• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Let's play what if!

thecampster

I have another "what if" scenario. My question is would this team be better or worse this year if we kept everyone? How about next year?Atlanta in: Marshon Brooks, Jordan Farmar, Anthony Morrow, and Pau GasolBrooklyn in: Joe JohnsonL.A. in: Josh Smith and Marvin WilliamsPayroll this year would be just over the cap, but only by a few dollars so we'd easily be able to fill the roster out with MLE, and vet. min contracts. We'd have just over $50 million committed this year for the following roster:Teague/FarmarBrooks/JenkinsMorrow/Gasol/ScottHorford/PachuliaNext season, we'd have $37.5 million committed to the following players...Teague* (qualifying offer)Brooks/JenkinsGasolHorfordThat would leave us about $12 million to spend under the cap and then we'd have even greater flexibility after Gasol comes off the books in 2013. My question as originally stated is, would the 2012-13 team be as good or would be worse off if we stayed the course with this core? What about next season?

Why trade for Gasol if you already traded Joe? That deal only makes sense with him here and the Lakers were already turned down because they were asking for more than just Josh and filler.

Agreed, no way do I go for the older Gasol when we've shipped out JJ.

Agreed, no way do I go for the older Gasol when we've shipped out JJ.

I'm not advocating this. I'm just trying to figure out what Ferry is trying to do here. Atlanta may be in on Dwight, but I doubt they are serious contenders for him. I hope I'm wrong. If they're not going to go into total rebuilding mode, I'm trying to look at the logic behind what is the ultimate goal (obviously to win a championship). Gasol's contract is shorter and slighly less, plus he offers a skill set we don't currently have. I could see some logic behind it, although I agree we'd be better off with Joe and Gasol, but as we've looked at countless times, that wouldn't leave us with much else. This would be a case of is Joe and Smith greater than Gasol, Brooks, and extra $?As for the Lakers demands, every team starts negotiating at a high point and then reality sets in and demands have to come down.Do I think there are better options out there IF we trade both Joe and Josh? Absolutely. I'm just trying to see, based on all the various rumors, what could be the blueprint here. Edited by Dragitoff

Again, Drag. If the impetus behind Ferry trading Joe for expirings is financial flexibility for now and in the future, why would he pursue Gasol who will not offer the team flexibility in the present and is most likely not going to be part of the future?