• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Danny Ferry interview this morning on 680 AM

coachx

• Premium Member

:D

This is the kind of thing that gets me excited. He's saying the right things here... The most important, and what's lifting my spirit is how he has acknowledged the long-term identity of the Hawks. I'm not too keen on him taking a whole season to evaluate the team, because anybody can look at us and see what the problem is. However, it makes a little more sense to me what he's doing. They're talking about changes for sure...and that's a good thing.

He mentioned there are alot of different routes Atlanta could choose to go in the future, with their cap flexibility, but soon they will have to start eliminating some routes

He's talking about getting out of the middle of the pack. He knows. :) If they are trying to build a real team, then the days of nickel and dime tweaking are over. Ultimately, if you're not a contender and you're not drafting talent...then you are doing nothing but wasting time. There are only so many routes to acquiring talent and you've got to pick one and move forward.

He's also not blind to what Josh is out there doing:

He mentioned every player on the team has strengths and weakness. He said they have to get back to playing to their strengths and avoid their weaknesses. He also mentioned the team must regain their focus to achieve this.

^^It may be disguised as a knock on the team in general, but that whole snippet is in regards to Josh.

All that just made my morning.

• Premium Member

I don't think Ferry's going to sacrifice much if any of his cap space for quick short term fixes and that appears to be a nice change from past times. What does or doesn't happen with Josh by the trade deadline will speak volumes about what "routes" are in play and which ones have been eliminated.

• Like 2

Posted Image

This is the kind of thing that gets me excited. He's saying the right things here... The most important, and what's lifting my spirit is how he has acknowledged the long-term identity of the Hawks. I'm not too keen on him taking a whole season to evaluate the team, because anybody can look at us and see what the problem is. However, it makes a little more sense to me what he's doing. They're talking about changes for sure...and that's a good thing.

He's talking about getting out of the middle of the pack. He knows. Posted Image If they are trying to build a real team, then the days of nickel and dime tweaking are over. Ultimately, if you're not a contender and you're not drafting talent...then you are doing nothing but wasting time. There are only so many routes to acquiring talent and you've got to pick one and move forward.

He's also not blind to what Josh is out there doing:

^^It may be disguised as a knock on the team in general, but that whole snippet is in regards to Josh.

All that just made my morning.

Personally I think this is you projecting. I think this was more in regards to Zaza, Korver, Lou than to Josh or Al.

I see Josh and Al as near superstars but not quite and never will be. A great comparison on this concept is Kukoc. In his day, people thought the big Croate could be a centerpiece. He wasn't, but he was a helluva Robin. He was almost enough to help Pippen and a Jordanless Bulls team win it all again. Josh and Al are that kind of player. You either need to surround them with 3 other solid players without glaring weaknesses or they need someone just a bit better than they are. JJ wasn't better, he was the same or a bit worse. Marvin was worse but they seemed to prop him up (we've seen Marvin regress in Utah).

I think Josh and Al help a great deal in hiding other people's weaknesses. What they need are either a superman (Dwight/Dirk/Paul etc) type to play with or they need a team of players not much worse than they are without glaring weaknesses . Neither is going to carry a team but both can cover for a team in stretches. I think this is what Ferry is getting at. Seeing how these weaknesses (Teague's turnovers in transition, Zaza's offensive fouls and stone hands, Ivan's missed assignments, Jenkins youth and slow reactions, Stevenson's cheating on D/taking plays off, Harris' health issues, Morrow's lack of size) all affect how Al and Josh must cover for them which is beyond their ability.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 1

I don't think Ferry's going to sacrifice much if any of his cap space for quick short term fixes and that appears to be a nice change from past times. What does or doesn't happen with Josh by the trade deadline will speak volumes about what "routes" are in play and which ones have been eliminated.

Agree.

IF Josh is moved...........and that is a big IF...........then I would assume it would be under 2 conditions:

1. Smith is moved for expiring contracts with perhaps a young player on cheap but longer contract and a 1st round draft pick (s).

2. A home-run type of deal surfaces with perhaps Rondo or even Cousins (as current names in the rumor mill).

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Personally I think this is you projecting. I think this was more in regards to Zaza, Korver, Lou than to Josh or Al.

