• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Gee Whiz... is Another SF Option Soon to be Available?

lethalweapon3

• Moderators
https://twitter.com/SamAmicoFSO/status/227961335441408000

Cavs meeting with free agent SF C.J. Miles (Jazz) Weds & Thurs, source says. Not close to deal with Alonzo Gee, may consider other options.

Gee is a restricted free agent (QO = $2.7 million), and the Cavs getting googly-eyed with Miles probably means he'll get squeezed out of the SG/SF rotation with Waiters, Casspi, Eyenga, Azubuike and now possibly Miles waiting in the pun-excused wings. Cleveland will either renounce his QO or look around for sign-and-trade options. While he struggled mightily with his outside shot once he pushed into the starting spot in the second half of the year (41% on the year, just 39% as a starter), the athletic 6-foot-6 Gee gave a sad-sack bunch in Cleveland 10-and-5 last season (11-and-6 once he got to start regularly), while being one of the few defensive pests they had (1.3 steals per contest). Any takers, and if so, how much? I'm assuming he's looking for a contract averaging in the $4.0-4.5 million range. I'd much rather compete for him as a UFA, but if he had to come via sign-and-trade, what would you be willing to offer to the Cavs? ~lw3

• Moderators

SnT is the only option to get him. I'd give them Stevenson in a heartbeat plus possibly a future 1st.

I don't know about a future first. Cleveland is willing to let him go for nothing. I wouldn't trade a first at this point for either Miles or Gee. I want that first as an asset to get a star -- not to acquire a solid role player.
  • Like 3

I don't know about a future first. Cleveland is willing to let him go for nothing. I wouldn't trade a first at this point for either Miles or Gee. I want that first as an asset to get a star -- not to acquire a solid role player.

Maybe I'm remembering him to be a better player than he was. I seem to remember he seemed like he has great potential.

• Moderators

Maybe I'm remembering him to be a better player than he was. I seem to remember he seemed like he has great potential.

I still wouldn't screw up our cap situation for the future or trade first rounders we need to land a stud for him if his current team is letting him walk for a non-stud, but if he has the potential then let's make it happen on a deal that works for us. I don't know much about him - just that he is young, has struggled shooting, and his current team doesn't see him as a priority even though they are young and building for the future.

I still wouldn't screw up our cap situation for the future or trade first rounders we need to land a stud for him if his current team is letting him walk for a non-stud, but if he has the potential then let's make it happen on a deal that works for us. I don't know much about him - just that he is young, has struggled shooting, and his current team doesn't see him as a priority even though they are young and building for the future.

I'll be surprised if they let him walk for nothing. I think the issue is that he wants more money than they are willing to pay him and since he's a RFA they have all of the leverage. I wouldn't break the bank or mortgage the future for him by any means, but he's better than what we have at SF. Looking over his numbers I am rescinding my offer of a possible future 1st. Maybe a 2nd rounder and Stevenson would get it done though.

• Moderators

I wouldn't break the bank or mortgage the future for him by any means, but he's better than what we have at SF.

That is a low bar to pass but I like the thinking on your revised trade as long as the long-term salary doesn't stop us from signing two max players:

Looking over his numbers I am rescinding my offer of a possible future 1st. Maybe a 2nd rounder and Stevenson would get it done though.

That is a low bar to pass but I like the thinking on your revised trade as long as the long-term salary doesn't stop us from signing two max players:

Yeah definitely wouldn't want to mortgage the future. Give him a 2 year contract with a team option for the 2nd year. If he proves himself worthy of being brought back then we bring him back. If not, he's going to be an UFA in a year where there should be plenty of money to go around.

Are you really thinking that is a lineup that teams are going to fear?

Certainly not fear but it's damned athletic and should be able to outrun any team in the league. Probably not going to stop anyone defensively, but at least they'd be fun to watch!

Are you really thinking that is a lineup that teams are going to fear?

I'm looking back over my comment, not seeing where I stated that's a lineup that teams are going to fear. Am I missing something?