• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Why doesn't Ivan Johnson get more playing time?

PaceRam

I don't get to see the Hawks games but looking at the stats (and, I know stats can be deceiving!) it sure seems to me that Ivan Johnson should be getting more playing time. There must be some reason that he is not getting more playing time and wondering if some of you Hawks fans that are fortunate enough to see them play could give us some of those reasons.

• Moderators

Maybe the fact that he's a below average rebounder and not much of a defender in the post? I like Ivan but he has to get a lot better in those areas. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I'd buy this if it weren't for the fact that those minutes are going to Tolliver at the PF position who is much worse as a rebounder and is no better defending the post. Also, Ivan is rebounding at the same per 36 rate as Horford. Here are the numbers: Zaza 10.1 RB/36 Ivan 9.1 RB/36 Horford 9.1 RB/36 Josh 8.3 RB/36 Tolliver 5.2 RB/36 So how is rebounding a reason not to play him again?
  • Like 1

Yea, Ivan rebounds but I will agree that his length hurts him on defense especially since he's brought in against opposing centers. He can guard a guy out to perimeter, take charges and get a block on help but in the post against most anyone with length, even if his strength holds them off, I've seen guys too often just go over their shoulder and he can't offer a decent contest.

I'd buy this if it weren't for the fact that those minutes are going to Tolliver at the PF position who is much worse as a rebounder and is no better defending the post. Also, Ivan is rebounding at the same per 36 rate as Horford. Here are the numbers: Zaza 10.1 RB/36 Ivan 9.1 RB/36 Horford 9.1 RB/36 Josh 8.3 RB/36 Tolliver 5.2 RB/36 So how is rebounding a reason not to play him again?

You can't bring in PER36 numbers to compare a guy playing 36MPG to a guy playing 11MPG as that's a huge jump to assume that he'll rebound at the same or better rate when tripling his minutes. Defense is the biggest reason we he doesn't get more minutes though as he's a below average defender. As to his minutes vs Tolliver, my only explanation would be that Tolliver offers the flexibility to play SF (11% team minutes) and PF (20% team minutes) whereas Ivan is almost strictly a PF. Tolliver is pretty bad at both positions in NET PER and Ivan is bad at PF with NET PER but Ivan has played 4% of the teams minutes at C and has a great NET PER there, although with only 4% of the minutes I can't put too much stock into it.

Failed to mention that Ivan also averages 7.5 fouls PER36 (with 5 fouls last night) and it's hard to stay on the court like that. I guess it's easy to blame Drew for Ivan fouling at a rate that more than doubles any of our starters. Damn LD you idiot! Don't you know that Ivan would have never picked up that 6th foul!!!!

LD is just a bad coach. And he must really hate IVAN. The man is doing very well considering hs limited time, but the idiot will rather play Tolliver ahead of IVAN. Again, in a game in which we were being badly beaten on the boards.

Tolliver (and I am NOT defending him) played 11 minutes with 1 rebound. Ivan played 22 minutes with 4 rebounds. That's what, a 100% increase in PER36 rebounding? But in the grand scheme of things, it's a 2 rebound difference with equal minutes and I hardly think that would have given us the win. Ivan's scoring could have made a difference, but his 1-4 FT performance could have literally made the difference between a win and a loss last night.

• Premium Member

Tolliver (and I am NOT defending him) played 11 minutes with 1 rebound. Ivan played 22 minutes with 4 rebounds. That's what, a 100% increase in PER36 rebounding? But in the grand scheme of things, it's a 2 rebound difference with equal minutes and I hardly think that would have given us the win. Ivan's scoring could have made a difference, but his 1-4 FT performance could have literally made the difference between a win and a loss last night.

... so you believe 1-4 FT could lose us the game but you don't think 2 more rebounds (2 extra possessions for us and 2 fewer possessions for the Warriors) could help us win? Let's do some math here.

IVAN left 3 points at the line.

We had 98 possessions last night if I'm not mistaken

23 3PA @ .304

55 2PA @ .491

18 trips to the line (8 possessions) @ .722

12 turnovers.

