• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Time for the Hawks to gamble on Rudy Gay...

wolvetigers

Rudy Gay is under contract for 36 mil for two years which is steep but it comes off the books in 2015, now that can be insurance just in case Josh Smith comes up with an astronomical salary request...It maybe something worth considering. It gives us a more athletic team that could possibly compete for the 2nd seed in the East....Yes I said it...THE SECOND SEED...Would that be worth the price for expiring contracts and extra salary?

Say we trade

Devin Harris,

Anthony Morrow

PG- Teague

SG- Williams / Jenkins

SF- Gay / Korver

PF- SMith

C- Horford / Zaza

• Premium Member

Rudy Gay is under contract for 36 mil for two years which is steep but it comes off the books in 2015, now that can be insurance just in case Josh Smith comes up with an astronomical salary request...It maybe something worth considering. It gives us a more athletic team that could possibly compete for the 2nd seed in the East....Yes I said it...THE SECOND SEED...Would that be worth the price for expiring contracts and extra salary? Say we tradeDevin Harris,Anthony Morrow PG- TeagueSG- Williams / JenkinsSF- Gay / KorverPF- SMithC- Horford / Zaza

The goal should be to win, not come in second place. No way should the Hawks go after Rudy Gay. There's a reason Memphis is reportedly shopping him. If the Hawks ever want to overcome the Heat, they'll have to become a team that can take advantage of the Heat inside as the Bulls did last night. Getting Rudy Gay doesn't accomplish that.
  • Like 2

Well improve defense/scoring at the SF spot would help my the Hawks more competitive...and would give the Hawks the opportunity to compete in those top flight games.....Let's be very clear short of getting a Dwight Howard the hawks will have to shore up other areas to be successful. Rudy Gay although overpaid does help defensive, rebounding and scoring from the SF. Of Course that would mean Josh would move to PF spot..but its something worth considering...

Edited by wolvetigers

Memphis isn't giving away Rudy Gay, at least not right now. They had a rough December ( ironically after we went down there and destroyed them defensively ). They've been a .500 ballclub since we put the smack down on them.Having said that, the team still has Championship aspirations, and will not just GIVE Rudy Gay away before the trade deadline. Now if that team crash and burns in the playoffs, and Rudy doesn't play well, that's when you'll see the market open up for Rudy from a "giveaway" standpoint. But by then, the Hawks couldn't use expiring their expiring contracts to get him.Now this could change if Memphis really struggle in January. And their schedule this month is NOT easy ( @ GS, @ SA, @ DAL, @ OKC, @ CHI, @ PHI . . home vs SA, BKN, LAC, LAL, IND ). And even the 4 other games aren't exactly cupcake type games ( play the Kings twice, @ PHX, vs NO ).That team will prove if they belong amongst the elite this month.

Memphis isn't giving away Rudy Gay, at least not right now. They had a rough December ( ironically after we went down there and destroyed them defensively ). They've been a .500 ballclub since we put the smack down on them.Having said that, the team still has Championship aspirations, and will not just GIVE Rudy Gay away before the trade deadline. Now if that team crash and burns in the playoffs, and Rudy doesn't play well, that's when you'll see the market open up for Rudy from a "giveaway" standpoint. But by then, the Hawks couldn't use expiring their expiring contracts to get him.Now this could change if Memphis really struggle in January. And their schedule this month is NOT easy ( @ GS, @ SA, @ DAL, @ OKC, @ CHI, @ PHI . . home vs SA, BKN, LAC, LAL, IND ). And even the 4 other games aren't exactly cupcake type games ( play the Kings twice, @ PHX, vs NO ).That team will prove if they belong amongst the elite this month.

I actually disagree....Memphis won without Gay and they are still on the books for 36mill - so just like the Grantland article mention their greatest need is outside shooting that could help Gasol, and Randolph operate easily in the paint...Memphis would probably go for some good expiring contracts if they are shooters...However, the ATL should not give up any 1st round picks...esp with this draft coming up

I actually disagree....Memphis won without Gay and they are still on the books for 36mill - so just like the Grantland article mention their greatest need is outside shooting that could help Gasol, and Randolph operate easily in the paint...Memphis would probably go for some good expiring contracts if they are shooters...However, the ATL should not give up any 1st round picks...esp with this draft coming up

The year that Memphis pushed OKC to 7 games in the WC Semis, they were DEAD LAST in 3 point makes and 27th in 3 point %. The strength of that team ( without Rudy ), was that Zach Randolph was playing like a top 15 player in the league, and they could lock you down defensively. And in the playoffs, he was playing like a top 10 player. Spot Up shooters like Korver and Morrow are not going to significantly help that team, because Conley isn't exactly a wizard when it comes to creating shots. On every team, you need a guy that has the ability to take and make tough shots. Trading Rudy for shooters doesn't achieve this because Memphis isn't a assist generating team ( and never has been ). Let the people, players, and coaches in Memphis . . Rudy isn't the problem . . . this is the problem. http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2013/jan/02/griz-must-pick-up-the-pace-to-be-successful-in/

Are there statistics that show the Hawks biggest need is to bring in another SF?

