• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Frustration with fans

bruincoach

I used to go to about 5-8 games a year with my nephew when I was in Atlanta but now that I'm in tn I make it to about 2 a year. Wish I could make it to more but finances don't allow. But fan support does suck in regards to the hawks

Looks like economic realities have overcome shallow fan support. I'm actually very happy to see attendance down; maybe it's an indication that people are more interested in more important things than sports.I propose this for most lame, peer pressure thread of the year. If you want to spend your money and you want to prioritize Hawks basketball, go ahead. Let others decide for themselves without this critical thread.I'm for a massive boycott. Stop going for a spell and watch the phenomomenon of supply and demand bring things back into perspective.They continue to sell pro sports as "our" teams, but it's just a another big business contributing to a perverted economic and social system where their are no priorities, just egoism.If you don't want to read my rant, cool, but, if youpost a lame thread like this, I'm gonna talk.It's just sports. i hope you have something more important to prioritze.

I'm the opposite. I would go sit in the upper deck every game as opposed to go to 5 games in great seats. Only reason I have only been to 40% is one season I essentially missed every game after Christmas because my son was born with a rare genetic disorder and we couldn't make it to any of the last 30ish home games. We typically go to the most regular games and keep our kids away from the sold out houses because I can't let my son catch anything It is expensive to attend for a large family but only if you get expensive tickets. I would say moderate tickets to a decent team is 15 a ticket x 4=60 + 10 parking+ 20 gas +30 food= 120. Not an every day event but there are a ton of people that live in Atlanta , unlike a lot if you, that could Marta in and buy tickets o the game. It amazes meI swear I felt like the crowd was sad we won

• Premium Member

I live about two hours or more away but I wouldn't go to the games if I lived next door. I am boycotting spending any money on the Hawks until the A$G are gone. They betrayed me as a Thrasher fan and ticket holder and I'll be damned if I give them my money after it.

• Like 1

We go to games when our budget allows (3 tickets plus parking and snacks to keep 4 year old occupied). I've always gotten good deals on stubhub.com. I have been to 2 games for the season (opening night and overtime thriller against Wizard). I sat in section 120 for the Wizards game and paid $18 ea- tickets in that same section for the clippers were $79 ea, no thank you.The crowd was very subdued during the Clipper game which tells me one thing - they were not Hawks fans but rather Blake and Paul fans (there are no Clipper Fans in the ATL). Hope they enjoyed the butt whupping. They are just front runner fans for teams with stars.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Wasn't attacking people. Finances aren't good for me eitherBoycotting sports to lower prices is like boycotting gas stations...sounds good and theory is possible but not going to stop 1,000 of people from going to sporting events. Check out scalping prices for sec championship and national championship. College sports are worse than nba because the athletes don't get the million dollar exchange. Education yes BUT the universities make millions! Not looking to start that argument just using it as comparison

• Premium Member

When I checked, I saw tickets less than five for the Magic game. I was back in town but I couldn't find anybody that wanted to go to the game with me.That is another problem with our attendance. There aren't many Hawks fans. We have people in Atlanta that lived two months in Boston when they were two that love the Celtics (and so on with teams like the Bulls, Lakers, Miami, etc). The city is full of people that just don't care about ATL and the sports teams in the city. I always ask these people "if Boston is the best city ever, why are you down here" and typically get some odd response.

• Like 1

5 - 10 games a year, plus playoffs . . driving 4.5 hours from Middle TN. I try to make it to at least one game a month, although I will fail to see them this month. I was actually in Atlanta on Saturday night, but didn't get into the city until 9 PM. I don't get a chance to listen to Steve Holman often ( Hawks radio play by play guy ), but I got a chance to listen to him on Saturday night as I was driving to ATL. That dude is hilarious when he's on a roll. He was clowning the Clips all night, and making the point that the national media would play the "Clippers were playing on back to back nights" card, as to why they played so badly vs the Hawks. He also pointed out that we also played on back to back nights, so that excuse doesn't fly.As for the fan base, the casual fan in ATL cares nothing about winning. They want to be ENTERTAINED more than they want to see a winner. Only the hardcore fans prefer a winning product over an entertaining one.That's why most fans in ATL loved Jamal Crawford more than they did Joe Johnson. Johnson was obviously the better player, but Jamal was the more entertaining one. The "tricky dribble" always brought out the "ooohs" and "ahhhs" in the Philips Arena crowd. ISO ball was boring, even if it was more efficient.The Hawks won 34 home games in 2010 . . 2nd most in franchise history. And some of those games were dramatic. And even that didn't bring the fans out on a consistent basis. It is what it is in ATL.The die hard sports fans in the city HATE being called a "bad sports town", but will give you a laundry list of reasons as to why the ATL sports scene, especially when it concerns the Hawks, is what it is.Meanwhile, the casual fan could care less who wins, just as long as they get to see the exciting player that they paid their money to see. And if the Hawks happen to play well, maybe they will cheer for the Hawks in the 2nd half. They came to see Blake and Paul. And when they didn't wow them, they're like . . . "OK, I'll cheer for the Hawks now".

• Like 1

5 - 10 games a year, plus playoffs . . driving 4.5 hours from Middle TN. I try to make it to at least one game a month, although I will fail to see them this month. I was actually in Atlanta on Saturday night, but didn't get into the city until 9 PM. I don't get a chance to listen to Steve Holman often ( Hawks radio play by play guy ), but I got a chance to listen to him on Saturday night as I was driving to ATL. That dude is hilarious when he's on a roll. He was clowning the Clips all night, and making the point that the national media would play the "Clippers were playing on back to back nights" card, as to why they played so badly vs the Hawks. He also pointed out that we also played on back to back nights, so that excuse doesn't fly.As for the fan base, the casual fan in ATL cares nothing about winning. They want to be ENTERTAINED more than they want to see a winner. Only the hardcore fans prefer a winning product over an entertaining one.That's why most fans in ATL loved Jamal Crawford more than they did Joe Johnson. Johnson was obviously the better player, but Jamal was the more entertaining one. The "tricky dribble" always brought out the "ooohs" and "ahhhs" in the Philips Arena crowd. ISO ball was boring, even if it was more efficient.The Hawks won 34 home games in 2010 . . 2nd most in franchise history. And some of those games were dramatic. And even that didn't bring the fans out on a consistent basis. It is what it is in ATL.The die hard sports fans in the city HATE being called a "bad sports town", but will give you a laundry list of reasons as to why the ATL sports scene, especially when it concerns the Hawks, is what it is.Meanwhile, the casual fan could care less who wins, just as long as they get to see the exciting player that they paid their money to see. And if the Hawks happen to play well, maybe they will cheer for the Hawks in the 2nd half. They came to see Blake and Paul. And when they didn't wow them, they're like . . . "OK, I'll cheer for the Hawks now".