• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

I don't want Dwight Howard coming here

Gray Mule

Dwight Howard and Josh Smith together here - - - WOW!!Waight a minute. What would it cost for one season rental for Dwight Howard?Every player of real value from here except Josh Smith. Then, both of themwill be free agents at the end of the year.Now, when they both walk, all the Hawks have left are D-League players. They willexpect all our starters, except Josh, for Dwight Howard.Still want this one season rental? What can DH & Josh do, together, with our benchplayers? And, Superman has a bad back. Surgery after the season ended. He may be 100%O.K. and never have any more trouble. Then again, who knows for sure. Would yoube willing to gamble everything, not knowing?Just something else for you to think about.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I think you can relax GM. There's no way Ferry would trade for Howard unless he comes with a clean bill of health and a signed extension. It will cost us probably Horford/Teague and a first rounder but a healthy and resigned Howard is worth that cost.

• Like 1

What I think about is that we have a reputation of not being able to acquire quality free agents. Getting a resigned Howard would do so much to change this franchise. A rental wouldn't. A player of Howard's level wanting to be here is such a big thing... No longer would this place look unattractive to all the free agents. The cost of not getting Howard is much higher.We're back to 1999, but with a much worse reputation.

As you may or not know I work with someone that used to work for the HAWKS. I bump into him at the office the other day and he tells me some things about Dwight that I didn't know. He knows Dwight's family as well. He says that there is no way in hell he plays for the Hawks and if they trade for him he won't stay.1. He has 5 children with 5 different women and it would be too much baby mama drama for him if he lived and played in Atlanta.2. He doesn't have a great relationship with his family (especially with his father). This goes back to how religious and humble he was when he was drafted now he is living foul. He comes from a very religious family. I guess you can't serve two masters.3. It would be too many distractions and alot of his personal business will be made public4. the only person he ever really respected was his high school coach and he was trying to get him a job in Orlando5. Josh has been talking bad about Hawks management and ownership but now is trying to sell Dwight on coming here.

• Like 3

The whole gripe with the Hawks is that we are a team with a 2nd round in the playoffs ceiling. Now all of a sudden we have a legit chance to go out and get a guy who can get us above that ceiling and we are complaining that the "price is too steep"The truth is we can't afford ot NOT do everything in our power to get Dwight Howard here if we truly have aspirations of getting past the 2nd round.The NBA is not like the NFL where any team can win a title. There are too many playoff games which eliminates the underdog teams leaving only teams who have the star talent. That's why NBA has least amount of parity in all of sportsIf you truly have championship aspirations, then you take the risk to get Dwight Howard.Think of it like jumping out of a burning building on say the 3rd floor. Sure you could die, but at least there is a chance you might live. If you stay in the burning building you have no chance to live.

• Like 2

As you may or not know I work with someone that used to work for the HAWKS. I bump into him at the office the other day and he tells me some things about Dwight that I didn't know. He knows Dwight's family as well. He says that there is no way in hell he plays for the Hawks and if they trade for him he won't stay. 1. He has 5 children with 5 different women and it would be too much baby mama drama for him if he lived and played in Atlanta. 2. He doesn't have a great relationship with his family (especially with his father). This goes back to how religious and humble he was when he was drafted now he is living foul. He comes from a very religious family. I guess you can't serve two masters. 3. It would be too many distractions and alot of his personal business will be made public 4. the only person he ever really respected was his high school coach and he was trying to get him a job in Orlando 5. Josh has been talking bad about Hawks management and ownership but now is trying to sell Dwight on coming here.

As you may or not know I work with someone that used to work for the HAWKS. I bump into him at the office the other day and he tells me some things about Dwight that I didn't know. He knows Dwight's family as well. He says that there is no way in hell he plays for the Hawks and if they trade for him he won't stay. 1. He has 5 children with 5 different women and it would be too much baby mama drama for him if he lived and played in Atlanta. 2. He doesn't have a great relationship with his family (especially with his father). This goes back to how religious and humble he was when he was drafted now he is living foul. He comes from a very religious family. I guess you can't serve two masters. 3. It would be too many distractions and alot of his personal business will be made public 4. the only person he ever really respected was his high school coach and he was trying to get him a job in Orlando 5. Josh has been talking bad about Hawks management and ownership but now is trying to sell Dwight on coming here.

