• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

So RIGHT NOW and for the FUTURE which player is a smarter choice for the Hawks? Rudy or Josh?

JTB

I would like to hear your pro's and cons of Rudy Gay, and see how you came up with Rudy betting a better fit. That being said, if we did get a legitimate then Smoove will be needed here. He would be the perfect fit with a superstar. I'm all down for trading whoever if the deal is nice, but that being said, if we did get a superstar, I would rather trade Al.

Or keep Smoove/Horford and make a run for a legit C.

Edited by AHawks89

Im just thinking here Squawkers.....One of these two men are going to have a huge contract!...well one already has one!

Answer this for me (Question is in Red)...........

YOU know that Rudy Gay is being shopped around and that his contract is pretty DAMN BIG for what he puts out statically

BUT

YOU also know that Josh Smith is up for a major contract come this off season and he will get one if it isnt from us

Knowing the above....who will fit with Horford better? Better question who's worth the money Josh or Rudy? Who's the long fix for our team? whos worth their contract more?

TO ANSWER MY QUESTION IN RED

I say it is smarter to go ahead and trade for Rudy Gay, let smith go and pick up the center from the T'Wolves (cant spell his name and too lazy to look it up!LOL) or sign AL Jefferson

I mean I like Josh but if we made a list of pros and cons Smith would get beat by Rudy Gay! AND again I like Smith but DUMB play from Smith isnt a good long term thing for the Hawks! I think Ferry knows this!

*I ask this because it wouldnt shock me if a team gave Smith a 75 or even 80 million dollar deal! Mark Cuban has money to do whatever he wants and Houston will damn near do anything to get the talent and pair josh with Harden! Its up to the hawks to match it!

DO ME A FAVOR BEFORE YOU RESPOND:

BE TRUTHFUL AND MAKE A PROS AND CONS LIST BETWEEN SMITH AND RUDY THEN RESPOND

Edited by JTB

If the plan is to trade Josh for Rudy . . then add Al Jefferson via free agency ( who will also command somewhere between Al money to MAX money ) . . I could be on board for that.New Frontline would beC - JeffersonPF - HorfordF - RudyThat'll be about a 45 million dollar frontline though.With that frontline, we may need an upgrade at PG. Maybe a more playmaking type of PG. With Teague being a restricted Free Agent, maybe the Hawks look at all options at PG before committing to Teague for the long haul.

Okay Lets do this from the Rudy Gay point of view.

4.5 million more expensive

4.5% worse FG%

4.2% worse 3pt FG%

2.6 less rebounds

1.2 less assists

1.6 less blocks

Rudy wins FT%

Shots taken

So a hamstringing contract, poorer efficiency and doesn't answer our number one concern which is rebounding/inside play.

If the plan is to trade Josh for Rudy . . then add Al Jefferson via free agency ( who will also command somewhere between Al money to MAX money ) . . I could be on board for that.New Frontline would beC - JeffersonPF - HorfordF - RudyThat'll be about a 45 million dollar frontline though.With that frontline, we may need an upgrade at PG. Maybe a more playmaking type of PG. With Teague being a restricted Free Agent, maybe the Hawks look at all options at PG before committing to Teague for the long haul.

you can't add Al Jefferson in Free Agency. With Cap Holds, Lou/Deshawn/Teague/Jenkins salaries.

Okay Lets do this from the Rudy Gay point of view. 4.5 million more expensive 4.5% worse FG%4.2% worse 3pt FG%2.6 less rebounds1.2 less assists1.6 less blocks Rudy wins FT%Shots taken So a hamstringing contract, poorer efficiency and doesn't answer our number one concern which is rebounding/inside play. you can't add Al Jefferson in Free Agency. With Cap Holds, Lou/Deshawn/Teague/Jenkins salaries.

Ummm . . you renounce their rights ( except Lou and Teague ) and make the room.Guaranteed salariesRudy - 17.9 millHorford - 12 millLou - 5.2 millJenkins - 1.25 mill2 first round picks - roughly 2.5 mill? ( depending on where Hawks/Nets and the Rockets finish )Total: roughly 38.75 millKeep Teague's hold at 6.1 mill and Ivan's at 1.25 millRenounce everyone at season's end and set them free.Hawks would have roughly 46 million in holds. Salary cap will be between 58 - 60 mill. Sign Jefferson at 11 - 13 mill per year. Fill out the rest of the team with scrubs.PG . . . Teague - MLE level PG - vet minimum guyG . . . Williams - Jenkins - vet minimum guyF . . . Rudy - 1st round pickPF . . . Horford - Ivan - 2nd round pickC . . . Jefferson -1st round pick - vet minimum guyThe fact is that it's going to cost about 16 million to keep both Josh and Zaza anyway. So go get a guy who can adequately play both C and PF at a high level if need be, in Jefferson.

