• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

As a hopeful prediction lets say Josh Smith plays the way fans want him to play AKA to his strengths.....do we give him a JJ contract or close to it?

JTB

Lets just say Josh has a spectacular year the ENTIRE SEASON.....let's say Smith avg. 21 to 25ppg, 1.3stl, 10reb, 1.5blk and shoots a good fg percentage of 60-65 percent cause he is attacking the goal or making good post scoring and to add he shoots 75% on free throws!

Take all those stats use them in the playoffs as well! and yes let's say he plays smart for the majority of the season where us fans can't really say anything about the guy! And of course lets say he makes the all star team........NOW

what Im trying to do here is see how hated this guy is based off ATL fans because if I was Ferry and Smith did this! I would make this HIS team no doubt and I would be willing to give him a 85mil contract over 5 years without hesitation!

BUT I will admit it would scare me to give him that contract cause he could go back to his old ways but hell man that just a risk i would have to take! Cause if Smith really does showout this season and its good enough to be effective in the playoffs to win games than he's going to be expecting some BIG time money from somebody no doubt!

So one more time Squawkers! ...the question is would you give Josh Smith a similar contract to JJ thats either 100mil or close to it (like 85 mil) if and only if he performed lights out stats as well as making the all star team and winning games for us in the playoffs?

Edited by JTB
  • Like 1

Forget the name of the player a second.Pretend we have a chance to sign a player who averages 17ppg, 9 rpg, 1.5 spg, 3.9 apg and 1.8 bpg while shooting 48%.Those are his 3 year averages between the ages of 24-26. What is he/she worth? Not taking defensive presence, etc into the equation and not taking arguing with refs in to the equation. Those stats = a 15 million dollar per year player in the current NBA.Take a look at last year's 14-15 million dollar players. Do those stats fit in this list (remembering the player was 24-26)? 18. Paul Pierce Boston Celtics $15.3 million 19. Andrew Bynum Los Angeles Lakers $15.1 million 20. Antawn Jamison Cleveland Cavaliers $15.0 million 21. Rudy Gay Memphis Grizzlies $15.0 million 22. Brandon Roy Portland Trailblazers $14.9 million 23. Chauncey Billups New York Knicks $14.2 million Roy, Gay, Jamison. Current NBA salary structure would dictate that based on past performance, he would command a salary starting at 15 per. Increasing his ppg to 21-25 and he's a max player. Someone will pay it, the question is will it be us.

If he plays to his strengths and gets rid of almost all of his long shots then he will be an MVP candidate and of course we sign him to whatever it takesBut I'm not holding my breath and would rather trade him soon while he has more value bc i put the odds of him playing right at less than 10%

Well first off, those stats on that efficiency would be GODLY. 21-25ppg on 60-65% shooting? I don't even think hall of famers have put that up. Duncan has never done that, Shaq had barely even cracked that, Malone would kill for that, etc etc etc. In that scenario, sure, absolutely. In reality though, that's not likely to ever happen. The worry about paying Josh a max contract that will go through to his early 30s is that he is a player that is overly reliant on his physical abilities and those just so happen to be the years that those abilities naturally decline. Though they don't share the same previous injury history, look no further than the decline of Amar'e as a buyer's beware of maxing athletic freaks. Look to Josh's Boston series post tendinitis for a taste of him with declining athleticism. When handing out a 5 year deal you need to be able to predict a lil 5 years down the road.As far as Camp's criteria, I don't know if I can just compare him to others that made that flat number. It doesn't take into account that most of those are ending totals or beginnings of lower tiered NBA experience salary maxes or just flat out discounts by the players. While looking at the statistical output, well you're making a good case for Paul Millsap's agent. I wouldn't start him at a deal paying 15 mil but I wouldn't mind paying him on a deal that averaged that amount.

• Premium Member

I like Josh, but no. As previously mentioned, he is a player that is predominantly reliant on his athletic ability, which will begin to decline sooner rather than later. He's never been a high level skill player and probably never will be. You just can't invest a max or near max contract in a player like that.

• Moderators

If Josh broke through as you describe with a season maximizing his potential that would be among the great seasons of the last 20 years, you go in for the max for sure. I always felt Josh had more potential than anyone on the Hawks roster since he has been here and if he converted that he would be well worth it.

• Moderators

I don't hate Josh. He is an Atlanta native, playing for my Hawks, but even if Josh did those numbers, I still couldn't justify a max deal. I couldn't justify making this his team either for one reason - he isn't a number one option in this league. He is not the guy you are going to rely on to win you games. He is the guy that will help you win, but the guy that puts the team on his shoulders and carries them to victory deserves the big check. Do you trust Josh in the final seconds of a close game? Do you see Josh being trusted to hit a game winning shot?

