• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Kings are coming to Seattle!

ag82

I know this isn't really homecourt news, but its huge nba news. The deal is finalizing right now, but it is definitely happening supposedly for the '13-'14 season. This is tough for me. Seattle Vs Atlanta this weekend in the playoffs and now I'm going to have to choose my nba allegiance.. http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/01/09/report-sacramento-kings-being-sold-to-seattle-based-group/

Edited by ag82

Sad day for Sacramento.NBA owners basically hold cities hostage, when they ask for a brand new arena ( to be paid for by the taxpayers ). So the people of the city have 2 choices . . . (1) say go (( bleep )) yourself and pay for your own arena . . or (2) bow down to the will of the owner, and give them whatever they want.Cities that choose (1) will almost always see their team move. Seattle did it 6 years ago, and you saw what happened to them. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, they're probably dancing in the streets, while Sacramento gets to villify its current ownership and Seattle itself.We'll see if New Orleans will be the next team to possibly court another city about a possible move. Virginia Beach and Kansas City want a team too.Not going to celebrate for Seattle, when Sacramento loses their team. Good for those of you in the Seattle area though.

I think this is a great move for the NBA. There is no doubt that Sacramento has some good fans. But I surely miss seeing the SuperSonics. And now we no for sure the Hawks will not be moving to Seattle haha! California has too many teams anyways and the Kings will not be able to compete with any of those teams for many many years down the road. But now on another note.. Will this mean that Sacramento will be open to moving many of their players?

• Like 1

Sad day for Sacramento.NBA owners basically hold cities hostage, when they ask for a brand new arena ( to be paid for by the taxpayers ). So the people of the city have 2 choices . . . (1) say go (( bleep )) yourself and pay for your own arena . . or (2) bow down to the will of the owner, and give them whatever they want.Cities that choose (1) will almost always see their team move. Seattle did it 6 years ago, and you saw what happened to them. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, they're probably dancing in the streets, while Sacramento gets to villify its current ownership and Seattle itself.We'll see if New Orleans will be the next team to possibly court another city about a possible move. Virginia Beach and Kansas City want a team too.Not going to celebrate for Seattle, when Sacramento loses their team. Good for those of you in the Seattle area though.

I am surprised the Las Vegas doesnt want a team? We all know that their have been inquiries from NFL teams possibly pursuing a move there but nothing has ever really been done about it. Las Vegas seems like it would be a great spot for a NFL or NBA team. Surely they would gain alot of attraction and probably sell out most of their games.

I am surprised the Las Vegas doesnt want a team? We all know that their have been inquiries from NFL teams possibly pursuing a move there but nothing has ever really been done about it. Las Vegas seems like it would be a great spot for a NFL or NBA team. Surely they would gain alot of attraction and probably sell out most of their games.

Las Vegas should have a team, I think the Clip show should be their team. Doesn't make any sense to play in the same arena as the Lakers.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I know I am apart of a select group here, but when the Thrashers were sold and moved out of town, it was a low day for me. Not that I actually cared for the Thrashers, but it was like Atlanta lost a child, albeit a red-headed stepchild... Feel bad for the city of Sacramento because they seriously do love their Kings. They cried on the last game before the lockout because the feeling was they were moving to Anaheim. I am happy that the Sonics are back, but sad that the Kings are gone. Wish the NBA would just expand to 32 teams like the NFL... Then they could give Seattle a new team and finally put a team in either St. Louis or Pittsburgh.

• Like 1

• Moderators

"THIS ISN'T FAIR!" ~Sacramento

"I KNOW, RIGHT?" ~Kansas City ~Cincinnati ~Rochester

At least that should quell talks of a Seattle AirHawks for little while.

If they keep the Kings name, can they bring back the back-jersey style when they move there (name below the numbers)?

~lw3

• Moderators

Exactly.

There is no way they don't go back to the Sonics name, right?

Hey, it IS King County, Washington. But yeah, they'd better bring back the colors and name or else it'll feel "awkward"!

Maybe they can at least promise to bring back the arch-design on the back-of-jerseys.

~lw3

• Premium Member

It's sad when a city loses a sports team. So, I feel sorry for their fans. But I'm happy that Seattle is getting a team back. That Green and Gold just seems to have a place in the NBA and it didn't feel right with them losing their team.

On the flip side of that, there are too many damn teams in California...with Anaheim trying to bring one more...smh.

Exactly.

There is no way they don't go back to the Sonics name, right?

I think one of the things when Seattle lost team was that OKC cudn't take name - so I think they will be Sonics.

Las Vegas should have a team, I think the Clip show should be their team. Doesn't make any sense to play in the same arena as the Lakers.

The Maloofs (former owners of the Kings) wanted to move the team to LV, but the NBA isn't going to allow a team to sit in a city that runs betting on pro teams. The other pro leagues have resisted this move as well. The gambling is just too much for them to stomach evidently.

From a demographic perspective, I don't know if LV could fully support an NBA team. They could a football team, but 41 dates, plus playoffs is a lot for a mid-sized city.Their median per capita income is relatively low as well (~$44K)

Anyone else notice how beyond the sale of the team itself, plus a promise of a new arena, the new owners will be paying over $100 mil for paying back Sactown for the old arena it was still paying on as well as relocation fees to the NBA and other fees.

Does that make any of you feel nervous given the Hawks owners past attempt to sell the team and the one thing that has kept them in town theoretically was the $120 mil bond that would be owed to the city. This shows that there is at least one group of new owners willing to pay those fees when they want a team bad enough. The Spirit have been quiet since DF came to town, and I know people can change their minds, but I don't believe they could just turn a complete 180 on a dime after coming inches away from dumping one team, especially since they've already done it once.