• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Nets back in Hunt for Howard

capstone21

My only concerns with Paul and D12 are health related. Paul seems to get banged up a lot and D12 could have this back thing become a long term nightmare to deal with. Regarding signing them I think there's a great chance and I think if we show Smoove the love he deserves and market him as an all-star it will look great for our organization. I would absolutely expect Morrow back with the team since he's good friends with D12. He and Jenkins should be able to hold down the SG spot quite well with Smoove D12 and CP3 around them. Just gotta find a quality SF to round out the starting lineup.

IMO, it is great that we finally have a GM that realizes the value of having players who are on their rookie contract when trying to fill out a bench. If the Hawks are able to land Dwight and possibly Chris, the Hawks will need those rookie contracts as bench options. John Jenkins, Ivan Johnson, and Mike Scott are going to be very affordable players over the next 3-4 years, and the Hawks will have two first round picks next year. The Hawks do have an interesting guy, IMO, that will be playing on their Las Vegas team as a UDFA that I feel may come into play sometime down the road as a small forward. John Shurna is a highly productive player who is a lot like Steve Novak. He gives the team another shooter to space the floor for Dwight and Josh.

IMO, it is great that we finally have a GM that realizes the value of having players who are on their rookie contract when trying to fill out a bench. If the Hawks are able to land Dwight and possibly Chris, the Hawks will need those rookie contracts as bench options. John Jenkins, Ivan Johnson, and Mike Scott are going to be very affordable players over the next 3-4 years, and the Hawks will have two first round picks next year. The Hawks do have an interesting guy, IMO, that will be playing on their Las Vegas team as a UDFA that I feel may come into play sometime down the road as a small forward. John Shurna is a highly productive player who is a lot like Steve Novak. He gives the team another shooter to space the floor for Dwight and Josh.

If he's anything like Novak then I'm definitely interested! I wanted Novak when he first came into the league and even though it took him a while to find his niche, or it took the coaches a while to find his niche, he certainly fills it well. Maybe he can be our red rocket?

I don't see why D12 would ever go to LA. So he can be Shaq 2.0? They don't like each other and D12 doesn't like it when people say he copies him. D12 also wants to be The Man on the team and city. He's not getting that with Kobe there. Also Nash is too old to make a difference in his decision long term.

If the Nets land D12, the owner will be paying 107.5 millions in luxury taxes over 4 years, but he doesn't give a hoot. I wonder what is it like to have sooo much money that 107 mil is chump change.Prokhorov, unlike the vast number of NBA owners, has pooh-poohed the idea of a revamped luxury tax, bankrolling the Nets’ uninhibited spending and star chasing this offseason. If the Nets pull off a trade with Orlando for Howard and, assuming they re-sign Howard to a max deal and keep the contracts of Deron Williams, Joe Johnson and Gerald Wallace, Prokhorov will pay a luxury tax of approximately $107.5 million over the next four years, according to a league source. New York Daily News

If the Nets land D12, the owner will be paying 107.5 millions in luxury taxes over 4 years, but he doesn't give a hoot. I wonder what is it like to have sooo much money that 107 mil is chump change. Prokhorov, unlike the vast number of NBA owners, has pooh-poohed the idea of a revamped luxury tax, bankrolling the Nets’ uninhibited spending and star chasing this offseason. If the Nets pull off a trade with Orlando for Howard and, assuming they re-sign Howard to a max deal and keep the contracts of Deron Williams, Joe Johnson and Gerald Wallace, Prokhorov will pay a luxury tax of approximately $107.5 million over the next four years, according to a league source. New York Daily News

I hope that someday you'll know what that feels like JayBird! And damn that's a crazy amount of money!!

I hope that someday you'll know what that feels like JayBird! And damn that's a crazy amount of money!!

I think I will start playing the lotto deligently in the hopes of one day finding out, my first big purchase would be to buy Hawksquawk....LOL.

I think I will start playing the lotto deligently in the hopes of one day finding out, my first big purchase would be to buy Hawksquawk....LOL.

I'm sure that Chillzatl could probably arrange the sale of Hawksquawk to you for a few million. Hopefully you'd keep me on board as the admin-in-chief.

I'm sure that Chillzatl could probably arrange the sale of Hawksquawk to you for a few million. Hopefully you'd keep me on board as the admin-in-chief.

Mos-def. I will be a good owner (unlike the ASG) who will let computer people do computer things. Edited by JayBirdHawk

Camp, you're just changing definitions here. And I certainly won't take that $100 bet, most people glaze over the CBA. I get excited when someone isn't doing that though because this stuff really interests me.

There is no "right to sign a player" with the exception of draft picks. There is no such thing as a "Bird right" but there is a Larry Bird Exception (really titled the "Veteran Free Agent Exception" in which said free agent is "Qualifying") to the salary cap that one can invoke if certain criteria are met. So yes, in a sense you cannot trade the certain criteria that allows a player to be signed by a team using the Larry Bird Exception. But it is good to note that [the certain criteria that needs to be met in order for the Larry Bird Exception to be used] is not a right. I am probably nitpicking more than I should, I just really like this stuff.

I don't know about your asset example, but the Hawks could include Damp and Vlad in a trade. In the previous CBA, you could really have 3 scenarios of the Trade Player Exception in action:

1) Traded Player for one or more Replacement Players based upon post-assignment salary (simultaneous and subject to 125%...)

2) Traded Player for one or more Replacement Players based upon post-assignment salary but it does not happen immediately (non-simultaneous and subject to 1 year and 100%...)

3) "A Team may aggregate the pre-trade Salaries in two (2) or more Player Contracts for the purpose of acquiring in a simultaneous trade one (1) or more Replacement Players whose post-trade Salaries" (simultaneous and subject to 125%..)

So we are thinking about option 3 here. You could aggregate players in a S&T but the S&Ted salaries did not count in terms of what the trading team could take back. They did count on the post-assignment. When you sign on for a S&T you have a clause that states:

So the contract only binds once the trade is executed, making the pre-trade salary 0. That does not imply you cannot trade them together. We did not see this happen previously because there is not much advantage to this strategy at all. It was more advantageous for a team to make two separate transactions as non-simultaneous trades to gain the "TPE" or do it simultaneously to take back salary.

Clearly the new CBA must have done away with the pre-trade language because DeShawn was signed to exactly fit within the Traded Player Exception. They must have changed the wording on how aggregate trades function or the wording of the S&T clause. If they still allow for multiple S&T (like the previous wording did) then it actually makes it advantageous for Damp and Vlad to be packaged instead of put in a non-simultaneous situation.

Relevant sections from previous CBA are Exhibit A - Uniform Player Contract (Exhibit 8 in that); Article II Section 3, m; and Article VII Section 6, h (Traded Player Exception). I will pony up for my own $100 bet on this material as well.

Actually, I thought about the value of our F/A the other day. Vlad could play SF for us some in a Dwight dominated lineup. But our F/A vet mins could be packaged to make a deal work except they have to be given 3 year deals and I'm not sure Orlando does it.