Well all those are legit intangible factors that may play a role and may be why Dwight has never showed interest in coming here. But that doesn't change the fact that he's our only hope at a star player. And that's a chance we have to take Sometimes our biggest fears are much worse in our mind than reality. Maybe a year in Atlanta without as much problems as he envisions in his head, changes his mind as well

First of all, I understand that many people have their opinion about this issues. Frankly, I believe that Lakers is going to get him and we can complain about how the superstars want to go to this top city and still dont win jack. But for the Hawks, trying to get him is doing is getting alot of attention from local sport writers, causal fans that wants to have a NBA superstar. The hard truth is this, the Hawks didnt do too good when it comes down to attendation and this team is still losing money left and right. Hawks is going to need to bring in new fans to this team or we can look at Seattle about what happens next.Right now, this team needs a idently and a face to this team. A face like how Michael Vick was for the Falcons until that issues, or like Chipper for the Braves. A face that we can idently as Hawks basketball. A face that wants to bring new ppl into the fold and support this team even more. If Dwight wants to be that guy, then he can be the show but if he wants to play second fiddle and follow the money trail, that fine as well.

The whole gripe with the Hawks is that we are a team with a 2nd round in the playoffs ceiling. Now all of a sudden we have a legit chance to go out and get a guy who can get us above that ceiling and we are complaining that the "price is too steep" The truth is we can't afford ot NOT do everything in our power to get Dwight Howard here if we truly have aspirations of getting past the 2nd round. The NBA is not like the NFL where any team can win a title. There are too many playoff games which eliminates the underdog teams leaving only teams who have the star talent. That's why NBA has least amount of parity in all of sports If you truly have championship aspirations, then you take the risk to get Dwight Howard. Think of it like jumping out of a burning building on say the 3rd floor. Sure you could die, but at least there is a chance you might live. If you stay in the burning building you have no chance to live.

Its not that often that we've agreed before, but you hit the hammer on the nail here. You only win big in this league with superstar talent; sorry, but Horford, Teague, and Smith aint it. I'm not saying that Ferry should empty the cupboards completety but trading for a talent like Howard should be seriously explored. If the Hawks want to be taken seriously, they have to eventually get one of these top talents to come here during his prime. The reason why the draft looks soooo unappealing to many on this board is because of the numerous lotto picks that were wasted in previous rebuilds; NO ONE trusts this organization enough to go through that again. If you're going to go for the gold, don't come back with CZ studs. The next phase of this rebuild/reload/retool thing had better net someone other than another Robin who needs Batman to carry the movie...

Call me crazy, but a big issue that I still have is Josh Smith. I really just don't want him on this team. I know he has tools and brings a lot of production. But it has been well chronicled about his "intangibles". I just don't think he 's a winner. Too much immaturity and lack of discipline to build around him. You can't count on Josh to do the right thing.

Don't these athletes ever learn to wrap up? I heard Amare Stoudamire has multiple baby mamas as well. Heck I was hearing the other day about how Antonio Cromartie of the New York Jets has 12 kids by several women. They make all that money and can't afford contraceptives?

• Premium Member

Call me crazy, but a big issue that I still have is Josh Smith. I really just don't want him on this team. I know he has tools and brings a lot of production. But it has been well chronicled about his "intangibles". I just don't think he 's a winner. Too much immaturity and lack of discipline to build around him. You can't count on Josh to do the right thing.

You're not crazy. Bring Dwight here and you'd get two players who already have shown a tendency toward immaturity and poutiness having their own built-in enabler. They'd think they were bigger than the team. Oh, and also - who would score? It's not like either guy has the ability to dominate at the offensive end like a Tim Duncan or Shaq. I don't see those two as the core of anything resembling a championship team. Just a team that would make a lot of ESPN highlight reels only to get crushed in either the first or second round of the playoffs. Then go back to the GM at the end of the summer demanding trades because they blame everyone except themselves. Sorry, I want no part of Dwight here unless we get rid of Josh and bring in a perimeter scoring threat who can lead the team at the offensive end. And without Josh, he ain't coming. Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1

Dwight Howard and Josh Smith together here - - - WOW!! Waight a minute. What would it cost for one season rental for Dwight Howard? Every player of real value from here except Josh Smith. Then, both of them will be free agents at the end of the year. Now, when they both walk, all the Hawks have left are D-League players. They will expect all our starters, except Josh, for Dwight Howard. Still want this one season rental? What can DH & Josh do, together, with our bench players? And, Superman has a bad back. Surgery after the season ended. He may be 100% O.K. and never have any more trouble. Then again, who knows for sure. Would you be willing to gamble everything, not knowing? Just something else for you to think about.

It wouldnt shock me if he came here against his will and was Speedy Clnkston for one year and bailed.I would still do the trade though and take the risk. If he plays 20 games thats 20 times what Sheed played here. lol