• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Levenson: "And I Am Telling You..." (AJC)

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Vivlamore's back from vacation, and posted his interview with Bruce Lev, who is not going anywhere (also printed in Sunday's paper).

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2012/10/28/atlanta-hawks-one-year-later-ownership-extremely-fortunate-with-stake-in-team/

Levenson said the group has made no effort to sell the team since the deal with Alex Meruelo was called off Nov. 4, 2011. He said the group hopes to add minority investors, but is focused on building the franchise and owning it long-term.

Levenson’s account of the group’s intentions appears confirmed by the Hawks’ hiring this summer of general manager Danny Ferry, who says he wouldn’t have accepted the job if he hadn’t been convinced of the stability and commitment of ownership.

It’s a substantial change from a year ago.

Reeling from a five-year legal battle with former partner Steve Belkin and the sale/relocation of the Thrashers hockey team, the ownership group agreed in August 2011 to sell a controlling interest in the Hawks to Meruelo. When the deal collapsed three months later because Meruelo wouldn’t meet financial conditions placed on it by the NBA, the Hawks owners announced the team no longer was for sale. Even so, many observers figured the group might continue quiet efforts to sell.

Actually, Levenson said in the interview at a CNN Center restaurant, the group had come to regret the decision to sell by the time the Meruelo deal collapsed...

“At that point, we kind of looked at each other (within the ownership group) and said, ‘What are we doing? We love this. We can do better, but we’re doing plenty of things right here. Let’s really commit ourselves going forward.’ And that’s what happened.”,,,

A year later, as a new season approaches, Levenson said his group would like to add minority investors who could contribute to the organization in ways beyond financial, but added “nothing is imminent” on that front.

“We’ve had preliminary conversations with people who we think could add strategic value,” Levenson said. “These people come everywhere from the entertainment world to the international community.”

He reiterated in a followup email that such person(s) would be “not a majority investor” and “at the top of our list would be our desire to add people with standing in the Atlanta community as ideal additions to our group.”

The owners’ best-received move might have been hiring Ferry after courting him for three months.

“We had very clear and open conversations,” Ferry said. “I asked very direct questions of (Levenson). He gave very clear and honest answers. He asked direct questions of me. I gave very clear and honest answers. This was a situation I (was) comfortable in, very comfortable that we were going to be given a great opportunity to succeed.

“I wanted to feel comfortable we would be working together going forward. …. I wanted to feel I was working for someone with strong values who I would enjoy working with.”

Among the questions Ferry asked before accepting the job, according to Levenson: “One, were we committed to building a championship organization here? And two, did we have our act together in terms of how we manage this business from an ownership perspective?

“There is no way Danny Ferry comes here,” Levenson said, “if, through his due diligence, he didn’t determine that was the case.”

~lw3
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Loving the Stephanie Mills' homages... +1s abound. On topic, good to see Hawks not going anywhere. As long as the owners let the GM (Ferry) do his job, the. future looks brighter than it has for some time now.

Jennifer Holliday.
  • Like 1