• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hoopsworld chat with Lang Greene (lots of talk about the Atlanta Hawks)

Jody23

• Moderators

Q: Lang: I think the Hawks will start Teague, Devin Harris, FA SF (Delfino, etc.) Smith and Horford…..what do you think? You think Harris starts at the off guard? I’m curious to see how they rotate the smallish backcourt. Thanks A: Speaking with Danny Ferry out in Vegas I don’t believe Devin Harris is in the running for the starting SG spot. I think the race will be between Anthony Morrow, Lou Williams, Kyle Korver and John Jenkins. Lou is the better player of the four, but his size would give the Hawks an extremely small backcourt paired with Jeff Teague. Not sure Jenkins is ready for the starting spot as a rookie, but the kid is a knockdown shooter and can play. Rumble young man, rumble.

Q:Wassup Lang Great chat’s!! What are your feelings about the hawks future and what they can do this season? A:With close to $30 million in cap space set for next summer I’d say the Hawks future is very bright. The team on the floor this season won’t be too bad either … but they’re nowhere near seriously competing for a title in 2013 as it stands currently. But I do feel they can make the playoffs.

Q: Many experts have a differing opinion on the job Danny Ferry is doing in Atlanta. Some are impressed he was able to shed the contracts of Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams, giving the team lots of cap space in 2013-14. Others have criticized these moves as Ferry gave up two starters (one a 6 time all-star) for little return, meaning its difficult to argue the Hawks won’t be worse next year as a result. What side are you on and why? A: Simple. I think Ferry has positioned the Hawks well for the future. The moves weren’t about the 2013 season. Or maybe even the 2014 season. But he’s trying to build another “core” who might be able to get the team over the hump. The moves gave the Hawks options, financially, to add more talent. Last season they were handicapped from doing so because of their contracts. Ferry is working his plan right now, but it will ultimately come down to how he uses the cap space and the players he brings in via trade.

Q: Do you know if the Hawks are planning to trade at least one of their point guards? They have Teague, Lou Williams, and Devin Harris on their roster. Do you see them moving forward with all those point guards? A:Jeff is the starter. Lou plays a lot off the ball. And I expect Devin to be on his best game as a backup since it is a contract year.

Q: What do you think of a Bynum for Josh Smith trade? If both Bynum and Smith indicate they do not want to sign extensions with their respective teams, is this a viable trade option? (Smith + fillers for Bynum) shift Gasol to the 5. A: Only in NBA 2K12 when you can force the CPU into making a bad deal. You can’t trade a top two center for a power forward who is not in the top 5 at his position.

Q: Hey Lang. What do you see as Anthony Morrows’ role this coming season? I assume he will start but what kind of numbers will we see from him and will he improve? He has been a bit underwhelming over the last couple of seasons. A: Morrow will get a chance to start. But I assume he’ll be a 18-20 minute per game guy and the SG spot will be handled by committee this season.

Q:If the Hawks don’t get Dwight Howard or CP3, then what can you see as a backup option for them as far as 2013 NBA Free agency or via trade? A: Speaking with Danny Ferry I get the impression the Hawks aren’t going to spend crazy if they miss D12 or CP3. Remember how Joe Dumars went wild a few years on marginal talent when Detroit had some cap room? Yeah, I’d be surprised if that happened in Atlanta next summer.

Q: Whats good Lang! whats going on with your Blog these last to weeks? 1.I think the Hawks should sighn James Harden next Year,not a max deal though but enough (Whatys your thoughs) 2.Why wouldn’t the Hawks try to get Bynum with the Lakers getting Howard and the Magic get Big Al and Picks 3.Do you think Teague can be come an elite Pg for the Hawks(I think Teague could be special more sooner then later) A: 3Q! Last week Vegas. Yesterday I had a family event to attend. Thanks for the patience. 1. OKC will issues a Qualifying Offer to make Harden a restricted free agent and match any deal he’d get in free agency 2. Hawks like the idea of Dwight Howard, but not sure Andrew Bynum is on their wish list. 3. I don’t know about elite level because you’d be talking about the CP3, D-Rose, Westbrook, etc crowd … and I don’t see him there … but I can see Teague being a 16 and 7 guy and solid team leader. He continues to improve and I think he has a long respectable career.

Cut out the fat for the Squawk.
  • Like 4

• Premium Member

I never really understood the idea of starting both Teague and Harris when there are at least three other legit shooting guards on the roster. It definitely makes more sense to start Morrow or Jenkins.

I never really understood the idea of starting both Teague and Harris when there are at least three other legit shooting guards on the roster. It definitely makes more sense to start Morrow or Jenkins.

