• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Stinger's statement last night

thecampster

Stinger made a statement last night and I didn't record the game so I can't get the exact quote. But what he basically said was

Josh getting all these blocks isn't necessarily a good thing. It means he's getting too many opportunities for blocks because our guards are getting taken off the dribble.

Defense starts on the perimeter, not at the basket. Stinger is very right here. Teams are getting to the rim too easy against us and the big guys are getting fouls, having to challenge shots and out of position for rebounds. I think he was more on target than he meant to be.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 4

• Moderators

Exactly. Everyone has been saying that our bigs and rebounding is the problem. That ain't the problem. The problem is the opposing guards are picking us apart. This is happening for several reasons. Lou/Korver/Harris/Morrow/Jenkins are all weak defenders. Teague has been in a funk and Deshawn's knees are gone. None of this is really surprising though. It's what we expected but then we got over confident with the early good play.

• Like 2

Stinger made a statement last night and I didn't record the game so I can't get the exact quote. But what he basically said was

Josh getting all these blocks isn't necessarily a good thing. It means he's getting too many opportunities for blocks because our guards are getting taken off the dribble.

Defense starts on the perimeter, not at the basket. Stinger is very right here. Teams are getting to the rim too easy against us and the big guys are getting fouls, having to challenge shots and out of position for rebounds. I think he was more on target than he meant to be.

Very true..........when Lou Williams plays heavy minutes at SG with Korver at SF the perimeter defense is horrible.

A Barnes, Petrius, Ariza, J. Taylor, type of role player would be nice......Stevenson fits the bill but only has limited minutes left in his body.

Harris is still a good defender when healthy.

Edited by coachx

Exactly. Everyone has been saying that our bigs and rebounding is the problem. That ain't the problem. The problem is the opposing guards are picking us apart. This is happening for several reasons. Lou/Korver/Harris/Morrow/Jenkins are all weak defenders. Teague has been in a funk and Deshawn's knees are gone. None of this is really surprising though. It's what we expected but then we got over confident with the early good play.

Our problem is also that we don't have a legit # 1 scoring option or a legitimate offensive post option to run our offense through and keep us out of long scoring droughts when the jumpers don't fall.

Our problem is also that we don't have a legit # 1 scoring option or a legitimate offensive post option to run our offense through and keep us out of long scoring droughts when the jumpers don't fall.

The lack of reliable post play from our "bigs" is starting to upset me. I would've though Al would have a nice little tool box down there by now. All he has is a mini screwdriver. Zaza does all he can, bless his heart. Josh is just Josh. I would've thought there'd be a big man mentor close to this team by now. Dikembe, Moses, Kevin Willis, Shareef, somebody, anybody. Edited by benhillboy

The lack of reliable post play from our "bigs" is starting to upset me. I would've though Al would have a nice little tool box down there by now. All he has is a mini screwdriver. Zaza does all he can, bless his heart. Josh is just Josh. I would've thought there'd be a big man mentor close to this team by now. Dikembe, Moses, Kevin Willis, Shareef, somebody, anybody.

I have compared Al Horfod to Antonio Davis since his rookie year. Both guys are naturally mechanical with their offensive post moves. They are just adequate in the low post b/c they are not fluid enough to be exceptional low post scorers. Both guys are physical specimens with ability to excel as undersized centers or as PF. Both guys have a god mid range game. both guys made a couple of allstar games as undersized centers.

At this point al Horford is what he is. Which is fine a player who smart and plays to his strengths. An offensive post anchor he is not.

I do agree Kevin Willis would be useful on the coaching staff. It seems he attended alot of games and worked with the team 3 or 4 years ago but I have not seen much of him as of late.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

I have compared Al Horfod to Antonio Davis since his rookie year. Both guys are naturally mechanical with their offensive post moves. They are just adequate in the low post b/c they are not fluid enough to be exceptional low post scorers. Both guys are physical specimens with ability to excel as undersized centers or as PF. Both guys have a god mid range game. both guys made a couple of allstar games as undersized centers.

At this point al Horford is what he is. Which is fine a player who smart and plays to his strengths. An offensive post anchor he is not.

I do agree Kevin Willis would be useful on the coaching staff. It seems he attended alot of games and worked with the team 3 or 4 years ago but I have not seen much of him as of late.

Willis is getting in shape to play.

There's an old advertising that fits the Hawks defense to a T!

"Help! I've fallen and can't get up!"

"That's his first 3 pointer for this season.

Another player, He's had 2 three point buckets until tonight. He's

hit 6 of them in the last 2 minutes. (Not that many. It just seems so.)

Another old saying - - "Our defense has gone to heck in a handbasket."

As bad as some of our shooting has been, Hawks are still scoring close

to their average - - - Not quiet, but close, I think.

So, why are we losing? Simple. We are allowing too many points to our

rivals - - - All of them.

I agree with Stinger.

And, our offense is soft - soft - soft. We can't draw a foul at all.

Hawks must be more aggressive on both ends of the court. Then, we win!

• Like 1

This was obvious over a month ago.