• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

A lot of people drinking the Koolaid.

Diesel

• Premium Member

What about the same as. Maybe you missed it, but BK did the same thing when he came to town. Traded... JT, Theo, Big Dog, and Shareef.... and started over. For a moment, we had lots of capspace. Remember us wining and dining Damp and KMart? then settling for Antwain and Al? Remember how BK went Forward happy with his mantra... Long, Athletic. The only star FA we could bring in was JJ and we overpaid to get him? Well, Ferry has started the same process. Except, his mantra isn't long and athletic.. his mantra is fast and can shoot. We will be the team to make Harden a 100 Million dollar player.

Dont miss this beauty!

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I don't get it.  Ferry is good with the pen but does not know jack bleep about talent.

Edited by NineOhTheRino
  • Like 1

I think the biggest difference between this rebuild and the last is Coach Bud. The Spurs system doesn't require for you to have a ball dominating superstar. True Duncan is a HOFer but at 37 is he a better player than 27 year old Horford? Tony Parker is great but if the Teague from the Indiana series shows up next season then are we that far off?

• Like 1

I think the biggest difference between this rebuild and the last is Coach Bud. The Spurs system doesn't require for you to have a ball dominating superstar. True Duncan is a HOFer but at 37 is he a better player than 27 year old Horford? Tony Parker is great but if the Teague from the Indiana series shows up next season then are we that far off?

Larry Drew never had a worse record as a head coach in Atlanta than Coach Bud. For all the love Bud gets, we are middle of the pack or at the bottom of every team stats aside from assists which we were at the top with LD too.

• Moderators

Larry Drew never had a worse record as a head coach in Atlanta than Coach Bud. For all the love Bud gets, we are middle of the pack or at the bottom of every team stats aside from assists which we were at the top with LD too.

Well the proof will be this year but its already been pointed out and most people accept that our record was not representative because we went extended stretches with Brand as our only center on the roster and at times also our only power forward.  DMC, Korver also missed time during this stretch of losing.   Hopefully someone has it exactly but i think we were 30-16 when there was a healthy center in addition to brand available.   

Lots of guys go down, we go on a losing streak.  Guys come back, we start winning again.   It's not really conjecture.

Well the proof will be this year but its already been pointed out and most people accept that our record was not representative because we went extended stretches with Brand as our only center on the roster and at times also our only power forward.  DMC, Korver also missed time during this stretch of losing.   Hopefully someone has it exactly but i think we were 30-16 when there was a healthy center in addition to brand available.   

Lots of guys go down, we go on a losing streak.  Guys come back, we start winning again.   It's not really conjecture.

Maybe playing a bunch of PF's at center might have something to do with it. Ayón-PF, Horf-PF, Brand-old, Antić was the only center on the roster. 

Spurs Usage % rates last season amongst their main rotation players

Regular Season

1) Parker - 26.5

2) Duncan - 25.2

3) Ginobli - 24.7

4) Mills - 22.6

5) Belinelli - 19.0

6) Leonard - 18.3

7) Splitter - 17.7

8) Diaw - 17.0

9) Green - 16.7

Playoffs

1) Parker - 28.3

2) Ginobli - 26.2

3) Duncan - 21.9

4) Mills - 21.3

5) Leonard - 18.9

6) Diaw - 16.2

7) Green - 16.1

8) Belinelli - 15.7

9) Splitter - 13.4

I post this because a lot of people believe that the Spurs don't have a "superstar".   People think that everybody on the team just get their share of touches.  The true facts are that the Spurs offense basically runs through 3 players.  Yes, the ball doesn't stick in their offense, but those 3 main players are going to get the ball back at some point, to either make a play for themselves or make a play for others.   Patty Mills, in limited minutes, is maybe the only guy on that team that specifically looks for his own shot.

One of the main problems with the Hawks, is that we are still out of balance ( incredibly ).   Still no legit center.  Still a plethora of PFs on the team.  Still no shot creators on the wings ( with JJ gone ).   And like Diesel eloquently said . . . when games slow down, and we need a bucket, we have no way to get it, unless we hit a jumper.  Can't dump it down to that big man to get the basket.   And the only true slasher we have that can get to the line, is Jeff Teague ( when the refs give him a call ).

This is definitely the make or break year for the GM, in my opinion.  If we show improvement in the win total and during the playoffs ( reach the 2nd round ), that will at least have people believing that we are heading in the right direction.  And it may not only generate interest amongst the basketball fans in Atlanta, it may generate interest for potential free agents to come here.

But if we stay stagnant or go into decline, the domino effect that could take place could be disasterous.  We could lose Millsap for nothing . . . but cap space.   It could cause the GM to start to sell off players ( like Teague ).  And it could send a clear signal to Al Horford that we're NOT prepared to build a winner in ATL right now, which may cause us to lose him as well.

As happy as most of us are with Millsap, I still say that this team royally messed up when we didn't get Jefferson.  He was the offensive and rebounding center that the team ( and Horford ) needed.