Sure...Conventional wisdom we should get a Big Man that can rebound, score in the post and...move Horford to PF, Smith to the SF....Unfortunately, those Big men are extremely hard to find.

Rudy Gay shoots 80% from the free throw line, 6 rbs, and 3 ast per game in addition to his 18pts. Now what stands out is the rebounds and the FT percentage...This lineup essential gives the Hawks more size on the perimeter and would also give us a player that can get to the free throw line.

Now don't get me wrong - Rudy Gay is not a Super Star and sure we would have people asking why is this different from having a Joe Johnson...but having a player that can help defend on the perimeter, drive to the basket and MAKE FREE Throws, and Rebound would be good for the Hawks...

The year that Memphis pushed OKC to 7 games in the WC Semis, they were DEAD LAST in 3 point makes and 27th in 3 point %. The strength of that team ( without Rudy ), was that Zach Randolph was playing like a top 15 player in the league, and they could lock you down defensively. And in the playoffs, he was playing like a top 10 player. Spot Up shooters like Korver and Morrow are not going to significantly help that team, because Conley isn't exactly a wizard when it comes to creating shots. On every team, you need a guy that has the ability to take and make tough shots. Trading Rudy for shooters doesn't achieve this because Memphis isn't a assist generating team ( and never has been ). Let the people, players, and coaches in Memphis . . Rudy isn't the problem . . . this is the problem. http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2013/jan/02/griz-must-pick-up-the-pace-to-be-successful-in/

Unfortunately for Memphis is they signed Gay to a pretty big contract and they tasted success without him in the playoffs...I do agree that depending how they play over the next 5 weeks will determine alot...

Let's face it...We have a ton of expiring contracts - We should take a risk by getting something for them and see what we can do as a team in the playoffs.

Unfortunately for Memphis is they signed Gay to a pretty big contract and they tasted success without him in the playoffs...I do agree that depending how they play over the next 5 weeks will determine alot... Let's face it...We have a ton of expiring contracts - We should take a risk by getting something for them and see what we can do as a team in the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong. I definitely want to flip some of these guys for a better impact type of player. And I wouldn't be against bringing in Rudy/Wroten for say a Harris/Korver/Morrow trade. An athletic freak like Rudy may sell well in ATL, although people would hate the trade at first.PG - Teague . . Williams . . . WrotenG - Stevenson . . JenkinsF - Rudy . . ( Stevenson/Smith )PF - Smith . . Ivan . . Tolliver . . ScottC - Horford . . Zaza . . PetroMay have to go out and get another backup PG or SF, even though we simply use Lou as a scoring PG on that 2nd team.I just disagree why and when Memphis would think about trading Rudy. Edited by northcyde

I think Ferry may look to the draft for backups going forward and just rely on Louis Williams and Teague until then..and I would Love to see Trey Burke come to ATL...and also one of bigs that are coming out this year could be serviceable for the Hawks

Edited by wolvetigers

• Premium Member

Sure...Conventional wisdom we should get a Big Man that can rebound, score in the post and...move Horford to PF, Smith to the SF....Unfortunately, those Big men are extremely hard to find. Rudy Gay shoots 80% from the free throw line, 6 rbs, and 3 ast per game in addition to his 18pts. Now what stands out is the rebounds and the FT percentage...This lineup essential gives the Hawks more size on the perimeter and would also give us a player that can get to the free throw line. Now don't get me wrong - Rudy Gay is not a Super Star and sure we would have people asking why is this different from having a Joe Johnson...but having a player that can help defend on the perimeter, drive to the basket and MAKE FREE Throws, and Rebound would be good for the Hawks...

I was asking for numbers that specifically show the Hawks are deficient at the SF. Rudy's numbers are nice, but adding yet another forward is not going to solve the Hawks rebounding problems and it still renders the Hawks undersized. But my opinion doesn't count for much lol. Ferry's does and if his recent history is any indication, I don't think he's going to commit BIG money to a small forward not named LeBron.

Well the answer to this questions depends solely on what do you characterize Josh SMith...according to ESPN he is a SF and Horford is a Center - so if you buy that assessment then we are deficient at PF spot. You have to think outside the box - the NBA does not have those establish positions anymore...I know Billy Knight is not popular for passing up on Paul, Deron, but his concept of having an athletic / versatile team of wing players actually has some merit, and where the NBA is going. I'm not saying we dont need to rebound, but we definitely need to be able to defend multiple positions...and acquiring Rudy Gay actually gives us some insurance if Smith Demands too much money..

I was asking for numbers that specifically show the Hawks are deficient at the SF. Rudy's numbers are nice, but adding yet another forward is not going to solve the Hawks rebounding problems and it still renders the Hawks undersized. But my opinion doesn't count for much lol. Ferry's does and if his recent history is any indication, I don't think he's going to commit BIG money to a small forward not named LeBron.

Here you go http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/teamstats/13/8/diffeff/1-1

According to hoopsstats.com, here are how the Hawks rank in NBA Efficiency Differential at each positionPG - 23rdSG - 7thSF - 24thPF - 13thC - 2ndTake that how you want it.
  • Like 1