• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Merged: ESPN Marc Stein: Hawks still think they are alive in Dwight trade chase

GameTime

I didnt think we could trade Harris for 90 days

Our only immediate, packageable, tradeable assets after the trades go down tomorrow are: Horford (12), Smith (13.2), Teague (2.4), Zaza (5.3), draft picks and every unsigned player that was on our roster at the end of last year (vlad, Damp, Twin, Pargo, Green, etc) in a sign and trade. The reason I asked my question is Howard makes 19.3 million, we are over the cap so we can only take back 150% of the salary we give up. Meaning we have to send Orlando a bare minimum of 12.76 million in salary. So if the deal doesn't involve Horford, we must package Zaza, Teague and 5 million dollars worth of unsigned players in sign and trades. This is why Horford has to be traded. Also, if they package JRich....we need to come up with another 3.8 million ish to send to them over the 12.76.

Our only immediate, packageable, tradeable assets after the trades go down tomorrow are: Horford (12), Smith (13.2), Teague (2.4), Zaza (5.3), draft picks and every unsigned player that was on our roster at the end of last year (vlad, Damp, Twin, Pargo, Green, etc) in a sign and trade. The reason I asked my question is Howard makes 19.3 million, we are over the cap so we can only take back 150% of the salary we give up. Meaning we have to send Orlando a bare minimum of 12.76 million in salary. So if the deal doesn't involve Horford, we must package Zaza, Teague and 5 million dollars worth of unsigned players in sign and trades. This is why Horford has to be traded. Also, if they package JRich....we need to come up with another 3.8 million ish to send to them over the 12.76.

I'm of the impression that we CAN move assets from the NJ trade right now, but that we can only move them in separate deals or maybe with current Hawks players. At least that's my understanding from discussing this with MaceCase earlier today.

I'm of the impression that we CAN move assets from the NJ trade right now, but that we can only move them in separate deals or maybe with current Hawks players. At least that's my understanding from discussing this with MaceCase earlier today.

See, I've heard that before but not seen it in practice because of the "sign and trade" in the deal can't be official until tonight. That's why our deal isn't done so until that deal is done, they aren't our assets to trade. We could "framework" a deal but we couldn't execute it. If there were no signings in the deal...absolutely possible theorectically. But assume for a second Stephenson changed his mind before midnight and said....nah...going to Cali. You wouldn't have the original assets to complete the first deal. None of these free agent deals are done right now. This again is why I think there is no official word from the Hawks from office about the Dwight deal. They need to finish the NJ deal so there is no snafu with deal 1.

See, I've heard that before but not seen it in practice because of the "sign and trade" in the deal can't be official until tonight. That's why our deal isn't done so until that deal is done, they aren't our assets to trade. We could "framework" a deal but we couldn't execute it. If there were no signings in the deal...absolutely possible theorectically. But assume for a second Stephenson changed his mind before midnight and said....nah...going to Cali. You wouldn't have the original assets to complete the first deal. None of these free agent deals are done right now. This again is why I think there is no official word from the Hawks from office about the Dwight deal. They need to finish the NJ deal so there is no snafu with deal 1.

Yeah Mace was saying that Stephenson definitely cannot be packaged with anyone else but that other incoming players can be moved along immediately as of July 11 when the paperwork is official. The question is can they be packaged with players currently on the roster or not. I hope that you're right about why the Hawks front office has been quiet.

Yeah Mace was saying that Stephenson definitely cannot be packaged with anyone else but that other incoming players can be moved along immediately as of July 11 when the paperwork is official. The question is can they be packaged with players currently on the roster or not. I hope that you're right about why the Hawks front office has been quiet.

Maybe I'm not being clear. In the event you do package those players because its the offseason and they couldn't technically play for anyone for 60 days anyway (which is the loophole I'm assuming), you couldn't consummate that deal until deal 1 is finished. Deal 2 would need to fit CBA and Salary rules the criteria of which can't be established until deal 1 is finished. Until Stephenson's deal is done, the Hawk's salary is not set and the pieces coming in the other deal are only possibly ours. For example, let's say Petro gets here and fails the physical. Deal 1 is off meaning you don't have assets for deal 2. Can't finish deal 2 until deal 1 is complete...totally complete.

Maybe I'm not being clear. In the event you do package those players because its the offseason and they couldn't technically play for anyone for 60 days anyway (which is the loophole I'm assuming), you couldn't consummate that deal until deal 1 is finished. Deal 2 would need to fit CBA and Salary rules the criteria of which can't be established until deal 1 is finished. Until Stephenson's deal is done, the Hawk's salary is not set and the pieces coming in the other deal are only possibly ours. For example, let's say Petro gets here and fails the physical. Deal 1 is off meaning you don't have assets for deal 2. Can't finish deal 2 until deal 1 is complete...totally complete.

I completely understand what you're saying. What you're missing is that the deal is official as of today (now that it's July 11th). I'd have to assume that all players have had physicals already so there won't be any sort of hold up like that. And depending on how much salary we're sending back out we might be sending enough where it won't matter what our cap situation is like as we could be giving them enough using the NJ players to even take back as much salary as we send out.

Guest Walter

If Orlando can really end up with 2 rookies, 3 1sts and $15 mil in expirings plus cash, we can't touch that.

You mean like JT, Jenkins, Petro, Stevenson, ZaZa, Jordan Williams, Farmar, Houston 1st, and our firsts 2013 and 2015? I'm not sure we can repackage them, but if we can... Maybe not as good as Houston's 2 rookies but Houston's 1st looks better without Dwight than with him. Mind you, I think Horford could return 2 more 1sts or a 1st and/or a star rookie contract player alah Harden and Orlando would be crazy not to want him plus some over Houston's deal. W