So with two more possessions we could have had

(23 / 98) *2 poss * 3 points *.304 3FG% = .428 points

(55 / 98) *2 poss * 2 points *.491 FG% = 1.102 points

(8 / 98) *2 poss * (2 * 1 point) *.722 FT% = .236 points

(12 / 98) * 2 poss * 0 points (TOs) = 0 points

So according tp last night stats we could have scored 1.766 more points had we had 2 extra possessions.

Let's check GS's nimbers. They had around 105 possessions last night

(18 / 105) *2 poss * 3 points *.278 3FG% = .286 points

(53 / 105) *2 poss * 2 points *.528 FG% = 1.066 points

(11 / 105) *2 poss * (2 * 1 point) *.840 FT% = .352 points

23 turnovers for 0 points

With 2 fewer possessions, they could have scored 1.704 fewer points

Nimbers may be a bit off here, BUT these simple calculations show that 2 more rebounds could have resulted in a 3.470 point swing, which beats the 3 free throws missed by IVAN AND would actually put the Hawks ahead in the score late in the 4th. We lost by 4, counting the 2 extra free throws we were forced to concede in the last seconds.

2 more rebounds could have actually won us the game. That's why LD should play IVAN more minutes, even if he will eventually foul

out.

REBOUNDING WINS GAMES. Posted Image

Edited by BrazilianHawk

• Moderators

I hope Drew doesn't repeat the mistakes of the past by not playing guys for fear they will foul out. If they aren't performing, that is one thing. But if you are afraid they will miss minutes after fouling out so your answer is playing them even fewer minutes on the front end so they won't be at risk of fouling out that doesn't make sense. Free Ivan over Tolliver at PF!

Can you blame Larry though? Unlike Lester, the magic 8 ball actually offers answers.

I was surprised that last night the 8-ball told LD to get a T. What was that, his second all-time? And clearly the best response from 8 is "Cross your arms and stare off into space"

... so you believe 1-4 FT could lose us the game but you don't think 2 more rebounds (2 extra possessions for us and 2 fewer possessions for the Warriors) could help us win? Let's do some math here.

IVAN left 3 points at the line.

We had 98 possessions last night if I'm not mistaken

23 3PA @ .304

55 2PA @ .491

18 trips to the line (8 possessions) @ .722

12 turnovers.

So with two more possessions we could have had

(23 / 98) *2 poss * 3 points *.304 3FG% = .428 points

(55 / 98) *2 poss * 2 points *.491 FG% = 1.102 points

(8 / 98) *2 poss * (2 * 1 point) *.722 FT% = .236 points

(12 / 98) * 2 poss * 0 points (TOs) = 0 points

So according tp last night stats we could have scored 1.766 more points had we had 2 extra possessions.

Let's check GS's nimbers. They had around 105 possessions last night

(18 / 105) *2 poss * 3 points *.278 3FG% = .286 points

(53 / 105) *2 poss * 2 points *.528 FG% = 1.066 points

(11 / 105) *2 poss * (2 * 1 point) *.840 FT% = .352 points

23 turnovers for 0 points

With 2 fewer possessions, they could have scored 1.704 fewer points

Nimbers may be a bit off here, BUT these simple calculations show that 2 more rebounds could have resulted in a 3.470 point swing, which beats the 3 free throws missed by IVAN AND would actually put the Hawks ahead in the score late in the 4th. We lost by 4, counting the 2 extra free throws we were forced to concede in the last seconds.

2 more rebounds could have actually won us the game. That's why LD should play IVAN more minutes, even if he will eventually foul

out.

REBOUNDING WINS GAMES. Posted Image

You're assuming that the rebounds lead to baskets for us. Those 2 extra rebounds could have been on the offensive end and we could have missed both shots. I know for a fact if he makes those 3 missed FTs that we'd have been 3 points closer and we wouldn't have intentionally fouled at the end so who knows what could have happened. Of course rebounds are important, but I don't think they were as much of a difference maker last night as the FT shooting.