• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Peachtree Hoops : All-star roster outlook not good for Hawks

ATLscrubLove

They eliminated the center position, Lin might start. I don't care anymore. Guys like Wally Sczerbiak and Jameer Nelson can boast about making it yet guys like Josh can't. No rhyme or reason to it whatsoever. Paul Pierce should forfeit if he's selected. He's been nothing but an ugly three ball shooting bum.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

AS weekend is getting more and more silly each year. I wouldn't mind if none of them are selected, BUT i'd really like to see J3nk and/or Korv3r in the 3-pt shooting contest.

Also, if Josh doesn't get a call, we can expect him to explode for the rest of the regular season. that could be a blessing in disguise.

Edited by BrazilianHawk

• Moderators

it would be ashame if the Celtics have 2 or 3 allstars , if they still have a losing record at the end of the month. Currently they are 14-17

Remember when pp whined that Joe was selected over Ray Allen when Joe was on a 'bad' team. See if he still feels the same now.

Edited by macdaddy
  • Like 1

• Admin

They need to get rid of fan voting. Fan voting messes up everything. Maybe they should let the coaches choose first then have the fans vote for the remaining spots.

Its a fan game....the All Star Game is for the fans and supposed to be who the fans want to see play so that is why the voting is there.We will get one or two if we keep the record up. Either Josh and/or Al will get in.

• Admin

Honestly, I don't even care about the all star game (I do like the skills game except for the dunk which is usually boring because it is a bunch of nobodys missing dunk after dunk).I don't bother to watch it and I am usually glad when the guys don't get in because they get extra rest and also they play with a chip on their shoulder the rest of the season.

No one cares about the game itself but it's interesting to see who the coaches think consider "the best of the rest". People like Jameer Nelson, Josh Howard, Devin Harris, and Mo Williams got in but Josh Can't? Josh has been constant ever since his 3rd season. He done it for 7 strait seasons(including this year).

Players put making an allstar game as a personal goal they want to achieve. Doesn't mean they put that over team success. It's just something they work hard to try to do.

Chandler, Horford, Smith, Bosh, James, Anthony............sounds like the 5 front court all stars to me. They also play for the 3 best teams. Especially if the Celtics stay in 9th place with the Hawks in 3rd. Pierce and KG just aren't winning anymore. Noah is probably in the conversation. Maybe Wallace. Who am I forgetting as front court guys ? Is George playing more sf now with Granger hurt ?

• Moderators

Its a fan game....the All Star Game is for the fans and supposed to be who the fans want to see play so that is why the voting is there.We will get one or two if we keep the record up. Either Josh and/or Al will get in.

I agree. Let the fans vote in who they want. The All-NBA teams are more meaningful and this is a 'for fun' game for the fans. If the coaches select Paul Pierce, etc. I will have a much bigger issue.

Watching Josh and Al every night makes me question the overall talent in the NBA if they are all-stars but if we are top 4 in the East before voting ends we are getting atleast one guy in and it will probably be the guy with the best per and that will likely be Al.

From the peachtreehoops.com article: Before you get excited about the lack of WOW on that list, consider that maybe 60 percent (3/5) of the 13 man roster will be front court players Can somebody confirm with a link that the NBA is selecting 13 guys for each side, instead of 12? I thought that there was talk about a 13th roster spot being added, but I'm not sure if they did it or not. And through my searches, I can't find anything that says that 13 guys will be selected for each East and West All-Star team. That 13th roster spot could be huge for Josh or Al, if that's the case. Having said that, I basically laid all of this out in this post last week, when one of you guys said that Smith looks like he'll be making the All-Star team. http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/375196-looks-like-smoove-could-be-making-the-all-star-team/?p=591154 The guy I forgot though, was Brook Lopez. Like I said in that previous post, only 4 guards out of the East truly deserve to make it. You could easily argue for 8 frontcourt players out of the East to make it, with a guy like Lebron having the ability to play guard on that team if need be. The Hawks need someone to overtake Garnett in that fan balloting. Under the old system, he would already be out of the running, and a guy like Horford would have as good of a shot as anybody to get that center spot. The new system definitely hurts Horford in that aspect. Unless the Celtics get red hot in January, I can't see many coaches voting Garnett in. So the only way he's getting in is via the fan vote. As for Josh, he blew his All-Star chance last year with that horrible middle/end of January he had. This year, he needs to not only be consistently good, but play well vs the East teams. The wild card is definitely Brooklyn though. They have a guy that probably deserves to make it ( Brook Lopez ), and their struggling backcourt could make a late run at roster spots, if they get hot ( Deron and JJ ). Larry Drew doesn't need to vote for any of the top frontcourt guys who could take a roster spot from his guys, since he can't vote for his own players. That also means to not vote for Brooklyn players. So if that means that Drew's ballot looks like this: - Horford - Smith - Bosh - Irving - Holliday - Ellis - K. Walker Then so be it.

