. I don't have time to search for that but I am certain that is the rule as I've been told that by AHF and I believe Hawksfanatic in the past as well and didn't believe it until I saw it.So in this case, the 2012 draft is past and the Nets don't owe anyone their 2014 pick as far as I know, which means that their 2013 pick is fair game and 2012 has zero impact on that.

I found 1 site that agrees and about 50 that read it differently...trying to get it from the NBA rules themself.

Doesn't matter anyway. Just discovered http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailedNets own Houston's 2013 which frees up either for trade.

• Premium Member

I'm 99% sure you're right Dolfan. You can't trade consecutive picks - ex. you can't trade your 2013 & 2014 for a player. Or if you've traded your 2013 in one deal, you can't then turn around and offer your 2014 in another package. Teams have to make the selection, but once that's done, I believe all bets are off.I can't find the verbiage either, but it's something like that... I know that to be the case having watched the draft all these years. I read it somewhere too, just can't find it.Edit: Little bit of supporting verbiage here. Edited by Wretch

I'm 99% sure you're right Dolfan. You can't trade consecutive picks - ex. you can't trade your 2013 & 2014 for a player. Or if you've traded your 2013 in one deal, you can't then turn around and offer your 2014 in another package. Teams have to make the selection, but once that's done, I believe all bets are off.I can't find the verbiage either, but it's something like that... I know that to be the case having watched the draft all these years. I read it somewhere too, just can't find it.Edit: Little bit of supporting verbiage here.

Thanks Wretched One. And yep I knew I was right and pulled the answer straight from the mouth of the NBA salary cap guru Larry Coon.http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/370082-nba-rule-on-trading-future-1st-round-picks/