• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Sofoklis Schortsanitis is now a Hawk!... or at least his rights are.

Admin

• Moderators

Hey CBA savants, I don't mean to turn it into a cbafaq-lite, but I was reading on cbafaq somewhere that there's a nuance of some sort between "trade exception" and "traded player exception," or TPE. Can someone clarify the difference and whether it matters in the case of what the Hawks received?~lw3

Hey CBA savants, I don't mean to turn it into a cbafaq-lite, but I was reading on cbafaq somewhere that there's a nuance of some sort between "trade exception" and "traded player exception," or TPE. Can someone clarify the difference and whether it matters in the case of what the Hawks received? ~lw3

I'm no expert - but I'm pretty sure those are the same things. Just different terms that schmohawks like us use in forum settings and ends up confusing people. The Hawks will basically have a 1.6 - 2.7 million dollar check that can be used in the next 12 months to SnT for a player for that amount or for a player already on another roster. It cannot, however, be combined with another player to increase the amount we can take back.

• Moderators

I'm no expert - but I'm pretty sure those are the same things. Just different terms that schmohawks like us use in forum settings and ends up confusing people. The Hawks will basically have a 1.6 - 2.7 million dollar check that can be used in the next 12 months to SnT for a player for that amount or for a player already on another roster. It cannot, however, be combined with another player to increase the amount we can take back.

Ah, here it go... you're right, it's just Larry that makes the differentiation, not the CBA itself (he could just call it the "One-Year TPE")... http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

Also be aware that while the term "Traded Player exception" refers to the entire exception which allows teams to make trades above the salary cap (including both simultaneous and non-simultaneous trades), it is also commonly used to refer to the one-year monetary credit teams receive while a non-simultaneous trade is pending completion. Be aware of this potential ambiguity. In this document "Traded Player exception" is used to refer to the exception, and "trade exception" is used to refer to the one-year credit.

~lw3

I was just about to post that ^ ... along with this.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q85 However, if that team has a $5 million player and a $1 million trade exception from a previous trade, it cannot add the trade exception to the 125% plus $100,000 margin from their $5 million player ($6.35 million), in order to trade for a player making $7 million. This cannot be done, as it would invoke using two exceptions on the same player. If a team has two trade exceptions from previous non-simultaneous trades, they can't combine them into one larger trade exception. Suppose a team trades a $5 million player for a $4 million player (generating a $1 million trade exception) and separately trades a $3 million player for a $1 million player (generating a $2 million trade exception). They cannot combine the two into a single $3 million trade exception. A rule of thumb is that a trade exception can only be used to acquire a player making up to the amount of the exception plus $100,000.

Hmm...was news to me....still could be used in a simultaneous trade.

Yes it could but would we really be helping them (thinking Orlando D12 trade) much by taking on a 2.5 - 3 million contract? Probably not... but I do see this TPE as being valuable to us as we've already shot our MLE wad on Lou and still have a hole at SF.

The Hawks could also use the TPE for a player now, in that $2 mil range. That player could be sent later in the year to Orlando if the Magic are serious about holding onto Dwight until the bidding gets even higher for him.

• Moderators

The Hawks could also use the TPE for a player now, in that $2 mil range. That player could be sent later in the year to Orlando if the Magic are serious about holding onto Dwight until the bidding gets even higher for him.

This is the way you combine salaries with a TPE. It does involve delay and time.

Hmm...was news to me....still could be used in a simultaneous trade.

? The "trade exception" generated from the "TPE" (traded player exception) implies it is the last part of a non-simultaneous trade. So from the Hawks perspective, no it cannot be used in a simultaneous trade and must complete the trade of Willie Green's outgoing salary for [insert a big mac]. From another team's perspective, it could help out because they can bring in more salary with a trade from their end than without the Hawks having the exception. The scenarios that would help the Hawks would actually be salary reducing moves, which I usually think of as moves that hurt the quality of your team and make you ask, why? No one gives you draft picks for reducing your payroll (I have seen it the other way with Kurt Thomas). The benefit is reduced costs, so I would not be excited about this for our team. This is all a long winded response to a thread that I should have paid more attention to. In the end, I only want to say: 1. The move was made as a move that helps DF build relationships with agents, players, and teams. He helped Willie get more money. Neither the "trade exception" or Sofo are going to do a lick for this team. I still like the move. 2. WHERE IS THE NEW CBA!?!?!?

Or, it would seem that the only practical way the Hawks can use this is to trade a draft pick or player right for a player with an equal salary to Green. If I understand correctly, they could have simultaneously acquired a player from a 3rd team at 125% of Green's deal, but didn't. If I am figuring this right this seems rather worthless at this TPE price level. With a $10 mil TPE you could trade for a contract another team hates for a 2nd rounder. What can you get for $1.3 mil, a failed draft pick from the past 3 years?