• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

They like us, they really really like us...........

HawkItus

• Moderators

imho........the Hawks will likely experience a similiar effect as the Denver Nuggets when they traded away Carmelo. Players will be freed up to accomplish things on offence they never would have been able to with Joe here. The main benefactors I see being Teague and Al. Both of these guys will move up in the pecking order. Both can be much more efficient scorers for the team without Joe. Also, their opportunities will come earlier in the clock allowing them to have a better chance at an effiicient shot. Drew wants the team to push the ball. Josh, Al, and Teague have always run well. Joe was the guy who preferred a halfcourt game. What we know about this team is out the window. Josh and Al have never had the freedom to run and hit the offensive bord the way they do now. We should have good speed in the backcourt and they should be able to get back on defense stopping a lot of the fastbreak action of the past.

That is an apt comparison since they didn't change much - first round exits pretty much every year with and without Carmelo.

Not this season for sure. The difference is that we have the ability to build for a championship now whereas the status quo kept us locked in with the "core" absent some trade where we just murder the other team. I will go ahead and say it. If we are the #2 team in the East, this is a very down year for the East. I don't think that we will be that team but the only teams I see as contenders in the East right now are: 1) Miami, 2) Chicago (and they are worse than last year pre-Rose injury), and 3) Boston. I am not a believer in Atl, NJ, Ind, NY, Phi or anyone else from the East as a contender.

I am a beleiver in Philly but am on hold but concerned with Indy. Bynum gives the 76ers a beast down low and they already had the 3rd best D in the east. With Howard out West and Bynum added, I really think they are #2 now and have the best D in the east easily. Chicago gets a healthy Rose and it would be a toss up if they met in the playoffs. Miami is still#1.

I am a beleiver in Philly but am on hold but concerned with Indy. Bynum gives the 76ers a beast down low and they already had the 3rd best D in the east. With Howard out West and Bynum added, I really think they are #2 now and have the best D in the east easily. Chicago gets a healthy Rose and it would be a toss up if theuy met in the playoffs. Miami is still#1.

Don't for get that Philly lost their best perimeter defender from last season (Iggy) and best interior defender (Brand).I don't know if you can say that they are adding Bynum to the 3rd best defense if those guys are gone.
  • Like 1

Don't for get that Philly lost their best perimeter defender from last season (Iggy) and best interior defender (Brand).I don't know if you can say that they are adding Bynum to the 3rd best defense if those guys are gone.

My thoughts exactly.

With your reasoning we should barely make the playoffs. We lost our two best perimeter defenders in JJ and Marvin. My real point is Philly is young, loaded, and improving. They added Jason Richardson, Dorell Wright, Nick Young, and rookie Arnette Moultrie. So here is how I see it: Bynum, Richardson, Young, Wright, and Moultrie added is greater than Brand and Iggy lost. Philly can now not only out defend teams, they can out score them ( which is something they had a hard time doing last season ).

• Moderators

With your reasoning we should barely make the playoffs. We lost our two best perimeter defenders in JJ and Marvin. My real point is Philly is young, loaded, and improving. They added Jason Richardson, Dorell Wright, Nick Young, and rookie Arnette Moultrie. So here is how I see it: Bynum, Richardson, Young, Wright, and Moultrie added is greater than Brand and Iggy lost. Philly can now not only out defend teams, they can out score them ( which is something they had a hard time doing last season ).

Philly has that potential but let's see what they look like in an actual game before getting too far ahead of the ball.

Philly has that potential but let's see what they look like in an actual game before getting too far ahead of the ball.

LOL saying this in a thread concerning a article ..... that is making preseason predictions .

• Premium Member

Wait, what? So this is projecting the Hawks to be 2nd in the east? Cool. Of course they have the Nuggets being 1st in the west and Minny being 3rd (ahead of the lakers).

Can't wait to start playing some games man. If we finish second in the east with this squad I'm going to gold plate my Ferry statue.

My point...

• Premium Member

Not this season for sure. The difference is that we have the ability to build for a championship now whereas the status quo kept us locked in with the "core" absent some trade where we just murder the other team. I will go ahead and say it. If we are the #2 team in the East, this is a very down year for the East. I don't think that we will be that team but the only teams I see as contenders in the East right now are: 1) Miami, 2) Chicago (and they are worse than last year pre-Rose injury), and 3) Boston. I am not a believer in Atl, NJ, Ind, NY, Phi or anyone else from the East as a contender.

Fool's gold. That's what we are. We are a fan base that want to put all the fault on Joe and say that Joe stopped the ball and hindered everybody's game. What we will find is that Joe gave guys freedom to play their best game. What we have now is guys who are individually talented but none of which have the ability to step up and lead. What that means is that you will have guys trying to be the leader... guys like Smoove trying to BE the man. Guys like Williams trying to BE the Man. And we still have some problems in the frontcourt that we refuse to address. I guess it's going to take Josh having an embarrassing season and becoming frustrated and leaving for us to address the frontcourt. Hopefully we finally go after a 5. Here are the things that should be moving forward: Al = PF. Teague = OG/PG. Williams = 6th man. If Harris shows that he can play OG and help Teague be more PG.. good if not, Jenkins or Morrow = SG. I know that they don't make them anymore but we need a Pick and roll PG who can hit an open shot. I know that they don't make them anymore but we need a true 6'9 - 6'10 SF who can run the wing and defend the perimeter. I know that they don't make them anymore but we need a back to the basket C who plays defense and can get us about 10 rpg.

• Moderators

LOL saying this in a thread concerning a article ..... that is making preseason predictions .

I guess that was my way of saying that I disagree that Philly will be an offensive juggernaut with an outstanding defense, but am open to having my mind changed based on the regular season performance.

As of today, I see Philly as having a sub-par offense SG with poor range (Turner); a one-dimensional defensive sieve with range (N. Young); a non-impact PG that is young enough to still develop; a tweener forward with some skill but modest impact (T. Young); subpar, limited PF options outside of their tweener; and a center who could be a star but could also miss big chunks of the season with his recurring injuries. It wouldn't shock me to see this team in the lottery if Bynum goes down and with him, I see them underachieving compared to their playoff run last year - middle of the pack and a potential first round exit or 2nd round domination by one of the true contenders.

• Like 1

I guess that was my way of saying that I disagree that Philly will be an offensive juggernaut with an outstanding defense, but am open to having my mind changed based on the regular season performance. As of today, I see Philly as having a sub-par offense SG with poor range (Turner); a one-dimensional defensive sieve with range (N. Young); a non-impact PG that is young enough to still develop; a tweener forward with some skill but modest impact (T. Young); subpar, limited PF options outside of their tweener; and a center who could be a star but could also miss big chunks of the season with his recurring injuries. It wouldn't shock me to see this team in the lottery if Bynum goes down and with him, I see them underachieving compared to their playoff run last year - middle of the pack and a potential first round exit or 2nd round domination by one of the true contenders.

Unless Bynum stays healthy and proves he can be the focal point of an offense, they really aren't that great. They need shooters and a 4 badly.