Edited by northcyde

Watching Josh and Al every night makes me question the overall talent in the NBA if they are all-stars but if we are top 4 in the East before voting ends we are getting atleast one guy in and it will probably be the guy with the best per and that will likely be Al.

The frontcourt talent is the East is very weak.

From the peachtreehoops.com article:Before you get excited about the lack of WOW on that list, consider that maybe 60 percent (3/5) of the 13 man roster will be front court playersThe Hawks need someone to overtake Garnett in that fan balloting. Under the old system, he would already be out of the running, and a guy like Horford would have as good of a shot as anybody to get that center spot. The new system definitely hurts Horford in that aspect. Unless the Celtics get red hot in January, I can't see many coaches voting Garnett in. So the only way he's getting in is via the fan vote.The wild card is definitely Brooklyn though. They have a guy that probably deserves to make it ( Brook Lopez ), and their struggling backcourt could make a late run at roster spots, if they get hot ( Deron and JJ ).

Great point on KG. I'm shocked his is in 3rd place for all frontcourt players in the East. No way the coaches vote him but the fans could. Bosh is currently 28,000 votes behind him.

If there are no articles written on the addition of a 13th allstar roster spot then it probably never happened.

Strongly disagree on Lopes making an allstar team. Especially considering his missed time with injury. I do think both D. Williams and JJ makes it as guards b/c the East is so weak.

I hope it does not turn out like this

Fan vote for starters

Rondo

Wade

James

Anthony

KG (due to fans)

7 player bench

Players fighting for coaches vote: - D. Williams, K. Irving, Holliday, J. Johnson, P. Pierce, L. Deng, C. Bosh, J. Smith, Horford, T. Chandler, Noah.................and some may think B. Lopez though I don't think coaches respect him enough to put him in after being hurt som much and so weak with defense and rebounding.

Do coaches respect guys like Deng, Chandler, and Noah more then J. Smith ? Time will tell.

Edited by coachx

Josh will need to have a really big Jan. This is a fairly big month.

-Boston twice

-SA

-Chicago

-New York

-Brooklyn twice

-Utah

And Minny is no sure bet either.

March is really tough

-LA twice

-Denver

-Miami

-Boston twice

-Brooklyn

-Indiana

Boy, this 2nd half schedule is going to be a lot tougher. I'll be shocked if this team ends the regular season as a top 3 seed.

Great point on KG. I'm shocked his is in 3rd place for all frontcourt players in the East. No way the coaches vote him but the fans could. Bosh is currently 28,000 votes behind him. If there are no articles written on the addition of a 13th allstar roster spot then it probably never happened. Strongly disagree on Lopes making an allstar team. Especially considering his missed time with injury. I do think both D. Williams and JJ makes it as guards b/c the East is so weak. I hope it does not turn out like this Fan vote for startersRondoWadeJamesAnthonyKG (due to fans) 7 player benchPlayers fighting for coaches vote: - D. Williams, K. Irving, Holliday, J. Johnson, P. Pierce, L. Deng, C. Bosh, J. Smith, Horford, T. Chandler, Noah.................and some may think B. Lopez though I don't think coaches respect him enough to put him in after being hurt som much and so weak with defense and rebounding. Do coaches respect guys like Deng, Chandler, and Noah more then J. Smith ? Time will tell.

Nah coachx . . you have to add Lopez into that conversation. He's arguably been playing the best ball in Brooklyn18.6 ppg7.2 rebs2.2 blks52% FG71% FTHe's played in 25 games so far this year, with that total being over 35 games by the time the coaches have to submit their picks. The selection of Josh or Al or Lopez will come down to how each of those guys play this month.