• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Is it a good thing that we didn't get Bynum?

Plainview1981

Notice that none of the teams participating in this trade are from the Southeast Division? Remember that Orlando wouldn't talk to us because we are in the SE? Remember that Orlando was the driver behind this deal and how it was structured?

Why does anyone think we passed on being part of this deal? Does anyone actually think Orlando was going to sign off on us getting Bynum?

I don't get it.

Posted Image

Orlando wouldn't talk to us DIRECTLY when it came to a deal involving Horford. Does that mean that they wouldn't talk to us ( or let us talk to another team ) indirectly involving another team and another player? We'll probably never know the answer to that. And if you're right . . . that's fine.

But I just think is funny that all of a sudden, people are dissing Andrew Bynum, and acting like he's a risk all of a sudden. The dude is already better than both Al Horford and Josh Smith. And he represents what we've been chasing since we lost Dikembe . . a REAL CENTER. And Bynum is leaps and bounds better offensively than Dikembe, while not as dominant defensively.

But now since another team in the East has him, he's "damaged goods" and a player that some wouldn't want on the Hawks . . or wouldn't pay the MAX for?

Please.

Orlando wouldn't talk to us DIRECTLY when it came to a deal involving Horford. Does that mean that they wouldn't talk to us ( or let us talk to another team ) indirectly involving another team and another player? We'll probably never know the answer to that. And if you're right . . . that's fine.

But I just think is funny that all of a sudden, people are dissing Andrew Bynum, and acting like he's a risk all of a sudden. The dude is already better than both Al Horford and Josh Smith. And he represents what we've been chasing since we lost Dikembe . . a REAL CENTER. And Bynum is leaps and bounds better offensively than Dikembe, while not as dominant defensively.

But now since another team in the East has him, he's "damaged goods" and a player that some wouldn't want on the Hawks . . or wouldn't pay the MAX for?

Please.

Well diagram it out then, who would the Hawks deal with if not for Orlando? Philly is only in it for Bynum obviously, LA for Dwight so you have Denver left. What use does Denver have left for either of Josh, Al or Jeffrey when they have McGee, Lawson, Miller, Mozgov, Chandler, Gallinari and newly signed Anthony Randolph already occupying all of those positions?

And as far as your "all of a sudden".....the Bynum hate is not all of a sudden.... I understand you like to retreat to the AJC over the season so you don't really pay attention to what's going on on this site during the majority of the year(s) but people have been questioning Bynum for ages. Check here, check RealGM, check the trade boards, check deals centered around Josh Smith for him specifically and look at the reactions. Stop with this childish nonsense like it took Bynum being traded in conference for people to all of a sudden become aware of his injury history, most have been consistently against the risk of acquiring him for a very long time so you aren't hearing anything new.

I conclude that Denver was more interested in getting rid of contracts than getting Iggy. So, I don't see how any argument saying that we did not have players Denver was interested in is anything other than a guess. Denver got rid of Harrington and Afflalo who were both on longer deals than Iggy's expiring. IMO, we could have sent the right expiring or expirings there way and Bynum could have been ours instead of Philly's. Once again, most of the players in this deal were expirings. The exceptions were the Denver guy's sent out. The exception tells you a lot more than the norm. What sticks out? Denver being the team sending out longer contracts.Conclusion, Denver saw a way out of contracts and took it. 2nd part of conclusion, it did not have to be Philly sending Iggy to give them a way out with a expiring. 3rd part, Iggy is a wing, meaning SG/SF just like Joe. They have several people that can play the SF position and a couple that can play SG like Hamilton, Brewer and now Iggy. They were going to duplicate positions regardless because that is there stronghold, depth. Nothing tells me they were after Iggy. They were after expirings.

Edited by MrMeltdown

Uhm Iguodala is not an expiring unless it's your belief that Denver can force him out of his own ETO. He has 2 years left on his deal. Harrington is more of an expiring because his deal is unguaranteed beyond this season so your whole theory has really gone to shit. Denver wanted out of Harrington because they have a logjam of younger players in need of time at his position and they upgraded from Afflalo at shooting guard with Iguodala. Tis not difficult to see this.

I don't know about the Nuggets wanting cap space. One of the best guys they'd likely get is Iguodala. They won a few games vs the Lakers in the playoffs, exciting the fanbase.Then they signed McGee to a large contract. And since they were in talks they knew Dwight was going to the Lakers. They had to step up too and get they're own candy from the Dwight pinata. Iguodala injects Olympian pedigree and defense and is an easier sell than swapping out their 1-dimensional shooters for our shooters. We didn't have the assets to help them.It's probably a moot point if Orlando was in the driver's seat of who was included in trade talks.

Edited by ruhiel

I stand corrected on Iggy being a straight up expiring. He only has a ETO, but Denver still sent out about $20 million more in salary than they took back. I still think getting rid of salary was a big part of this for them. They have to re-sign Ty Lawson this year and they already have spent decent money on McGee, Galli, and Chandler.

• Moderators

It is hard to see Denver working without a plus wing defender. Iggy is a good fit for that crew - including the fact that he won't have to carry the offense.Denver is in the group of teams that manages its assets and cap space so they can jump in and acquire people they think will upgrade the team. They have a good variety of attractive pieces that they know won't win a championship by themselves but can be used to upgrade the roster going forward.They aren't in a position to dump salary and gain meaninful cap space to sign FAs after next season.