• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

AJC: "Hawks, Take Me to Your Leaderz."

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2012/09/26/atlanta-hawks-who-is-the-on-court-leader/

“The leader of this team is the team,” general manager Danny Ferry said Tuesday. “There are guys who are going to be more vocal. Kyle is going to be more vocal than people have had here, I think. I think Lou will definitely [play a leadership role]. As far as roles, certainly Devin and Jeff [Teague] and Al and Josh, these guys have been around. There usage rate may go up a little more. Hopefully in that their efficiency stays strong. Lou is used to coming in and taking a load off a game, for example. Devin Harris has been an all-star and has played at a high level.

“I think we will just be a different team. Some roles will change some and evolve. Whether that’s Josh, whether that’s Al, whether that’s Jeff or Devon, that’s going to have to unfold by itself. I can’t create that. The guys in the locker room create that. The coaches create that.”

~lw3
  • Like 1

" The guys in the locker room create that. The coaches create that.”

This may be the edgiest, flavorful tough minded guys in a while. I feel we need one more hard-nosed guy in the fold. One more. Mike Scott might be that guy. I love what Ivan, Deshawn, Zaza, Harris and Lou bring. Teague is aggressive and Korver gives up his body for the cause. Josh and Al be challenged. One thing thou, Ferry gave me pause guaranteeing Scott a spot in the roster. I see Lou elevating this group the most. I'm getting excited.

• Premium Member

" The guys in the locker room create that. The coaches create that.”

This may be the edgiest, flavorful tough minded guys in a while. I feel we need one more hard-nosed guy in the fold. One more. Mike Scott might be that guy. I love what Ivan, Deshawn, Zaza, Harris and Lou bring. Teague is aggressive and Korver gives up his body for the cause. Josh and Al be challenged. One thing thou, Ferry gave me pause guaranteeing Scott a spot in the roster. I see Lou elevating this group the most. I'm getting excited.

Swat...

I see this as a transitional team. I don't think 80% of these guys make it to next years squad. Therefore, I'm not so stoked about these guys. I think what we will see will be a lot of Jockeying for a spot and a contract. Ferry right here shoots it out there there's no leader on this team. Why would he do that?? because nobody's spot (going forward) is guaranteed. Not even Horf's. Generally, the GM turn over leadership to his coach. However, the coach is not even guaranteed. We have a lame duck franchise. These are the Cleveland Indians from Major League (the movie).

• Moderators

Swat... I see this as a transitional team. I don't think 80% of these guys make it to next years squad. Therefore, I'm not so stoked about these guys. I think what we will see will be a lot of Jockeying for a spot and a contract. Ferry right here shoots it out there there's no leader on this team. Why would he do that?? because nobody's spot (going forward) is guaranteed. Not even Horf's. Generally, the GM turn over leadership to his coach. However, the coach is not even guaranteed. We have a lame duck franchise. These are the Cleveland Indians from Major League (the movie).

I agree with some of what you said. You would expect Ferry to just say Josh and Al are our leaders. No one else on the roster is in their league talent wise, experience, or time spent as Hawks. But he didn't which is a little strange. Still this isn't anymore a lame duck franchise than 60% of the teams in the league. There is talent here and its talent in its prime at least unlike other years. The sixers did a lot last year with much less than we have here. And what we can get at the trade deadline i think will be surprising because some of the teams will start to realize how stuck they are under the new rules.

Swat... I see this as a transitional team. I don't think 80% of these guys make it to next years squad. Therefore, I'm not so stoked about these guys. I think what we will see will be a lot of Jockeying for a spot and a contract. Ferry right here shoots it out there there's no leader on this team. Why would he do that?? because nobody's spot (going forward) is guaranteed. Not even Horf's. Generally, the GM turn over leadership to his coach. However, the coach is not even guaranteed. We have a lame duck franchise. These are the Cleveland Indians from Major League (the movie).

Of course you're right it is a transitional team and they will be hoping to have career seasons. That is the rouse. Ferry and staff will have to establish an environment for the guys to be loose and feel good about each other for how temporary their stays are. They want to enjoy there times here and get the next contract. Winning without a doubt fosters that environment. If LD is successful in managing this motley group he will get a new contract somewhere. Edited by Swatguy

Josh Smith nor Al Horford are not going to listen to Kyle Korver give some sort of leadership or motivation. This is Josh and Al's team . . . period.If anybody else is the leader, we're in for a long season. So our two stars have to lead . . . and lead more by example than by verbage. Talk is cheap.

Josh Smith nor Al Horford are not going to listen to Kyle Korver give some sort of leadership or motivation. This is Josh and Al's team . . . period. If anybody else is the leader, we're in for a long season. So our two stars have to lead . . . and lead more by example than by verbage. Talk is cheap.

If Al and Josh don't make Ivan and DeShawn allies, Ivan and DeShawn will have to be moved. LD really needs to be the leader and Al will need to be his hand.

• Premium Member

Still this isn't anymore a lame duck franchise than 60% of the teams in the league.

Ask the Lakers who their leader is? Ask the OKC Thunder (a team younger than us) who their leader is? Ask Chicago who their leader is? Ask Brooklyn (a newly formed team) who their leader is? Point is I reject the notion that 60% of the league is lame duck like us. I would counter by saying 95% of the league's teams have players who they would not part with for nothing. We are the 5%.

