• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

ESPN Hollinger's Hawks Profile

capstone21

• Moderators

I'm not a huge Holinger fan but this sums it up pretty fairly. Basically we have no one to defend the best players in the league meaning the wings. I think our best starting lineup is going to be Teague/Harris/Smith/Al/Za with Williams/Korver/Ivan off the bench. Obviously we need to try to trade Morrow / Stevenson for a wing who can really defend. Defense is looking sketchy.

• Moderators

It was a small sample size against a single team, but I was encouraged during the playoffs with Teague's improved comfort in taking (and hitting) outside jumpers, the threes in particular. He emerged as our most reliable shooter from the charity stripe, too. Also, that despite a boost in minutes and a hounding Celts defense, his TO rate was low compared to his regular season, while many of his teammates' flub rates went up (perhaps since too many of them were taking liberty with bringing the ball up themselves, but still). It will be interesting, after his first complete training camp with this team as a likely starter, what improvements we'll see from him this year.~lw3

• Moderators

Only profile I have minor qualms with was Jenkins'. I know it was only summer league, but I was pleasantly surprised with his defense and shot-creating abilities during that stretch. Those skills were much better than I assumed it would be, and I surmise they'll be much better than J-Ho assesses them at the outset of Johnny's career.~lw3

I feel the issue with SF is a lil exagerated because alot of the top SFs in the East (Lebron, Melo, Granger, Wallace even Deng) log a considerable amount of minutes at PF. Yes, while people are arguing moving Smoove to the 3 all of these other 3s are moving over to the 4 and the only pure wings remaining are Pierce and Joe.I can't conceive of a lineup after Ferry went out and got all of these shooters that doesn't have at least 2 of them on the floor at all times especially when he's also hiring Atkinson and sending LD overseas to tutor under Blatt. The team is definitely going to play Euro style with a wide open offense and a mixture of zones on defense to overcome whatever wing matchup may pop up. Korver is more than proven in a team scheme as he's been a fixture amongst top 10 defensive teams going all the way back to Philly and Deshawn is still proven as a man on defender with guys like James and Anderson looking to fill in.....then there's Smoove who will be forced to defend these guys anyway.

• Admin

It was a small sample size against a single team, but I was encouraged during the playoffs with Teague's improved comfort in taking (and hitting) outside jumpers, the threes in particular. He emerged as our most reliable shooter from the charity stripe, too. Also, that despite a boost in minutes and a hounding Celts defense, his TO rate was low compared to his regular season, while many of his teammates' flub rates went up (perhaps since too many of them were taking liberty with bringing the ball up themselves, but still). It will be interesting, after his first complete training camp with this team as a likely starter, what improvements we'll see from him this year. ~lw3

My biggest concern with Teague is his ability to run an offense and get others involved. Last season was a confidence booster but he still has not really done that effectively. I hope he can show that he can get others involved and that will be one of the keys to the success of the team this year.

• Moderators

My biggest concern with Teague is his ability to run an offense and get others involved. Last season was a confidence booster but he still has not really done that effectively. I hope he can show that he can get others involved and that will be one of the keys to the success of the team this year.

I'm really optimistic that this will be a huge year for Teague. Last year i felt like he not only was extremely steady the whole year but was also a key guy who can deliver a basket or at least a good drive in crunch time. One of the reasons i think he didn't absolutely shine was that it was a team where Joe and Hinrich (as well as Josh) played the role of playmaker a lot. That should change with this roster. Of course, perimeter defense is going to be heavily on Teague shoulders now that we have 3 Jamal crawfords on the roster.... ok its not that bad but still .

Pretty good scouting. Korver does his fair share of little things and dirty work. The hands comment was spot on. A lot of people kill Teague on his defense, but I agree with Hollinger that he's solid but loses focus easily. Early last season he was doing a CP3 impression on the ball, against Derrick Rose and a few times versus DeRon. I'm probably the NBA fanatic least familiar with Anthony Morrow. I can't say I've ever seen him hit more than three threes ever (obviously I don't watch Tech). All I hear is glowing praise about his shot. Can't wait to see him out there with Korver getting hot and we have a little inside-out game working. Is Devin still lighting quick though? I'm thinking if he was, all his numbers would be a shade better.

• Admin

Pretty good scouting. Korver does his fair share of little things and dirty work. The hands comment was spot on. A lot of people kill Teague on his defense, but I agree with Hollinger that he's solid but loses focus easily. Early last season he was doing a CP3 impression on the ball, against Derrick Rose and a few times versus DeRon. I'm probably the NBA fanatic least familiar with Anthony Morrow. I can't say I've ever seen him hit more than three threes ever (obviously I don't watch Tech). All I hear is glowing praise about his shot. Can't wait to see him out there with Korver getting hot and we have a little inside-out game working. Is Devin still lighting quick though? I'm thinking if he was, all his numbers would be a shade better.

Utah did not use him correctly...he is fast

Utah's system wanted him to facilitate to people who weren't aggressive to the basket (hence why they wanted Marvin...at least he tries to finish).

I do agree we need some size at SF and SG.

It's not just a size issue either. It's size AND talent that we're lacking all of a sudden now.

And here's the REAL problem. Even when other teams go and play "small ball", this is the type of lineup they can throw at us.

MIAMI

( PG ) Chalmers - ( G ) Wade - ( F ) Allen - ( PF ) Lebron - ( C ) Bosh

BOSTON

( PG ) Rondo - ( G ) Terry - ( F ) J. Green - ( PF ) Pierce - ( C ) Garnett

BROOKLYN

( PG ) Deron - ( G ) Brooks - ( F ) Johnson - ( PF ) Wallace - ( C ) Lopez

CHICAGO

( PG ) M. Teague - ( G ) Rose - ( F ) Hamilton - ( PF ) Deng - ( C ) Noah

PHILADELPHIA ( who is all of a sudden an extremely big team now, even when "small" )

( PG ) Holliday - ( G ) N. Young - ( F ) Turner - ( PF ) T. Young - ( C ) Bynum

INDIANA

( PG ) Augustin - ( G ) Hill - ( F ) George - ( PF ) Granger - ( C ) Hibbert

NY KNICKS

( PG ) Felton - ( G ) Kidd - ( F ) JR Smith - ( PF ) Melo - ( C ) Amare

We may have "cap flexibility" these days, but our "lineup flexibility" is completely GONE now. When teams decided to post up their big guard against a Lou Williams or Devin Harris . . or teams go the opposite way, and use their quick guard/foward to attack Kyle Korver and Anthony Morrow . . Drew is going have to make some tough decisions on who to play or not play.

Fans think that we can just throw a bunch of shooters into the game, and outshoot everybody. Well, that strategy has almost NEVER worked in this league, unless you have a dominant low post player that teams also have to account for.

Can't wait for preseason to start in 2 1/2 weeks. I really want to see how this team operates, and how Smith and Horford are going to be used. I think my first look of the Hawks, will actually be in "enemy territory" when they go to Memphis on Oct 14th.