• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is it me or is Teague just not a good defender

capstone21

• Admin

He use to be but that has seemed to change.Point guards just blow by him at will....tonight was no different as Vasquez was going by him to the basket and going by him without a challenge.He does not stay in front of his man.I wonder if it is his improved offense and playmaking that has taken away from his d but he really needs to improve it.

• Like 2

I have always noticed the person he is guarding gets by him easy, but its becoming way more noticable this year. He used to would be able to get up and block the ball from behind once he got burnt. Im just not seeing any urgency in him lately. It happens once in a blue moon where he seems to play good. CP3. Make your way here.

• Premium Member

I have always noticed the person he is guarding gets by him easy, but its becoming way more noticable this year. He used to would be able to get up and block the ball from behind once he got burnt. Im just not seeing any urgency in him lately. It happens once in a blue moon where he seems to play good. CP3. Make your way here.

Why would CP3 leave the Clipps. They just went undefeated for the month of December. Get new dreams.

Right. Lets get rid of the CP3 wishes. Never gonna happen. Back to the original topic, I don't think Teague is a good defender. I believe by choice... Dude is a freak athletically. There's nobody faster in the open court than him... And he's strong and big for a PG. it's a mindset for him. It's obviously a choice that he works harder offensively.

Looks like more responsibility on offense causes some slippage on defense. Under Woody he would play defense with purpose and obviously has the tools to be a good defender.

This is one of the reasons I wouldn't be opposed going into a new direction if a free agent/trade were presented to us.

Why would CP3 leave the Clipps. They just went undefeated for the month of December. Get new dreams.

Haha I realize this. Cant hurt to dream.

• Moderators

When we played Denver and Lawson put up 32 on Teague, I was watching the Denver feed of the game and I believe their announcers put it the best on the issue. With the PG position evolving into another scorer on the floor and with the pure speed that these guys already have, there isn't a single PG in the league that can successfully guard or "shutdown" another PG. Think about it... Chris Paul who leads the league in steals and is arguably the best PG defensively still has an OPER right around 13 which means guys are still having success against him (Teague oPER is 17.6 currently). Teague blows by guys too. Even Will Bynum, the Pistons backup PG, is having success because he attacks the hoop with speed. Kyle Lowery, Ricky Rubio, and Derrick Rose are other guys to consider. PG's aren't guys that just set up the offense, get a boatload of assists, and only score late in the shot clock anymore and most PG get their steals in either zone D or during help. The Hawks are one of the better teams in forcing TO's, but how many of those TO's was a 1-on-1 pure strip and steal of a guy? Maybe 4 or 5 with most coming due double teams, help-side defense, and being unforced.

• Admin

When we played Denver and Lawson put up 32 on Teague, I was watching the Denver feed of the game and I believe their announcers put it the best on the issue. With the PG position evolving into another scorer on the floor and with the pure speed that these guys already have, there isn't a single PG in the league that can successfully guard or "shutdown" another PG. Think about it... Chris Paul who leads the league in steals and is arguably the best PG defensively still has an OPER right around 13 which means guys are still having success against him (Teague oPER is 17.6 currently). Teague blows by guys too. Even Will Bynum, the Pistons backup PG, is having success because he attacks the hoop with speed. Kyle Lowery, Ricky Rubio, and Derrick Rose are other guys to consider. PG's aren't guys that just set up the offense, get a boatload of assists, and only score late in the shot clock anymore and most PG get their steals in either zone D or during help. The Hawks are one of the better teams in forcing TO's, but how many of those TO's was a 1-on-1 pure strip and steal of a guy? Maybe 4 or 5 with most coming due double teams, help-side defense, and being unforced.

Paul stays in front of his man...no you are not going to shut another man down but at least make an effort to prevent the basket. Teague last night was not even remotely doing that.

Yea he sucks on defense. Alot of point guards go off on him I can understand if they are elite but even mediocre ones are going off on him...

Mario chalmers

Ty lawson

Jannero pargo

Will bynum

Even jeremy lin

His Bad D shouldnt be excused because of his offense because he is inconsistent. There are too many games where he doesnt do a damn thing on either end.

He's still putting it together because he's young. Offensively, anyway. He's gonna be a little inconsistent.

Defensively, he has been pretty bad, and I think it's mostly a mental thing. Nobody's gonna shut down Rose or Westbrook, but guys Rondo, Rubio and Holliday all put a good fight (Westbrook does too, for that matter). Teague hasn't been great.

It doesn't help that every one of his fellow perimeter defenders is tiny as well.

I've never been a big JT fan, but was encouraged by his development. But the bottom line is that he just doesn't have "it". Meaning he seems to lack the desire/drive to be dominant. He backs down from challenges way too easily and seems way too content to just be one of the guys. In sum, he's not a leader and that is his primary problem.

• Moderators

I really think that we need one of the following in relation to this debate over Teague's defense:

[*]A super long post from campster with multiple links to various sources backing up his position and forcing Niremetal to counter his argument with an even longer post and possibly more sources.

[*]

[*]A very detailed post with tons of stats and some sort of NTDI by Northcyde.

[*]

[*]Some type of humorous du Jour fully explaining the situation by LethalWeapon5

[*]

[*]A post by Hotlanta that is short and to the point and says that Teague sucks

[*]

[*]A trade thread (posted in the wrong forum) by Diesel where he deals Teague for Brendan Haywood or some other player he's lusted after for many years.

[*]

[*]A post by Pbird where he talks about how Teague's defense is directly related to Deshawn Stevenson or the fact that LD is an idiot who won't play the big lineup.

[*]

[*]A scrub vid from the scrub master showing what a scrub Teague is.

[*]

[*]A sarcastic post by Dolfan that adds nothing to this thread [check]

[*]

[*]Any others that I'm missing?

[*]

Me liking your post and adding another post that adds nothing to the thread?

• Like 1

I really think that we need one of the following in relation to this debate over Teague's defense:

[*]A super long post from campster with multiple links to various sources backing up his position and forcing Niremetal to counter his argument with an even longer post and possibly more sources.

[*]A very detailed post with tons of stats and some sort of NTDI by Northcyde.

[*]Some type of humorous du Jour fully explaining the situation by LethalWeapon5

[*]A post by Hotlanta that is short and to the point and says that Teague sucks

[*]A trade thread (posted in the wrong forum) by Diesel where he deals Teague for Brendan Haywood or some other player he's lusted after for many years.

[*]A post by Pbird where he talks about how Teague's defense is directly related to Deshawn Stevenson or the fact that LD is an idiot who won't play the big lineup.

[*]A scrub vid from the scrub master showing what a scrub Teague is.

[*]A sarcastic post by Dolfan that adds nothing to this thread [check]

[*]Any others that I'm missing?

Nice!! Love that... Or something that Buckeye has freaking Joey Votto as my avatar cuz I'm too lazy to change it...
  • Like 1

Anybody think that Lou in the starting line-up is affecting Teague on offense. Lou handles the ball alot so Teague doesn't have the ball in his hads as much as when Stephenson or even Devin starts. Let the PG run the team.

Honestly I don't like Lou in the role of starting shooting guard. He is undersized and is best used as a spark plug off the bench. He has been putting up excellent numbers but we suddenly have a tiny backcourt.

I don't like it either and I wonder how his numbers and effeciency will change if he now becomes a starter.