• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

If hawks get to the second round with this roster....would that be a sure resign of josh smith? or star status?

JTB

Unlike most around here I think smith will betrade the hawks come next off season especially if he doesn't see ferry making early moves!I like smith and want him to stay but I just don't trust the young man!...but I have good reason! Smith has said over aNd over again that he just wants to win and there will be teams that are going to be after him that are in a "win a championship now mode".But maybe he stays if we get to the second round! Or will he stay if he has a breakout year and achieve star status?...what do you think?

Unlike most around here I think smith will betrade the hawks come next off season especially if he doesn't see ferry making early moves! I like smith and want him to stay but I just don't trust the young man!...but I have good reason! Smith has said over aNd over again that he just wants to win and there will be teams that are going to be after him that are in a "win a championship now mode". But maybe he stays if we get to the second round! Or will he stay if he has a breakout year and achieve star status?...what do you think?

2nd round really in the right direction, we've been there and done that a couple times recently. But it's not awful, especially with the team we have right now.
  • Like 1

Guest Walter

Unlike most around here I think smith will betrade the hawks come next off season...but I just don't trust the young man!

Let's be clear here. If JS signs elsewhere it is not a betrayal. It's not a break in trust. It's just him signing elsewhere and frankly, I wouldn't blame him. Having said that, Ferry MIGHT mean we arent' the same clumsily managed team of the last 10 years. W

I will start by saying I am sometimes naive, however I hope a change in culture can make an impactThe entire time he's been here he's had boneheads around him. And all the time he was a kid full of himself. And I wonder how JJ influenced him? Pos or neg. wonder if he resented catching a lot of crap for his shots while iso joe was the stud. Can just hear him say: joes doing it why can't I?Maybe he can be redirected as a leader and outgrow his bonehead playsWhat are the chances

• Premium Member

If Josh gets this team to the second round he should be dipped in gold and shipped to the HOF.

i think it would be cool if they dipped him in his 3-PT shot stance

Posted Image

imagine this dipped in 24K gold

Edited by NineOhTheRino

The decision Josh will make at the end of the season will be strictly business. It won't have anything to do with betrayal or anything like that. Remember, this is the same organization that told Josh to go out and find the best deal possible, instead of offering him a contract themselves. That was the Hawks doing "business". So when Josh turns down an extension in October ( if he gets one from the Hawks ), because he could possibly make much more money, it will simply be a business decision.

The decision Josh will make at the end of the season will be strictly business. It won't have anything to do with betrayal or anything like that. Remember, this is the same organization that told Josh to go out and find the best deal possible, instead of offering him a contract themselves. That was the Hawks doing "business". So when Josh turns down an extension in October ( if he gets one from the Hawks ), because he could possibly make much more money, it will simply be a business decision.

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe Josh thought he was worth more than he was in actuality, and the only way to convince him of that was to let him find out for himself in the free market?
  • Like 1

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe Josh thought he was worth more than he was in actuality, and the only way to convince him of that was to let him find out for himself in the free market?

Agreed....and to quote other posters "its all about business!" Or "its a business decision not betrayal or any sort like that."

Or . . . the ASG simply didn't want to pay Josh what he was actually worth. If I'm not mistaken, I think the initial deal he got from them, was a 5 yr - 45 mill deal. Josh thought he was worth more, and got more. So I doubt very seriously that when it comes time for him to get a new deal, that he isn't going to give the Hawks a "hometown discount". He's going to get paid, because this will more than likely be the last big money ( close to MAX ) contract he'll get. Edited by northcyde

Agreed....and to quote other posters "its all about business!" Or "its a business decision not betrayal or any sort like that."

Betrayal shouldn't even be in the vocabulary when discussing the Josh situation. "Betrayal" is sort of what Carlos Boozer did to the Cavs, after "having an understanding" to sign a one year extension with them, with them then giving him a big money extension. Instead, Utah swooped in, gave Boozer a deal he couldn't refuse, and he decides to sign with Utah as a restricted free agent. And even that situation is "just business", not "betrayal". These pro franchises could give a damn about a player, if they feel that his services are no longer needed, or if they need to trim payroll. There's no loyalty in professional sports, from either side.

• Moderators

I will start by saying I am sometimes naive, however I hope a change in culture can make an impact The entire time he's been here he's had boneheads around him. And all the time he was a kid full of himself. And I wonder how JJ influenced him? Pos or neg. wonder if he resented catching a lot of crap for his shots while iso joe was the stud. Can just hear him say: joes doing it why can't I? Maybe he can be redirected as a leader and outgrow his bonehead plays What are the chances

A culture change is needed and I believe the player that needs the biggest change is Smoove. He needs to learn to trust his PG. He needs to be smarter and not take dumb 20-footers. He to keep his nose in basketball and do what it takes to win. Teague, Horford, and Pachulia have never given us any problems. They are winners and are open to accepting any role that Drew/Ferry puts them in, whether its a starting role or a bench role or even if its playing an off-position. Teague has said that he is a team player and would not be hurt if he lost his starting role to Harris. Horford played 70% against Boston in the playoffs and gave the Hawks every ounce that was left in him. Pachulia never takes a play off and hustles on both ends of the court. Not saying Smoove doesn't do those things because he is a great competitor and an exciting player to watch, but with Smoove, you never know what you are going to get. I think Josh does love the fans and the community, but at times, it just seems like he tries to play five different roles out on the court. If he could learn to accept his role on this team, which is to play great defense, get rebounds, and attack the rim, he and the Hawks would be better for it as a whole. Learn your role. That's it. Oh, and to answer the question, I believe Josh doesn't want to play anywhere but Atlanta. He has stated that he wants to retire here before the whole trade-request stuff started. He understands that this is his chance to shine and that the Hawks may take a step back this season. I believe he'll resign for about a 4-5 year, $60-80 million deal, depending if the Dwight show happens or not.
  • Like 1

Or . . . the ASG simply didn't want to pay Josh what he was actually worth. If I'm not mistaken, I think the initial deal he got from them, was a 5 yr - 45 mill deal. Josh thought he was worth more, and got more. So I doubt very seriously that when it comes time for him to get a new deal, that he isn't going to give the Hawks a "hometown discount". He's going to get paid, because this will more than likely be the last big money ( close to MAX ) contract he'll get.

He is not deserving of a max or near-max contract. At best, he should be paid as though he were getting an extension on the contract he already has (i.e. start at $14 million or so at the most.)
  • Like 1