• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Joe Johnson trade update from PeachtreeHoops

Admin

A lot more involved in this from the Nets side than just making a trade or not.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2012/7/2/3132319/nba-trade-rumors-joe-johnson-update

The one thing about this whole Joe Johnson trade rumor to the Nets is that I have been totally expecting things to fall apart.

Consider the following points of potential failure here:

[*]Deron Williams doesn't re-sign with Brooklyn

[*]The Nets want to wait on Dwight Howard.

[*]The Nets want to acquire other free agents that bringing Joe in would prevent.

[*]The Hawks ask for too much in return for Joe Johnson.

[*]Deron Williams re-signs with Brooklyn, but doesn't like the Joe Johnson approach the Nets are taking.

I am sure there are others but these have been enough to make me, while optimistic, still considerably cautious.

Yet, here we are -- two days later -- and not only is it still real, it feels like more momentum toward a deal.

Even in NBA Insider circles, it's looking more likely. Consider Chad Ford in his latest chat.

Chad Ford (1:34 PM)

Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Gerald Wallace, Mirza Teletovic, Brook Lopez.

Dave (Salt Lake)

How does Billy King still have a job? Seriously, how can he defend trading the 6th pick for Gerald Wallace, who they could have gotten anyways in free agency?

Chad Ford (1:36 PM)

Not only that. Because they traded for him, they were forced to do anything to re-sign him. Wallace's agent had them trapped in a corner. I couldn't find one team over the past week interested in Wallace for 3 years, $24 million let alone 4 years, $40 million. The Joe Johnson -- give away all of our remaining assets for one of the 3 worst contracts in the NBA debacle -- will be the icing on the cake. Enjoy your 42-40 Nets everyone!

Oof. Hey, uh, Chad, keep it down, will ya? Let's focus more on the stuff like Sebastian Pruiti came up with on Twitter today:

Seriously though, Joe Johnson is a really good catch and shoot guy (PPP of 1.191, putting him in the top 6% of all NBA players)...— SebastianPruiti (@SebastianPruiti) July 2, 2012

Yes, yes, let's focus on the Joe Johnson that killed it in 2003-2004 as a spot up killer for the Suns, shooting around 48 percent on threes for the year.

Zach Lowe at SI.com resets the scenarios the Nets are looking at in regards to who would be coming to Atlanta in such a deal.

The Nets could re-sign Williams and agree to trade for Johnson (who has four years and $89 million left on his contract) in one of two ways. The first is to go about $7.5 million under the cap, as explained above, and use the cap space to absorb Johnson's gargantuan contract in a trade that sends out four players - Johan Petro, Anthony Morrow, Jordan Farmar and Jordan Williams - whose salaries add up to about $7.3 million less than Johnson's $19.75 million salary for 2012-13. The math is very, very tight on this and may turn on the exact amount of Wallace's 2012-13 cap number.

As an alternative, Brooklyn could just stay over the cap (by keeping Humphries' cap hold on the books) and construct a similar deal for Johnson that may include Humphries as a sign-and-trade chip. Any deal in this over-the-cap scenario would have to include more outgoing salary. This path has the benefit of keeping the full mid-level exception, worth more than $5 million per season, available as a way of luring a better free agent. The Nets are reportedly interested in Bosnian star forward Mirza Teletovic as a mid-level candidate.

Read the whole thing -- it's an excellent synopsis of the Nets' options and makes it easy to see how this has gained momentum.

It once seemed impossible, now, seeing it in so many forums, entirely plausible and moving towards probable.

Crazy pills? Maybe, but it's a fun ride.

• Like 1

It's funny - I was just going to post something similar - including the part about 'keeping it down' so Billy King doesn't come to this senses. Still, I can't help myself:Why NJ would make this deal is beyond me. Dwight has made it clear he wants to be there; why not resign Deron and keep the cap space for one more year, then bring D12 into the fold after next season?I can understand that that scenario carries some risk, but I can't believe the altnerative is trading valuable expiring assets for a diminishing psuedo-star with an albatross of a contract that can't be amnestied.If I was Ferry, I'd relent on Brooks and get this deal done. It is absolutely miraculous in my mind that it's even being discussed.

It's funny - I was just going to post something similar - including the part about 'keeping it down' so Billy King doesn't come to this senses. Still, I can't help myself:Why NJ would make this deal is beyond me. Dwight has made it clear he wants to be there; why not resign Deron and keep the cap space for one more year, then bring D12 into the fold after next season?I can understand that that scenario carries some risk, but I can't believe the altnerative is trading valuable expiring assets for a diminishing psuedo-star with an albatross of a contract that can't be amnestied.If I was Ferry, I'd relent on Brooks and get this deal done. It is absolutely miraculous in my mind that it's even being discussed.

