• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Ferry gives us a slight vision on how the Hawks offense will be this upcoming season!

JTB

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2012/07/25/hawks-ferry-doesnt-see-josh-smith-going-anywhere/?cxntfid=blogs_jeff_schultz_blog

Ferry and ajc writer Jeff Schultz had breakfast together the other day and the article Jeff wrote was mainly about smith who ferry seems to like just as much as Gearon jr!...go figure!...anyways what caught my attention was Ferry's comments about what he says will be an exciting offense to watch!

Ferry's statement regarding the offense:

Ferry has a vision for the Hawks next season, and Smith is a part of that. They’ll run more. They’ll have to, given the lack of size. They’re a guard-heavy team, with moves that brought in Devin Harris, Anthony Morrow, Louis Williams, Kyle Korver and rookie John Jenkins.

“The ball will be in Devin Harris’ hands a lot and Jeff Teague’s hands a lot. We’ll have space for them to attack the rim. We’ll play through Josh a little more. We’ll use Josh and Al to pick-and-roll or post up. We’ll be fun to watch.”

......well there you have it Squawkers!

-the ball will be in Teague's and Harris's hands ALOT.

........LOL Smith aint about to let that go down but we will see Mr. Ferry!...one thing this does tell me is that these two are either stating or one is going to be given some major minutes off the bench!

-The floor will be spaced for them to attack the rim

........Im assuming he says this because of the many shooters we have on the floor, I can see that happening just hope Teague and harris or whoever can finish at the goal most of the time.

-we will play through Josh a little more

.......LOL no ferry we are going to play through Josh ALOT more! mainly cause Smith will force the game to be played through him being that I doubt he gives the ball up to his point guards!

-Smith and horford in pick and roll or post up

....i can see pick and rolls out of both but smith posting up? naw thats not going to be a common thing

what do you guys think? I like Ferrys vision but Smith will blow this whole thing up! will he not?!

http://blogs.ajc.com...ff_schultz_blog

Ferry and ajc writer Jeff Schultz had breakfast together the other day and the article Jeff wrote was mainly about smith who ferry seems to like just as much as Gearon jr!...go figure!...anyways what caught my attention was Ferry's comments about what he says will be an exciting offense to watch!

Ferry's statement regarding the offense:

Ferry has a vision for the Hawks next season, and Smith is a part of that. They’ll run more. They’ll have to, given the lack of size. They’re a guard-heavy team, with moves that brought in Devin Harris, Anthony Morrow, Louis Williams, Kyle Korver and rookie John Jenkins.

“The ball will be in Devin Harris’ hands a lot and Jeff Teague’s hands a lot. We’ll have space for them to attack the rim. We’ll play through Josh a little more. We’ll use Josh and Al to pick-and-roll or post up. We’ll be fun to watch.”

......well there you have it Squawkers!

-the ball will be in Teague's and Harris's hands ALOT.

........LOL Smith aint about to let that go down but we will see Mr. Ferry!...one thing this does tell me is that these two are either stating or one is going to be given some major minutes off the bench!

-The floor will be spaced for them to attack the rim

........Im assuming he says this because of the many shooters we have on the floor, I can see that happening just hope Teague and harris or whoever can finish at the goal most of the time.

-we will play through Josh a little more

.......LOL no ferry we are going to play through Josh ALOT more! mainly cause Smith will force the game to be played through him being that I doubt he gives the ball up to his point guards!

-Smith and horford in pick and roll or post up

....i can see pick and rolls out of both but smith posting up? naw thats not going to be a common thing

what do you guys think? I like Ferrys vision but Smith will blow this whole thing up! will he not?!

Actually Josh was very effective last year at posting up and if he drew a double..kicking it back out. Yes, he drew doubles in the post but they usually came late as did his moves to the basket.

The article is basically saying what I said in another post. Harris will be mentoring Teague on running the pick n roll. They will run pick n roll, pick n pop with a slasher and a spot up 3 point shooter. This tells me they are definately going to run 2 PGs as starters and start Zaza. Zaza will collect trash. There will be tons of pick n rolls drawing the opposing center to front Josh/Al.

Teague and Harris will be free to finish the play themselves if they are open to the rim, fill the roller or hit the cutter/sniper. It's old school Utah basketball with a better 3 and two PG's.