And your Rudy for Josh swap isn't as easy as an across the board trade of players.Adding Rudy to the Hawks would balance out the Hawks, because Zaza would move to C and Horford to PF. And Korver may even move to 2 guard or come off the bench ( where he probably should be ).Zaza + Horford + Rudy is a better rebounding frontline than Horford + Smith + Korver

Ummm . . you renounce their rights ( except Lou and Teague ) and make the room.Guaranteed salariesRudy - 17.9 millHorford - 12 millLou - 5.2 millJenkins - 1.25 mill2 first round picks - roughly 2.5 mill? ( depending on where Hawks/Nets and the Rockets finish )Total: roughly 38.75 millKeep Teague's hold at 6.1 mill and Ivan's at 1.25 millRenounce everyone at season's end and set them free.Hawks would have roughly 46 million in holds. Salary cap will be between 58 - 60 mill. Sign Jefferson at 11 - 13 mill per year. Fill out the rest of the team with scrubs.PG . . . Teague - MLE level PG - vet minimum guyG . . . Williams - Jenkins - vet minimum guyF . . . Rudy - 1st round pickPF . . . Horford - Ivan - 2nd round pickC . . . Jefferson -1st round pick - vet minimum guyThe fact is that it's going to cost about 16 million to keep both Josh and Zaza anyway. So go get a guy who can adequately play both C and PF at a high level if need be, in Jefferson.

Well said.

The only way I trade Smith for Gay is if the bigger picture plan is then to add a piece like Cousins or Jefferson to add size and talent to the front court.

Edited by coachx

Well i like Rudy Gay, but he only works with a playmaking floor leader at the PG position. I'm beginning to lose faith in Teague. But why not just trade Smith + filler for Kevin Love.

C- Kevin Love / Zaza

PF- Horford / Ivan

SF- Gay / (draft pick)

SG- Williams / Jenkins

PG - Teague / Trey Burke (Draft Pick)

Well i like Rudy Gay, but he only works with a playmaking floor leader at the PG position. I'm beginning to lose faith in Teague. But why not just trade Smith + filler for Kevin Love.

C- Kevin Love / Zaza

PF- Horford / Ivan

SF- Gay / (draft pick)

SG- Williams / Jenkins

PG - Teague / Trey Burke (Draft Pick)

I would do that too..........but don't think the T-Wolves would even with Kevin Love having a broken finger. I mean what are the chances of Josh Smith signing long term with Minnesota ? I think he would be on the first plane to Dallas when the season ended.

• Moderators

Josh without a doubt. Josh will sign with for less than the $18 mil that Rudy stands to make next year. Also, without Josh here, we have 0 chance at getting the center that will bolster our team for the next four years in Dwight. Neither is winning us championship or even getting to the ECF, but Josh's pros outweigh his cons and Rudy's pros. Rudy would just put us back in the same boat that we were in with Joe. We need a center more than anything. Just look at the Hawks before and after they got Mutombo. Rudy would end up being just an overpaid Steve Smith.

Vet minimum holds for the empty slots moves it to 3 million less. It can't be done and Jefferson for 11-13 million is a stretch, more or less 8-10 million.

Vet minimum holds for the empty slots moves it to 3 million less. It can't be done and Jefferson for 11-13 million is a stretch, more or less 8-10 million.

Then no to Gay.

He is not worth losing our cap flexibility to add a legitimate big for.

After observing last night's game, Pekovich, their center,

sure would look good in a Hawks uniform.

Don't know if he is obtainable or not, but I hope we ask

about the possibility.

GO HAWKS!

• Premium Member

Josh without a doubt. Josh will sign with for less than the $18 mil that Rudy stands to make next year. Also, without Josh here, we have 0 chance at getting the center that will bolster our team for the next four years in Dwight. Neither is winning us championship or even getting to the ECF, but Josh's pros outweigh his cons and Rudy's pros. Rudy would just put us back in the same boat that we were in with Joe. We need a center more than anything. Just look at the Hawks before and after they got Mutombo. Rudy would end up being just an overpaid Steve Smith.

Agreed that Josh will sign for less. If nothing else, the new CBA will ensure this.We all know Ferry values Josh as a player. But some suggest the real reason he will not trade him is because he's after Dwight and others in the offseason. So the real question is...is it worth the risk? Does Ferry have real reason to believe that there's a LEGITIMATE shot at signing Dwight and/or others if Josh remains? I don't know, but I don't think Ferry is into taking that blind of a risk without cause.