• Premium Member

Of course you're right it is a transitional team and they will be hoping to have career seasons. That is the rouse. Ferry and staff will have to establish an environment for the guys to be loose and feel good about each other for how temporary their stays are. They want to enjoy there times here and get the next contract. Winning without a doubt fosters that environment. If LD is successful in managing this motley group he will get a new contract somewhere.

Well, Ferry made his first mistake if that's the case. He should have just said that Josh and Al are the leaders of this new young team (if that was the case). Ferry's slip tells me that nobody has a spot going through the trade deadline. That means that guys will be antsy and a hothead like Smoove may demand a trade to a contender before the deadline.
  • Like 2

Well, Ferry made his first mistake if that's the case. He should have just said that Josh and Al are the leaders of this new young team (if that was the case). Ferry's slip tells me that nobody has a spot going through the trade deadline. That means that guys will be antsy and a hothead like Smoove may demand a trade to a contender before the deadline.

It is on Ferry. We may see fights in training camp. I really don't see Weis handling this bunch but LD may have some answers. Drama around the corner.

• Premium Member

It is on Ferry. We may see fights in training camp. I really don't see Weis handling this bunch but LD may have some answers. Drama around the corner.

My guess is that we will see an every man for himself atititude and then a cleaning of the house before the deadline. We will probably suck this year.
  • Like 1

So what's the issue? How has the Hawks dynamic changed? The GM of all people doesn't declare a specific leader but this is somehow different from the coach establishing 3 concurrent captains over the last few years? What, having 3 "leaders" with their own varying personal desires (be it getting paid, moving from a position or getting All Star recognition) was the epitome of order and direction on an NBA team? C'mon now, there is no difference in the Hawks for anyone to be predicting doom and gloom based on such little sound blurbs.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

So that would be 28 teams...so at least 10+ of them don't even have a top 20 player yet they wouldn't let a player in the 30s or so go for a good trade? That some seriously blinded/homer GMs then

Nope... some players are on sucky teams but their teams will not part with them for nothing. Do you think Minny would give up Love? How about N.O. giving up Anthony Davis? As a matter of fact, I would be willing to bet that we could offer N.O. Horf and Smoove for Davis plus Sucky filler and they would not take the deal. Most teams have players that fit that bill. Weather you're talking Lebron and Miami, Durant and OKC.. or Wall and Washington. There's some players that are franchise players. I just don't think we have that right now.

• Premium Member

So what's the issue? How has the Hawks dynamic changed? The GM of all people doesn't declare a specific leader but this is somehow different from the coach establishing 3 concurrent captains over the last few years? What, having 3 "leaders" with their own varying personal desires (be it getting paid, moving from a position or getting All Star recognition) was the epitome of order and direction on an NBA team? C'mon now, there is no difference in the Hawks for anyone to be predicting doom and gloom based on such little sound blurbs.

Doom and Gloom??

Check it out. The GM comes out and says this team has no leaders. This suggests some things:

1. He pre-empts the coach who (as you say) normally makes that call. That can be taken to mean that this coach has seen his time here.

2. He goes away from the guys who have been established here for the past 5-7 years and have worn the captains C before... That can be taken to mean that these guys shouldn't be considered the leader of this team any longer.

Notice... we didn't bring in a Dawayne Wade or a Dirk or a Steve Nash who could command leadership just by coming. We have a bunch of guys on the last year of their contract.

It's not gloom and doom... Ferry set the table and told us, this team is in transition.

Lmao, some people will see what they want to see.....or just act out a role for the sake of it."The leader of the team is the team" equals THERE ARE NO LEADERS ON THIS TEAM OF TRANSITIONING PLAYERS!!!!!Check the larger quote for some clarity“I think we will just be a different team. Some roles will change some and evolve. Whether that’s Josh, whether that’s Al, whether that’s Jeff or Devon, that’s going to have to unfold by itself. I can’t create that. The guys in the locker room create that. The coaches create that.”He leaves leadership of the team to the players and coaches to figure out.........just like every other GM ever but whatever DOOM AND GLOOM!!!!!!! Danny said explicitly there are no leaders.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

He leaves leadership of the team to the players and coaches to figure out.........just like every other GM ever but whatever DOOM AND GLOOM!!!!!!! Danny said explicitly there are no leaders.

Why change something that didn't need changing?

He replaced one of our CO-captains with 1 yr deals.

With the same coach in place, doesn't that mean those other guys who were co-captains are still co-captains?

I read something into his statement because there was something said there. He said.. " it doesn't matter who was leaders last year, I'm putting my mark on this team. So what was last year is not going to be now."

In other words... Don't look for LD or Smoove or Horf to have rock solid deals here. Even in your quote... Didn't you notice how he refused to say " Coach Drew will decide that"... What he said instead is "the coaches will decide that".

If the fact that there's great turnover in LD's assistants isn't a big enough, him using "the coaches" instead of "Coach Drew" lets us know how lame duck everything is right now.

Why change something that didn't need changing?

He replaced one of our CO-captains with 1 yr deals.

With the same coach in place, doesn't that mean those other guys who were co-captains are still co-captains?

I read something into his statement because there was something said there. He said.. " it doesn't matter who was leaders last year, I'm putting my mark on this team. So what was last year is not going to be now."

In other words... Don't look for LD or Smoove or Horf to have rock solid deals here. Even in your quote... Didn't you notice how he refused to say " Coach Drew will decide that"... What he said instead is "the coaches will decide that".

If the fact that there's great turnover in LD's assistants isn't a big enough, him using "the coaches" instead of "Coach Drew" lets us know how lame duck everything is right now.

So we are. "Major League 2013". But Bob Weis!?! Geez