Williams will sub in early for either Teague or Harris (probably Harris). Then Harris will come back in to replace Teague. Morrow/Korver will replace Josh. Ivan will sub Al...Petro will sub Zaza. That is unless more players are moved by the deadline.

Actually Josh was very effective last year at posting up and if he drew a double..kicking it back out. Yes, he drew doubles in the post but they usually came late as did his moves to the basket. The article is basically saying what I said in another post. Harris will be mentoring Teague on running the pick n roll. They will run pick n roll, pick n pop with a slasher and a spot up 3 point shooter. This tells me they are definately going to run 2 PGs as starters and start Zaza. Zaza will collect trash. There will be tons of pick n rolls drawing the opposing center to front Josh/Al. Teague and Harris will be free to finish the play themselves if they are open to the rim, fill the roller or hit the cutter/sniper. It's old school Utah basketball with a better 3 and two PG's. Williams will sub in early for either Teague or Harris (probably Harris). Then Harris will come back in to replace Teague. Morrow/Korver will replace Josh. Ivan will sub Al...Petro will sub Zaza. That is unless more players are moved by the deadline.

I'm pretty sure Zaza won't start due to the fact that we need at least one of our shooters to be in to free up this space. Josh Smith is my favorite player but I don't want him being our main option for our guards to drive and kick it out to. If that's the case either Harris or Teague comes off the bench. I think it will be an unconventional lineup with Morrow starting at small forward. I also think Teague and Harris will start together barring anymore big moves.

I can see the case for the Zaza/Horford/Smith staring line-up as well as the Horford/Smith/Morrow one. Both have significant problems, but i think the latter is more problematic than the former. Morrow is just too small to play against the SFs in the East. With Z getting most of the C minutes, the Hawks have some real size on the court to make up for the small backcourt. Starting Morrow just compounds the backcourt problem. Of course the problem wtih the Z line-up we have Smith at SF, which I don't think is his best postion.If we go with the Z et al line-up, I agree that the offense will look a lot like the Sloan offense (hmm, maybe we are priming the pump...).If we go with the Morrow line-up, I'm not sure what this offense will look like. Teams will play the permiter and dare us to go inside. Harris may be able to break that up, but unless we have a guy williing to post up the majority of the time, this line-up is somewhat problematic.I still think another move to get a bigger, defense oriented SF is in the making. Getting this solves a host of issues.Starting lineup of sayHarrisJTBarnesSmithHorfordStill a little small, but at least all those guys can defend their postions and score from where they are comfortable/best.

We're going to have to fit on our shooters in the starting lineup. We have to start Jenkins or Morrow at the 2 or Korver at the 3.

There is no way Korver starts at the 3. He's a role player that can come in and hit some 3s, but his defense is bad and he doesn't help with rebounding at all. I think the guard rotation is pretty much JT, Harris, and Williams. Morrow will get some time at SF and SG, but probably no more than 15 minutes a night.

Another thread for people to complain about Josh... You're making threads for the Josh haters. "Just because we criticize his game does not mean we are haters."

Why not contribute to threads instead of rushing to Josh's defense by calling everyone haters. At least the haters are providing actual discussion. To the topic it sounds to me like our bigs will be out of the paint to allow for PnR and driving the lane. I hope we will be able to pull that off without the bigs living on jump shots.

Actually Josh was very effective last year at posting up and if he drew a double..kicking it back out. Yes, he drew doubles in the post but they usually came late as did his moves to the basket. The article is basically saying what I said in another post. Harris will be mentoring Teague on running the pick n roll. They will run pick n roll, pick n pop with a slasher and a spot up 3 point shooter. This tells me they are definately going to run 2 PGs as starters and start Zaza. Zaza will collect trash. There will be tons of pick n rolls drawing the opposing center to front Josh/Al. Teague and Harris will be free to finish the play themselves if they are open to the rim, fill the roller or hit the cutter/sniper. It's old school Utah basketball with a better 3 and two PG's. Williams will sub in early for either Teague or Harris (probably Harris). Then Harris will come back in to replace Teague. Morrow/Korver will replace Josh. Ivan will sub Al...Petro will sub Zaza. That is unless more players are moved by the deadline.

If Teague, Harris and Zaza are all starting then there won't be any cutters or snipers on the floor. I definitely did not get that both PGs would start together or that Zaza would from anything Ferry said.