• Moderators

I don't hate Josh. He is an Atlanta native, playing for my Hawks, but even if Josh did those numbers, I still couldn't justify a max deal. I couldn't justify making this his team either for one reason - he isn't a number one option in this league. He is not the guy you are going to rely on to win you games. He is the guy that will help you win, but the guy that puts the team on his shoulders and carries them to victory deserves the big check. Do you trust Josh in the final seconds of a close game? Do you see Josh being trusted to hit a game winning shot?

Any player scoring 20-25 points per game on 60-65% shooting is a number one option in the NBA.

Hell No! We should of learned our lesson form JJ. Don't pay guys Superstar money who aren't superstars. Save it for guys who can get you the #1 seed almost on their on. They might not be able to win it all alone, but they get you past the second round.

• Like 1

Lets just say Josh has a spectacular year the ENTIRE SEASON.....let's say Smith avg. 21 to 25ppg, 1.3stl, 10reb, 1.5blk and shoots a good fg percentage of 60-65 percent cause he is attacking the goal or making good post scoring and to add he shoots 75% on free throws!

Take all those stats use them in the playoffs as well! and yes let's say he plays smart for the majority of the season where us fans can't really say anything about the guy! And of course lets say he makes the all star team........NOW

what Im trying to do here is see how hated this guy is based off ATL fans because if I was Ferry and Smith did this! I would make this HIS team no doubt and I would be willing to give him a 85mil contract over 5 years without hesitation!

BUT I will admit it would scare me to give him that contract cause he could go back to his old ways but hell man that just a risk i would have to take! Cause if Smith really does showout this season and its good enough to be effective in the playoffs to win games than he's going to be expecting some BIG time money from somebody no doubt!

So one more time Squawkers! ...the question is would you give Josh Smith a similar contract to JJ thats either 100mil or close to it (like 85 mil) if and only if he performed lights out stats as well as making the all star team and winning games for us in the playoffs?

LOL . . let's jack those numbers down a bit.

23.5 ppg

10 rebs

1.5 blks

1.3 stls

52% FG

75% FT

In the history of the NBA, the only people who have done that are

- Kareem

- Wilt

- Barkley

- Bird

http://www.basketbal...at=&order_by=ws

That's it.

So if Josh were able to do that, not only would somebody give him a MAX deal, we'd be kind of stupid ( or get heavily ripped for it ), if we didn't.

Forget the name of the player a second.

Pretend we have a chance to sign a player who averages 17ppg, 9 rpg, 1.5 spg, 3.9 apg and 1.8 bpg while shooting 48%.

Those are his 3 year averages between the ages of 24-26. What is he/she worth? Not taking defensive presence, etc into the equation and not taking arguing with refs in to the equation. Those stats = a 15 million dollar per year player in the current NBA.

Take a look at last year's 14-15 million dollar players. Do those stats fit in this list (remembering the player was 24-26)?

18. Paul Pierce Boston Celtics

$15.3 million

19. Andrew Bynum Los Angeles Lakers

$15.1 million

20. Antawn Jamison Cleveland Cavaliers

$15.0 million

21. Rudy Gay Memphis Grizzlies

$15.0 million

22. Brandon Roy Portland Trailblazers

$14.9 million

23. Chauncey Billups New York Knicks

$14.2 million

Roy, Gay, Jamison.

Current NBA salary structure would dictate that based on past performance, he would command a salary starting at 15 per. Increasing his ppg to 21-25 and he's a max player. Someone will pay it, the question is will it be us.

I agree. Edited by northcyde

Question to Lang Green of Hoopsworld:

J

If Josh has a spectacular season, playing to his strengths(inside), the defensive anchor,rebounding and defense does he DESERVE a max contract? I don’t want another Joe Johnson situation (paying max $ for a good but not great player).

[*]

Lang Greene

I only think about 10 guys in the league are worth MAX contracts, but as the CBA currently stands guys like Smoove will be able to command one. If Smoove has another season like he did in 2012 then the Hawks will have to pony up the dough. It’s not about deserving, it’s about market value. Smoove will be one of the marquee free agent targets next summer.

ATTENTION SQUAWKERS!!!LOL my bad on those numbers! I dont know what the hell Im thinkin! hahahahahaIts Football season and the ATL FALCONS are on a roll! Im not in my NBA mindset just yet! Again my bad forgive me on that 65% shooting! Hell if he did that I wouldnt bother asking you guys! LOLLets take those numbers down like others have and continue the discussion (I was high on all this football action)that 60 percent must have came from that awesome ass stat of Matty ice who is 69 percent on his passes so far!...yeah thats where it came from! Lhh

• Moderators

Josh isn't a max player. Folks we traded JJ the salary not JJ the player. Why do that only to make another stupid mistake and over pay Josh Smith. After 8 seasons he is what is.

Isn't the whole premise of the thread asking how you would evaluate things if he wasn't the same player he has been in the past and he took a big step forward in development of his game? I don't know how you respond to a thread that says, "assume Josh isn't what he has been and substantively develops his game" by saying "he is what he is."