I see Josh and Al as near superstars but not quite and never will be. A great comparison on this concept is Kukoc. In his day, people thought the big Croate could be a centerpiece. He wasn't, but he was a helluva Robin. He was almost enough to help Pippen and a Jordanless Bulls team win it all again. Josh and Al are that kind of player. You either need to surround them with 3 other solid players without glaring weaknesses or they need someone just a bit better than they are. JJ wasn't better, he was the same or a bit worse. Marvin was worse but they seemed to prop him up (we've seen Marvin regress in Utah).

I think Josh and Al help a great deal in hiding other people's weaknesses. What they need are either a superman (Dwight/Dirk/Paul etc) type to play with or they need a team of players not much worse than they are without glaring weaknesses . Neither is going to carry a team but both can cover for a team in stretches. I think this is what Ferry is getting at. Seeing how these weaknesses (Teague's turnovers in transition, Zaza's offensive fouls and stone hands, Ivan's missed assignments, Jenkins youth and slow reactions, Stevenson's cheating on D/taking plays off, Harris' health issues, Morrow's lack of size) all affect how Al and Josh must cover for them which is beyond their ability.

When dealing with public statements about players, you have to learn to read between the lines. So, by default, any opinion you have about what a GM says is going to be based in conjecture. But there's some things you can do to narrow down what a guy is really saying...

The core of this team is Josh, Al, Teague, and probably Lou. As they go...this team goes. When you're talking about a team that has to get back to it's winning ways, you're not talking about what ZaZa or Korver does. No, you just call those guys out individually. When you make sweeping statements like that, you're avoiding stepping on the toes of your bread winners - you're talking about your core. You're not really talking about the role players...else you say things like "our bench has to step up" and "our starters need support."

So let's break this down:

He mentioned every player on the team has strengths and weakness. He said they have to get back to playing to their strengths and avoid their weaknesses. He also mentioned the team must regain their focus to achieve this.

He is talking about our recent struggles. He mentioned every player, but not every player is the problem. We all know that. He's avoiding stepping on egos. He's talking about the core getting back to strengths and avoiding weaknesses...

Horford does the same thing night in and night out. He may not always show up, but he plays the same game. He doesn't try to do anything he can't do. He doesn't play away from his strengths. Same with Teague. What does he TRY to do? Drew may be forcing him to be more of a distributor, but that's on the coach. Turn Teague loose and he will constantly attack the basket or step back and shoot. Lou also plays the same game. Coach may start him or bring him off the bench, but again...that's not on the player.

THEY have to get back to playing to their strengths...means one person and that is Josh Smith.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I seriously think that when it is all said and done, Ferry will have a bronze outside of the Philips and be recognized as the greatest GM to grace the Hawks organization. I agree with what camp said about Horf and Smith as it pertains to them being great players to have in a supporting cast. They just need a guy that is better than them to lead the troops. Dwight isn't much of a leader, but if you could get a guy like a Avery Johnson or Jason Kidd (just a guy that knows how to lead, but maybe isn't gifted talent-wise) to play PG or SG, it could work. Or maybe or leader could be a strong HC. Rondo would be awesome, but he is signed through 2014/15 for right around $12 mil, so the only way get him is through trade which means Horf + 1st. Boston would shoot for Smith though because they want Dwight just as bad as every other team. Honestly, I'd rather have a dominating front court than a skilled back court. I would love to see Teague evolve into a leader, but as long as Smith believes it's his team, that won't happen. Also, like Joe, Teague's personality is passive and quiet... No such thing as a silent leader.

We also need a bigger guy to play SG. Maybe a 2/3 tweener like DeRozan (I'm a big fan of Demar) or George (not saying trade for them, but just someone like them). A lot of folks are focusing in on FAncy to build this team, but I think Danny will do a lot of his work through the draft. It looks like he did well with Jenkins/Scott. Also, I support the decision to not make any moves at the deadline. Just go into the offseason with a fresh slate and only Horf, Jenk, and Lou on the books. IFWT

• Premium Member

Agree. IF Josh is moved...........and that is a big IF...........then I would assume it would be under 2 conditions:1. Smith is moved for expiring contracts with perhaps a young player on cheap but longer contract and a 1st round draft pick (s). 2. A home-run type of deal surfaces with perhaps Rondo or even Cousins (as current names in the rumor mill).

