• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What's our Salary Cap Situation?

MrNique

Some of you are better cap people than me, but here are my numbers:Teague 2,433,076Josh 13,200,000Al 12,000,000Zaza 5,248,750Ivan 962,195 (hold)Jenkins 1,204,560 (assuming he signed at the customary 120%)Scott 473,604 (rook minimum)Farmar 1,500,000 (buyout number)Morrow 4,000,000Petro 3,500,000Stevenson 2,300,000Williamson 762,195Harris 8,500,000Korver 5,000,000 (once it goes through)Lou Williams 5,000,000 (assuming he got full mid level)Total: 66,084,380 (Tax Line: 70,307,000)So IF there isn't a big trade made and we roll with this team what can we do?A) Bi-Annual Exception of 1,957,000B) Vet MinimumThat would be to get our starting SF I assume. We only have the one roster spot left after Korver. Even if we used the exception we would still be under the tax line a fair amount. (68,041,380). So we could take on a little salary in a trade if we wanted/needed to without going over.Are my numbers way wrong?Ferry really is doing a good job and the team should still be fairly competitive as we move to next phase.

I saw a report that I cant find now a few days ago saying Lou signed for 3 years 9 mill. Thats a huge discount and leaves us some of the mid level exemption. I dont think its true though, Im guessing he got the full mle.

Sorry this took a while to respond to. I was waiting on ShamSports to update. They haven't yet. So using hoopshype it is listed below.

Filling in the empty spots with the best guess we have. We are currently between 63 and 65 million. 13 players on the roster, 1 waived and going overseas (14 total).

Player 2012/13

Josh Smith

F $13,200,000

Al Horford

F/C $12,000,000

Devin Harris

PG $8,500,000

Zaza Pachulia

C $5,248,750

Lou Williams

G ???

Kyle Korver

G/F $5,000,000

Anthony Morrow

G/F $4,000,000

Johan Petro

C $3,500,000

Jeff Teague

PG $2,433,076

DeShawn Stevenson

G/F $2,240,450

John Jenkins

G $1,204,560

Ivan Johnson

F/C ???

Jordan Williams

F $762,195

Jordan Farmar

Waived TOTALS: $53,089,031

Center - 2

F/C - 2

F - 2

G/F - 3

G - 2

PG - 2

I'm hoping this positional breakdown helps explain what I think roster makeup will be.

Positional labels are based on what positions I believe they will commonly play during the course of the year.

Edited by thecampster

Last year we were in luxury tax so not only paid a penalty but we lost the money that goes to non-luxury teamsThis year we need to stay out of lottery unless we get a star like Dwight....large penalties for repeat offenders so no reason to do that until we get cp3/d12 next summer

Last year we were in luxury tax so not only paid a penalty but we lost the money that goes to non-luxury teams

This year we need to stay out of lottery luxury tax unless we get a star like Dwight....large penalties for repeat offenders so no reason to do that until we get cp3/d12 next summer

Pretty sure you meant luxury tax there and not lottery. Although part of me does hope that we'll stay out of the lottery as well.

Actually, Ferry might not make another move for the rest of the summer, other than signing scrubs to fill out the roster. One thing that all of these expiring contracts will do, is entice a team to unload a player that might be good, but may not be worth keeping around anymore.In other words, the same way we got rid of Joe Johnson, is the same way we can get a starter caliber player.For example, say if the Hawks are in the thick of things in February, but wanted to make a move to obtain a starter caliber SF. And let's also say that Dallas is struggling, and want to unload some people. The Hawks and Mavs could start talking about a trade involving Shawn Marion to the Hawks, while we send back a few expiring or smaller contracts.Marion has 2 years left on his contract that will pay him a total of 18 million.Hawks could trade for him by sending Dallas Morrow and Petro.This could occur at the trade deadline.Hawks new starting lineupG - TeagueG - Harris/WilliamsF - MarionPF - SmithC - HorfordDespite being overpaid these days, Marion is still a good player, and has been a solid defensive player for years.He's an example of what "cap flexibility" can do for a team. Hawks trade away expiring contracts for a decent player that doesn't kill your future flexibility.