• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

ITS A PROCESS PEOPLE

tonegully

We fell in love with our Hawks even though we talk bad about them so much in the in game chat lol.BUT Ferry did what needed to be done. I loved Joe and never getting rid of my jersey but with those contracts we couldnt bring in any type of impact player to help this team get over the hump. Did you look at our bench this year? We went from an up and coming team to one of the oldest teams in the league!!! Lets be serious here. We were not going to win anything this year or next year. Not with the current team and not with every ring chaser running to the Heat. They had FIVE years to get it together and they couldnt do it. Something had to be done.Joe and Marvin are gone and so are those terrible contracts. Now that i think about it, if Joe wanted to win in ATL he shouldve taken less money, but thats another topic. We are now going to have room to make moves to improve this team big time.Personally if we are anything less than a 4 seed we need to trade Smoove if he isnt going to sign an extention and get in the lottery and draft some real talent.I look at Ferry doing just like TD did and is doing with the Falcons. except the falcons were in a worst position than we are. Finish bad get a franchise player to build around, add a big time FA and start from there. We are in that some position to do that right now. So i give Ferry 3 years until i expect HC in the 1st round and being a real contender. plus 3 years Miami, Celtics, Knicks will be all on the decline and we can make our move.Im tired of typing and i will come back and finish....

I disagree.

For one, the ASG never really considered going into the Luxury Tax in order to put together the best possible team here. When you're trying to assemble a CHAMPIONSHIP caliber team, going into the Luxury Tax is almost a given . . . unless you get extremely lucky like the Thunder, and have all of your young talent turn into All-Star caliber players within their first 5 years in the league.

As for the ASG . .

- They never used the mid-level exception to bring in a player

- They never used the bi-annual exception to bring in a player

- They traded away 2 first round draft picks

- They never traded away any of their "core" for a different player

This could very easily be your Atlanta Hawks right now

PG: Teague

G: Johnson - Jordan C

F: Marvin

PF: Smith - Kenneth Faried

C: Horford - Zaza

That would be your core 8. And let's say that instead of John Jenkins, we chose Jeff Taylor to back up Marvin. Those 9 players would roughly represent 64 million in contracts. You'd have 7 mill to spare to add a minimum 4 players, if you wanted to avoid the luxury tax.

Or

You could use your mid-level exception and your bi-annual exception and add 2 good veteran players.

Mid-Level: Andre Miller

Bi-Annual: Reggie Evans

New Hawks

PG: Teague - Miller

G: Johnson - Jordan C.

F: Marvin - Taylor

PF: Smith - Faried - R. Evans

C: Horford - Zaza

That bench is a heck of a lot better than what we've trotted out the past 8 years in ATL. It's not stocked with unproductive vets like Jason Collins and Vladimir Radmanovic. It's stocked with players that can actually play.

And this is just from a "keep your draft picks and use the MLE and Bi-Annual" perspective. We're not even talking about trades of "the core" for equal or better players. Players that may change the chemistry of this team for the better.

The bottom line is that the ASG didn't do ALL they could do in order to build a winner. They did all they could do, while NOT going over the Luxury Tax. There's a big difference in that.

Edited by northcyde
  • Like 2

• Moderators

The ASG didn't go all-out but they did have one of the top payrolls last season. Just for fun, we did use the MLE - on Speedy Claxton - and did pay the luxury tax this past season.While we could have done some things differently, blowing our lottery picks was the main issue in our development.

Like I was saying its a process. Ferry is here to turn the whole organization around. I really dont care about the next couple of years. Miami is going to dominate anyways as well as the Nets if they get Howard. We should do a total rebuild in my opinion.

• Premium Member

Like I was saying its a process. Ferry is here to turn the whole organization around. I really dont care about the next couple of years. Miami is going to dominate anyways as well as the Nets if they get Howard. We should do a total rebuild in my opinion.

I agree that Joe's contract had to go because he was 31 and his style of play wasn't championship quality but I might still disagree about Marvin. Marvin was owed 14-15 million dollars over 2 year hardly an atrocious contract and is only 25. If we don't sign anyone after the season which is what it looks like, then the Marvin trade made no sense. Marvin may have been an average offensive player but as the season progressed, it became apparent the he was an important so called glue guy because of his size defense and 3 point efficiency. Now we are talking about adding guys like Kaman (12 mil) and Rashard Lewis ( Has been) just to make the team competitive. I for one thought that the team would have been still competitive had we just lost Joe Johnson. Weren't we undefeated last year in game in which Johnson missed anyway?