• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Are the Hawks the fastest and quickest team in the nba now?

JTB

Since we are guard heavy are we the fastest team around? Or atleast a top 5 quickest teams?Also since this new era of the NBA has shown that speed and fastbreaks along with just general overall quickness can be a powerhouse offense weapon, how will the hawks fair in this?........A could be powerhouse offense? Or just a bunch of speedy guys that won't effect the game much?

I would say yes, except because of what I saw in the Boston series. Boston negated what I felt was a better Hawks team by grabbing, holding, moving on screens.

The referees have so much power in the NBA, I could see a super fast team being very good in the regular season and not getting out of the first round against a saavy opponent. The amount of uncalled contact in the Boston series and the eastern conference playoffs in general was as bad as I've ever seen it.

Go back and watch the Hawks/Boston series objectively after referencing these 2 rules clarifications from NBA.com http://www.nba.com/features/misunderstoodrules_051128.html

Hand Checking: A defender may not place and keep his hand on an opponent unless he is in the area near the basket with his back to the basket. A defender may momentarily touch an opponent with his hand anywhere on the court as long as it does not affect the opponent’s movement (speed, quickness, balance, rhythm).

Incidental Contact: The mere fact that contact occurs does not mean a foul has been committed. Players are allowed to contact other players when reaching for a loose ball, or when performing normal offensive and defensive movements. The hand is considered “ part of the ball” when it is in contact with the ball and contact with a players hand when it is in contact with the ball is not a foul.

• Like 1

This was the one Dolf and I argued about last year. The 3 second call could be called 20 times a game if adhered to properly.

Pierce spent so much time in the key during our series he was granted squatter's rights.

Defensive Three Seconds: A defensive player is not allowed inside the key area for more than three seconds unless he is guarding the player with the ball or is actively guarding any opponent. To be considered actively guarding, a defender must be within an arms length of his opponent. If an offensive player moves through the key, the defender must be within an arms length, and also move along with the offensive player. He can not just stand there and put his arms out to the new three-second count.

We definately have the guys to be really annoying on offense IF everyone buys into the full-motion offense. Small and quick shooters coming off screens are hard to defend. Then add in Horford's shooting touch and Josh's ability to finish at the rim and this could be a really good offense.I agree Camp, the refs have to be willing to call holding and handchecks for the Hawks' offense to be effective. If other teams get away with holding it completely negates the strength of the team.

We definately have the guys to be really annoying on offense IF everyone buys into the full-motion offense. Small and quick shooters coming off screens are hard to defend. Then add in Horford's shooting touch and Josh's ability to finish at the rim and this could be a really good offense. I agree Camp, the refs have to be willing to call holding and handchecks for the Hawks' offense to be effective. If other teams get away with holding it completely negates the strength of the team.

Yes sir. If we move the ball like we're supposed to then we'd be great. No more Joe to stop the flow of our offense. I'm just worried about the defense though.

Yes sir. If we move the ball like we're supposed to then we'd be great. No more Joe to stop the flow of our offense. I'm just worried about the defense though.

No doubt the defense could be a problem. They may have to do some funelling to get teams to drive towards Horford, while Josh cheats in to get blocks. Exploitable, but given today's roster that seems to be the best strategy. Give Ferry another month or two and I bet we get another wing defender with size.

No doubt the defense could be a problem. They may have to do some funelling to get teams to drive towards Horford, while Josh cheats in to get blocks. Exploitable, but given today's roster that seems to be the best strategy. Give Ferry another month or two and I bet we get another wing defender with size.

Well that's why I think if we don't get another wing player we should start Morrow. Make him that first team shooter who is a good defender.

• Premium Member

We still ne

Well that's why I think if we don't get another wing player we should start Morrow. Make him that first team shooter who is a good defender.

I just can't envision Morrow as a starting small forward. I'm hoping Ferry will bring in a starting SF before the season starts.

I just can't envision Morrow as a starting small forward. I'm hoping Ferry will bring in a starting SF before the season starts.

Agreed. This is the only glaring hole in our lineup IMO. Edited by HawkFan

Somewhere out there is our starting SF. Don't know whohe is right now, but we know that he exists.We may be well into pre season training before we find outbut we will.

• Moderators

I see our team:Quick (but not quickest) at PGNot quick at SG (Lou is quick but undersized; Morrow is not quick; Jenkins is not quick)Not quick at SF (Josh is slow as a SF; Korver is very slow; we could start a guard but I'm not sure how much we could exploit speed if the guard is woefully undersized)Quick at PF (you do need to run the floor without the ball to take advantage of this)Quick at C (only if Horford is here; if you start Zaza then you are not quick)I don't see that changing too much from last season as far as our team profile for speed and athleticism.