In most instances, yes. Jenkins and Morrow can't guard SGs.

• Premium Member

Considering Jenkins has yet to play an NBA game, we can't make any definitive conclusion on how he will fare defensively against other two guards. But, since we're talking about the ability to defend the position being a determining factor, why should we be confident that Harris, a point guard, can effectively defend twos? Is there anything in his career thus far that suggests he can do so over.the course of a season?

Considering Jenkins has yet to play an NBA game, we can't make any definitive conclusion on how he will fare defensively against other two guards. But, since we're talking about the ability to defend the position being a determining factor, why should we be confident that Harris, a point guard, can effectively defend twos? Is there anything in his career thus far that suggests he can do so over.the course of a season?

Not saying Devin Harris can...... just saying the argument that Devin Harris is not really a two-guard doesn't really work when the other options can't defend the position.

• Premium Member

Not saying Devin Harris can...... just saying the argument that Devin Harris is not really a two-guard doesn't really work when the other options can't defend the position.

So there's nothing to suggest Harris can defend twos. Moving to the offensive end, why would playing Harris at the two be more advantageous than Morrow or Jenkins? Morrow and Jenkins complement Teagues skill set because their shooting ability opens the floor more for him to attack. Harris on the other has much the same skillset as Teague and doesn't have the perimeter shot of the other two that will stretch the floor.

So there's nothing to suggest Harris can defend twos. Moving to the offensive end, why would playing Harris at the two be more advantageous than Morrow or Jenkins? Morrow and Jenkins complement Teagues skill set because their shooting ability opens the floor more for him to attack. Harris on the other has much the same skillset as Teague and doesn't have the perimeter shot of the other two that will stretch the floor.

exactly and thats what always confused me about teague and harris starting but after ferry's comments i thought it was true that both would be starting when he said the ball will be in those 2 guys hands alot but i get it now more than ever. i honestly think teague will be the starter but harris will get close to even minutes at the point with teague unless one becomes some great star out of no where! now as far as our shooting guard goes...thats up in the air.

they might not start but I expect to see a teague and harris line up a majority of the time cause it will make our offense much more dynamic. To be honest our perimeter defense will probaly suck regardless of the line up Posted Image we dont exactly have any stud wing defenders on our team well deshawn is but hes so useless on offense. Edited by yungsta

I tend not to listen to speculative comments from journalists in articles. When they say, 'the feeling I got from Ferry" or "what I think he meant" it's just pure speculation and the journalist projecting. Harris is low star level talent and suggesting he come off the bench is ridiculous. You don't need a super 6th man...you have Lou, Korver, Jenkins. Harris on the bench getting less than 30 minutes a night is a waste. Harris > Teague at this point. If anything, Drew makes the decisions and a smart decision if only running one point is Harris over Teague.

• Like 1

Why stunt teagues growth to maybe win a few more games inability a year we wont contend? That attitude is what caused jt to be buried until bulls series when a hurt Kirk gave them no choice but to let jt playWhy stunt teagues growth to maybe win a few more games in a year we wont contend? That attitude is what caused jt to be buried until bulls series when a hurt Kirk gave them no choice but to let jt play

I like Harris, but he won't be starting over Teague. Teague has earned that designation.

If the other PG was name Deron Williams or Chris Paul you wouldn't say he's earned the right to start over them. Harris is better. Harris makes more money. Harris is an expiring trade part at the deadline and the missing piece for a borderline team needing a point guard. He'll be showcased. Edited by thecampster

• Premium Member

If the other PG was name Deron Williams or Chris Paul you wouldn't say he's earned the right to start over them. Harris is better. Harris makes more money. Harris is an expiring trade part at the deadline and the missing piece for a borderline team needing a point guard. He'll be showcased.

Harris isn't anywhere near the level of Deron or Paul, so why even mention them? Moreover, what has Harris done recently to show he's soooo much better than Teague? And mentioning that he makes more money is totally irrelevant. Make no mistake, Harris was acquired because he was an expiring contract and not because the Hawks were looking for a starting point guard. Lastly, a guy doesn't have to start to be showcased. His expiring contract actually showcases itself.
  • Like 1

Harris is not better than Teague. He was brought in more for his expiring to get rid of Marvin than his play. Harris does not have bring the same big play potential Teague brings on both ends of the floor. People are just stuck on dude's one fluke year in new jersey. U don't bench your future at the most important position for a rental thats not even close to being clearly better. Teague was more than a body out there last year, he was a very key contributor all season long. Folks that say start Harris have no clue, I'm sorry