It'll be interesting to see if the supposed bid we put in for Boozer is the high bid, and we get him.   That would be the 83rd PF that we have on the team, but at least he'd be the 3rd best big on the squad.   And at least he does have some sort of ground and pound low post game that could help us during playoff time.  And he can still rebound.

• Like 2

Regular Season

1) Parker - 26.5

2) Duncan - 25.2

3) Ginobli - 24.7

4) Mills - 22.6

5) Belinelli - 19.0

6) Leonard - 18.3

7) Splitter - 17.7

8) Diaw - 17.0

9) Green - 16.7

Playoffs

1) Parker - 28.3

2) Ginobli - 26.2

3) Duncan - 21.9

4) Mills - 21.3

5) Leonard - 18.9

6) Diaw - 16.2

7) Green - 16.1

8) Belinelli - 15.7

9) Splitter - 13.4

I post this because a lot of people believe that the Spurs don't have a "superstar".   People think that everybody on the team just get their share of touches.  The true facts are that the Spurs offense basically runs through 3 players.  Yes, the ball doesn't stick in their offense, but those 3 main players are going to get the ball back at some point, to either make a play for themselves or make a play for others.   Patty Mills, in limited minutes, is maybe the only guy on that team that specifically looks for his own shot.

One of the main problems with the Hawks, is that we are still out of balance ( incredibly ).   Still no legit center.  Still a plethora of PFs on the team.  Still no shot creators on the wings ( with JJ gone ).   And like Diesel eloquently said . . . when games slow down, and we need a bucket, we have no way to get it, unless we hit a jumper.  Can't dump it down to that big man to get the basket.   And the only true slasher we have that can get to the line, is Jeff Teague ( when the refs give him a call ).

This is definitely the make or break year for the GM, in my opinion.  If we show improvement in the win total and during the playoffs ( reach the 2nd round ), that will at least have people believing that we are heading in the right direction.  And it may not only generate interest amongst the basketball fans in Atlanta, it may generate interest for potential free agents to come here.

But if we stay stagnant or go into decline, the domino effect that could take place could be disasterous.  We could lose Millsap for nothing . . . but cap space.   It could cause the GM to start to sell off players ( like Teague ).  And it could send a clear signal to Al Horford that we're NOT prepared to build a winner in ATL right now, which may cause us to lose him as well.

As happy as most of us are with Millsap, I still say that this team royally messed up when we didn't get Jefferson.  He was the offensive and rebounding center that the team ( and Horford ) needed.

It'll be interesting to see if the supposed bid we put in for Boozer is the high bid, and we get him.   That would be the 83rd PF that we have on the team, but at least he'd be the 3rd best big on the squad.   And at least he does have some sort of ground and pound low post game that could help us during playoff time.  And he can still rebound.

I disagree with Al Jefferson but I still don't like the Millsap signing either. I like the player, not the fit with Horford. Big Al J. is in the perfect place for his skill-set. 

Edited by nbasupes40retired

It wasn't just losing Al that contributed to the win/loss record. That 14 of 15 losing streak was brutal - Brand playing 40+minutes, DMC playing PF uuuuuh. Bench players thrust into starting, only 8 players available some nights. Just Brutal.

And don't bother mentioning the DPE - who was available to play center for that amount? Kaman maybe - but here's the rub, LAL wasn't just looking to cut salary they wanted an assest (a pick I think in return).

Edited by JayBirdHawk

It wasn't just losing Al that contributed to the win/loss record. That 14 of 15 losing streak was brutal - Brand playing 40+minutes, DMC playing PF uuuuuh. Bench players thrust into starting, only 8 players available some nights. Just Brutal.

They were living and dying by the three anyway like our SL lives and dies by Dennis. We were flukey as soon as Al got hurt. Before Al got hurt, we weren't talented enough and didn't completely fit. 

• Premium Member

Regular Season

1) Parker - 26.5

2) Duncan - 25.2

3) Ginobli - 24.7

4) Mills - 22.6

5) Belinelli - 19.0

6) Leonard - 18.3

7) Splitter - 17.7

8) Diaw - 17.0

9) Green - 16.7

Playoffs

1) Parker - 28.3

2) Ginobli - 26.2

3) Duncan - 21.9

4) Mills - 21.3

5) Leonard - 18.9

6) Diaw - 16.2

7) Green - 16.1

8) Belinelli - 15.7

9) Splitter - 13.4

This deserves more attention and likes. The main reason IMO the Spurs works so well is that they still have a great low post option to dump the ball in for a quick bucket but esp. to make the defense have to respect that player and the threat he represents. We simply have nothing like that on our roster. And we need it badly. There's no doubt in my mind that's why Ferry made a late bid for Gasol because if nothing else he's still a very good low post option.

• Premium Member

Y'all are still crying for a true center when the rest of the basketball world is moving to stretch 4's and 5's. Neither the Spurs nor the Heat have traditional centers.

They had superstar talent.

Where is our superstar talent?

They were living and dying by the three anyway like our SL lives and dies by Dennis. We were flukey as soon as Al got hurt. Before Al got hurt, we weren't talented enough and didn't completely fit.

True