• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hollinger says the Nets cannot get Dwight now because of 74.3 million hard cap

Admin

• Premium Member

The Nets trade offer has other problems: those guys are RFA. What if they don't want to go to Orlando like jaybird posted earlier? If I'm Brook Lopez and I already went through rebuilding why the hell would I go through it again?

• Moderators

Ah, I'm seeing from larry coon a new reason as to why there is a hard cap for the nets that is different from what i thought. This is just unfair, the cba isn't available so it just appears that larry coon is making up things along the way. Not cool, NBA.

I don't understand why no one has posted it yet. The NBA players' association still has the old CBA posted. Definitely not cool.

• Moderators

I know Larry Coon has incentives to not let it out, but he doesn't have that much power. Now, ESPN partly employs Coon and has a lot of power. Just saying.

I don't see the financial incentive being very high, though. Coon was still a valuable resource when the past CBA was available. The number of people who would read the CBA so closely that they wouldn't need Coon are probably interested enough in those topics that they would still closely follow what Coon had to say. I just don't see keeping the CBA on wraps as doing anything significant to promote ESPN to the point where they would use their leverage to get it kept under wraps.

• Moderators

Who else could be an expert (like Coon) if the CBA is not available?

I don't doubt it helps Coon but how does it help ESPN? If the CBA is available, Coon is still by far their best resource on cap issues and other CBA topics and the casual fan will never read or understand the CBA anyway and the hardcore buffs who would read it will be interested in Coon's thoughts anyway so I don't see it affecting "demand" for Coon very much from ESPN's perspective. I strongly think there is some other reason the CBA has been kept non-public (likely a demand from the league or NBAPA or agreement between the parties on that point during negotiations that has turned into this policy of keeping it non-public).

I really miss having the CBA around. My favorite college player of all time (Jeff Fryer) played on the Albany Patroons, which were coached by both Phil Jackson and George Karl!

His CBA knowledge would destroy anyone at ESPN other than Coon.

AHF angling to be fanatic's lawyer.
  • Like 1

Campster maybe?? Haha jk campy... had to get back atcha a little for the 10,000% wrong comment.

Nope...was wrong I guess but everything posted everywhere said no 2 picks in consecutive years. I still contend I'm the man since I predicted the SAR trade 8 days early. I've got bank ;)

• Moderators

AHF angling to be fanatic's lawyer.

When I get him signed on to be CNNSI's cap expert, I demand 5% of the massive 8 figure contract all the top cap experts get. That is how much they get, right?

When I get him signed on to be CNNSI's cap expert, I demand 5% of the massive 8 figure contract all the top cap experts get. That is how much they get, right?

They don't get 8 figures but I get your point. You might do better with your day to day clients.

• Moderators

No way it's a had cap as LA has just added Nash and traded away no salaries. The steep tax penalty is the hard cap and I like it that way.

LA had a salary exception from trading Lamar Odom to Dallas for nothing. For cap purposes, the trade was theoretically Odom last year for Nash now. It works without a problem. The hard cap that was being referenced depends (purportedly) on NJ using the full MLE (which would limit them to $4M over the luxury tax line) but since they are using the mini-mid instead, they aren't subject to the hard cap anyway.