• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Josh Smith Will Not Sign Extension With Hawks

AHawks89

• Moderators

^Old news for us, yeah, but just repackaged to tantalize the New York tabloid readers in the Daily News. Two Hawks-related NBA items are in the link to the same RealGM-linked article:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/lawrence-lin-rockets-bargained-article-1.1182684

Royce White, the Houston rookie who suffers from anxiety problems and can't fly, is going to try to travel by bus for the Rockets' road games. It sounds practically impossible to pull off, considering the distances and time involved. But White can't do it any other way. Several teams, including Atlanta, crossed his name off their draft lists because of his condition. He takes medication to try to help deal with it.

Not sure if it was Royce's disabilities so much as Boston's reported 'guarantee', once it was clear the Hawks wouldn't/couldn't move up, but whatevs.

Avery Johnson wants Joe Johnson to "play harder and tougher'' on defense. Not that the Nets coach thinks Johnson is a slacker. When he interviewed for the Hawks head coaching job, in 2010, he said he only wanted the job if the team intended to re-sign Johnson, then a free agent. "He was good in Atlanta as a defender," Avery Johnson said. "Now I just want him to take it to the next level."

~lw3

• Premium Member

Although what the article says is old news, it's still significant. I don't think it's a given that Josh will resign in Atlanta, especially if the team struggles and he receives criticism for it as the top guy now. It seems, at least to me, that his new founf happiness with the team has less to do with Ferry and his plans and more to do with Josh being the number one guy on a team.