• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Josh Smith

Jody23

• Premium Member

According to Steve Kyler (on twitter), a new deal with the Hawks is all but assured with Josh. He says he's talked to Josh and Josh is sold on remaining in Atlanta and that, despite the rumors, the Hawks have zero interest in trading him. Makes me wonder what other plans Ferry has in store for the offseason.

So according to Josh, the Hawks have zero interest in trading him? Not sure he would know if that was the case. I hope this is not true but if it is, I hope he is signing for less than 10mill a season (which more than likely isn't the case). This could be really bad. Really really bad.

He wont sign an extension in season. He will wait to test the market so we give him more money or match an offer sheet. Do not expect anything less than 12 mil a year and he wants a 5 yr deal.

Edited by hawkrule152

• Premium Member

So according to Josh, the Hawks have zero interest in trading him? Not sure he would know if that was the case. I hope this is not true but if it is, I hope he is signing for less than 10mill a season (which more than likely isn't the case). This could be really bad. Really really bad.

No, the guy states the Hawks have indicated they have zero interest in trading him.

He wont sign an extension in season. He will wait to test the market so we give him more money or match an offer sheet. Do not expect anything less than 12 mil a year and he wants a 5 yr deal.

there is no offer sheet. He's an UFA. RFA's are guys coming off their rookie deals, always has been. he can sign wherever and we cant match anything he's just gone

there is no offer sheet. He's an UFA. RFA's are guys coming off their rookie deals, always has been. he can sign wherever and we cant match anything he's just gone

I gotcha.. Was not aware of that.. Actually make more since tho haha.. Edited by hawkrule152

I would say seven games into the season is too early, but if this happened before the halfway mark I wouldn't be surprised at all. IF it's true that Danny Ferry values him as a hybrid forward in a increasingly small-ball NBA, and IF it's true that Josh Smith is open to the idea of staying in Atlanta, then this makes perfect sense to me.Think about how bad his season has been going so far. If there's any silver lining, it's that he won't be commanding max dollars anymore. Not to say he ever would have gotten a max deal in the first place, but at least now he (or, more likely, his agent) have to understand that it's not going to happen now. Both sides have reasons to lock this deal down ASAP: Ferry wants to keep the total salary commitment low and would like to get a cheap deal done quickly, and Smith wants to ensure a decent-paying future which becomes less and less likely as the season goes on.That being said, if Josh can get his act back together, it makes much more sense for him to wait it out. That's a big if though.

Posted Image Can I get an "I told you so?" Danny Ferry has a plan. It doesn't take much knowledge to know who he wants to add.Posted ImagePosted Image

I know it's going to piss some of you off if Josh is not traded, it is fun/funny to hear some of the "rumors" about Josh being traded but I'm trusting Danny boy on this one. Posted Image

Edited by Brotha2ThaNite
  • Like 1

So you are happy that the Hawks essentially would make themselves non-factors for the upcoming years? Josh is not a winner. Why do you guys love him so much? Doesn't make sense at all why you would be cheering like he is damn Kobe or LeBron or something. Funny how a few blocked shots and slam dunks is enough to satisfy some fans. When does winning come into the equation?

• Premium Member

Posted Image Can I get an "I told you so?" Danny Ferry has a plan. It doesn't take much knowledge to know who he wants to add.Posted ImagePosted Image

I know it's going to piss some of you off if Josh is not traded, it is fun/funny to hear some of the "rumors" about Josh being traded but I'm trusting Danny boy on this one. Posted Image

That's great, but the real question is will the plan actually come to fruition?

• Moderators

So you are happy that the Hawks essentially would make themselves non-factors for the upcoming years? Josh is not a winner. Why do you guys love him so much? Doesn't make sense at all why you would be cheering like he is damn Kobe or LeBron or something. Funny how a few blocked shots and slam dunks is enough to satisfy some fans. When does winning come into the equation?

You have to add the fact that he is an Atlanta native and fans gravitate towards that. Honestly, I believe it's a part of DF's plan: an Atlanta-homecoming team. Lou was brought in, he is a Gwinnett legend. We have Morrow who played college ball at GT and of course Josh... The big FA target is Dwight who also is an Atlanta native... It's not the best recipe for making a team, but it's one that fans and the Atlanta community can get behind. It's not a bad thing that people in Atlanta like to cheer and support one of their own.

Ferry does not have a plan. He is selling people a dream. I can't believe people are still running around talking about Dwight and or Paul after what you have seen over the last couple of summers. The NBA will throw Dwight some extra change if necessary to keep him in a market that is essential to the NBA's success. Dan Ferry isn't a guy with a history of getting what he wants. Cleveland and Atlanta are not essentials. Keep dreaming and spewing nonsense.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

If what is being said is true, then we can forget about anytrades for multiple future first round picks and the like. It seems the Hawks want to try to win in the short term rather than a long term rebuild. If the Hawks make any trades, it will be with a view to making them better in the short term first it appears. Otherwise, their "not trading Josh" stance could backfire.