My guess is that Deron doesn't want to take the chance on Dwight. The guy could easily change his mind if he's dealt to the Lakers or Clippers or someplace else desirable or he could get badly injured and not be worth signing next year. So they get Joe now to say to Deron that we're building around you and here's enough talent to win this year and then we'll add Dwight in the offseason.If we can pull of this trade and get Brooks, Lopez or Humphries then Billy King should be executive of the year!

If I was Ferry, I'd relent on Brooks and get this deal done. It is absolutely miraculous in my mind that it's even being discussed.

Agreed.I think there is more to it............I think they want us to take Green and or Humphries back in a sign and trade so that the Nets can retain some of their expiring contracts. I'd rather have expiring contracts for the cap space in 2013 but I could live with 2 or 3 years of Kris Humphries if I had too.......That is if its the only pill necessary to shead JJ's $90 mill over the next 4 years. Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

I've been told that Deron wants Joe. He's not the only one. There was a report that Kobe wants Joe and Derrick Rose was on record saying that the only guy he was campaigning the Bulls to get in the "Summer of Lebron" was Joe.I find it funny how many elite players want to play with Joe and yet half the posters on this forum think he's some kind of Ed Gray scrub out there.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I don't see how its surprising. The Nets are looking up at us. Step one is improving your product for them. They've been terrible and now with their move they need to be in the playoffs. Getting quality players like Joe helps that. You don't think Deron/Joe/Wallace/Lopez is competitive with the hawks team this year? Sure we weren't a championship team but we were considered a possibility to go to the ECF. You think the Nets wouldn't consider that a major coup if they could be a competitive second round team this season?

I've been told that Deron wants Joe. He's not the only one. There was a report that Kobe wants Joe and Derrick Rose was on record saying that the only guy he was campaigning the Bulls to get in the "Summer of Lebron" was Joe.I find it funny how many elite players want to play with Joe and yet half the posters on this forum think he's some kind of Ed Gray scrub out there.

You need an elite player to pair with Joe. We are missing that elite player like Rose, Kobe, or Deron.I don't think anyone thinks Joe is a scrub here. His contract from age 31-34 is $90 million. I'd rather have the oppurtunity to bid on 2 max contract guys in 2013 who are better and younger then Joe. Edited by coachx

Sothron,He isnt Ed Gray but he is a permanet #2 option, not a number #1 like the Hawks envisioned. I like always say that he didnt play his contract, he contract played him. For people like Rose, Kobe and Deron, he is perfect. A scoring SG that can put off pressure of the #1 guy and made him even more dangerous.

I'd gladly take a resigned Kris Humphries off their hands. He's a very useful player, and he's still just 27 years old.

True. When he was being booed for being a Kardashian who looked like a cross between a soap star and surfer, it was also fueled by some thought that he was an over-privileged bum. Not so. The guy would elbow his mother across the head for an offensive rebound. Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

True. When he was being booed for being a Kardashian who looked like a cross between a soap star and surfer, it was also fueled by some thought that he was an over-privileged bum. Not so. The guy would elbow his mother across the head for an offensive rebound.

Fifth leading rebounder in the NBA in each of the past two seasons. Was tenth in double doubles last season, and is also starting to emerge as a pretty decent shot blocker. I say heck to the yes!I'd actually prefer Humphries over Brook Lopez, for whatever that's worth.

A lot more involved in this from the Nets side than just making a trade or not.

ok i get this deal can really happen and the nets can do this and instantly become better but like i said 12 hours ago! If Marshon Brooks isnt included than no deal will be made!

Fifth leading rebounder in the NBA in each of the past two seasons. Was tenth in double doubles last season, and is also starting to emerge as a pretty decent shot blocker. I say heck to the yes!I'd actually prefer Humphries over Brook Lopez, for whatever that's worth.

I do too. Brook Lopez doesn't rebound worth a flip.

Losing JJ will set us back. There is no doubt about that. We will be lucky to make the playoffs this upcoming season. Next offseason Horford might be asking to be traded. Let face facts the Hawks have gone as far as they could with this current group. It is time to shake things up. Getting rid of JJ contract will give Ferry the flexibility to shape this roster in his own image. Hawks are at a point where they need a change just for change sake.

Losing JJ will set us back. There is no doubt about that. We will be lucky to make the playoffs this upcoming season. Next offseason Horford might be asking to be traded. Let face facts the Hawks have gone as far as they could with this current group. It is time to shake things up. Getting rid of JJ contract will give Ferry the flexibility to shape this roster in his own image. Hawks are at a point where they need a change just for change sake.

PG

Posted Image

SG

Posted Image

SF

Posted Image

PF

Posted Image

C

Posted Image

• Like 2

Other players don't give a crap about Joe's contract either. Just like Joe didn't care that his contract would severely limit this team. These players only care about their wants.