• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Nets Joe Johnson trade done via NetsDaily

GameTime

Not happy to see Joe go perse. His first five season here, he was a bonafide top 5 shooting guard and helped us get to where we are. But he is declining and the contract just exasperated things.Cap space is good, but not with a guy like BK using it. Gotta give Ferry a chance to see what his vision is for it.

Edited by Kimsey

3 years 6.9 million only year one is guaranteed for 2.3m

Sweet !Good move by Ferry. Preserve that cap space for the summer of 2013 when we can target 2 max contract free agents such as:Dwight HowardChris PaulAndrew BynumJames HardenAl JeffersonAndre IgguodolaStephen CurryTy LawsonDerrick Favorsetc.

I'm not an expert but i'm guessing that's what it took for the salaries to match up. He's old if he's getting a 3 year deal though.

I don't think salaries have to match up, they have cap space to take in more money.

Sweet !Good move by Ferry. Preserve that cap space for the summer of 2013 when we can target 2 max contract free agents such as:Dwight HowardChris PaulAndrew BynumJames HardenAl JeffersonAndre IgguodolaStephen CurryTy LawsonDerrick Favorsetc.

None of them will sign with us. We are the new Houston with two much better players and a much worse supporting cast.

FYI...............I'm already getting calls from the Hawks Ticket Team trying to sell tickets and confirm the trade is done.I tell them wait a second..........we can't use that cap space until next season any way. Call me back then.I'm amped to have shead the worst contract in the NBA to have some cap flexibiity. I'd rather dream big for a championship vs. keeping the status quo with JJ.

• Premium Member

You can't really look at it like that. You must also evaluate what we are to do with the cap space flexibility. Just because that is not a hard asset doesn't mean it isn't the MOST valuable element in the deal. Hell, it looks like we freed up $7M just for this offseason alone. Next year is >$20M savings. Getting a couple of servicable young players and a first rounder is icing on the cake.I get where you're coming from, it's hard to be EXCITED because the team is going backwards on the court in '12/'13. But unlike the last rebuild, we now have some flexibility and some core pieces in place. It won't be a 3-4 year rebuild....this ought to be the quick variety.

We have one piece. One. Horford. Everyone else on the roster is gone (including Josh) at the end of the season and Jeff Teague is frankly a borderline scrub as far as I'm concerned. He's nowhere near being a real franchise point guard.We basically go back into the lottery with cap room that people seem to forget we couldn't do ANYTHING with a few years ago because no players wanted to come here.The only thing we can hope is that we tank like tankity tank tank tanks and luck in the lottery and we can con...vince some free agents to come next offseason.

I don't think salaries have to match up, they have cap space to take in more money.None of them will sign with us. We are the new Houston with two much better players and a much worse supporting cast.

I don't think so. Al Horford is better then any player on their roster.Lets see who else will have cap room next year before we play fortune teller.

We have one piece. One. Horford. Everyone else on the roster is gone (including Josh) at the end of the season and Jeff Teague is frankly a borderline scrub as far as I'm concerned. He's nowhere near being a real franchise point guard.We basically go back into the lottery with cap room that people seem to forget we couldn't do ANYTHING with a few years ago because no players wanted to come here.The only thing we can hope is that we tank like tankity tank tank tanks and luck in the lottery and we can con...vince some free agents to come next offseason.

When all you need is 2-3 stars to compete in this league (along with a well-thought out bench), 1 piece is not to be scoffed at. Josh will either be piece #2 or trade fodder for the same. Tankopotumus would be a decent strategy to get piece #3.

I wonder why yall is cry and stuff like that, we got rid of a 85+ million dollar contract and we will finallly have flexibilty and yall whine about it. We can build this team right. no 6'9" experiments, etc etc etc

We made a first step, sure. But we are going to have to take correct 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc.. steps for this trade to have been successful. Opening up that cap space only helps if we use it correctly and can convince people to play in Atl.
  • Like 1

Guest Walter

I don't think salaries have to match up, they have cap space to take in more money.None of them will sign with us. We are the new Houston with two much better players and a much worse supporting cast.

The salaries do have to match up close if NJ wanted to keep Humphries and the mid level EX. I wish we had gotten Brooks, but...You sound like another negative nancy poster. Also, we're like Houston but not like Houston? I'm confused. Come on man. It was a must do. There weren't any other Russian Billionaires and GMs with the initials B.K. crazy enough to do this. WW

That gives us 11 million in expiring salaries. When can they be traded, do we hold unto them and let their contracts expire or do we use them to get a "real" player at the trading deadline? I guess it depends on what and who is offered.