Those are plausible scenarios, but I think there could be a chance that we see Al Horford and Jeff Teague involved in a deal to net a player that would be a building block, but also wouldn't kill the financial flexibility. Edited by Jody23

If we can get a superstar, then I'm hoping we can ship out Horford. Keeping Smoove would be the ideal thing to do. Ferry knows that, unless there is a trade that you can't deny. Ferry knows Josh is the best player on the Hawks by far, and brings much more to the table than anyone else.

Edited by AHawks89

• Premium Member

If we can get a superstar, then I'm hoping we can ship out Horford. Keeping Smoove would be the ideal thing to do. Ferry knows that, unless there is a trade that you can't deny. Ferry knows Josh is the best player on the Hawks by far, and brings much more to the table than anyone else.

Hate to break this to you, but Ferry holding on to Josh (if he does) has nothing to do with him being the best player, but everything to do with trying to get Howard. Getting Howard would be the MAIN reason keeping Josh is ideal. Not because of his game. Feel how you want to feel about him, the numbers don't suggest that Josh is "by far" the best player on the team.
  • Like 1

When dealing with public statements about players, you have to learn to read between the lines. So, by default, any opinion you have about what a GM says is going to be based in conjecture. But there's some things you can do to narrow down what a guy is really saying... The core of this team is Josh, Al, Teague, and probably Lou. As they go...this team goes. When you're talking about a team that has to get back to it's winning ways, you're not talking about what ZaZa or Korver does. No, you just call those guys out individually. When you make sweeping statements like that, you're avoiding stepping on the toes of your bread winners - you're talking about your core. You're not really talking about the role players...else you say things like "our bench has to step up" and "our starters need support." So let's break this down: He is talking about our recent struggles. He mentioned every player, but not every player is the problem. We all know that. He's avoiding stepping on egos. He's talking about the core getting back to strengths and avoiding weaknesses... Horford does the same thing night in and night out. He may not always show up, but he plays the same game. He doesn't try to do anything he can't do. He doesn't play away from his strengths. Same with Teague. What does he TRY to do? Drew may be forcing him to be more of a distributor, but that's on the coach. Turn Teague loose and he will constantly attack the basket or step back and shoot. Lou also plays the same game. Coach may start him or bring him off the bench, but again...that's not on the player. THEY have to get back to playing to their strengths...means one person and that is Josh Smith.

I agree that Ferry is talking about the core of the team and not the role players. Josh, Al, Jeff, Lou, and Korver are normally going to be the ones who determine if we win or lose on a nightly basis. Zaza and Ivan COULD be included in this group, but they don't play nearly enough to dramatically affect games one way or another ( on a nightly basis ). And guys like Harris, Morrow, and Stevenson stay hurt so much, that they can't be counted on one way or the other. Tolliver and Petro are non-factors. The rookies get a pass . . period.Where I disagree, is that Ferry is JUST talking about Josh with most of his statements. I think he's specifically talking about Josh, Al, and Teague . . and Zaza to an extent/Keep in mind that Korver and Lou are Ferry's choices to be on this team. I guess you could add John Jenkins and Mike Scott to that mix as well, seeing that he was hired a few days before the 2012 Draft. The guys that came over in the JJ trade are simply expendable fillers that will be gone by the trade deadline, or by season's end.But Horford, Smith, Teague, and Zaza are NOT his choices. They were chosen by someone else. So there isn't any emotional attachment to these guys.Look at it like this.Re-signing Smith, Teague and Zaza may take a total of 75 - 100 million over the next 3 - 4 years, with about 20 - 25 million a year being needed to pay just those 3 guys alone. Then he has to see if retaining any or all of these guys will have the Hawks in a position to at least challenge for an East title within the next 2 - 3 years. People talk about a 5 year plan, but the seeds of a championship caliber team have to be in place way before then.I think Ferry needs to decide these things, and in this particular order1) Can a Horford - Smith frontline challenge for an East title? ( If Yes, then you stay the course and move to Question #3. If no, go to Questions #2 and #2a )2) Do we need to pull the trigger on a Josh Smith trade right now, to get the type of impact player(s) we want?2a) Do we need to pull the trigger on an Al Horford trade right now, to get the type of impact players(s) we want?3) Can we get a decent player(s) for our expiring contracts before the trade deadline to help Al and Josh, or do we let them expire and make our move with cap room in the summer?4) Is Teague the PG of the future? ( If yes, move to Question #5. If no, move to Question #5a ).5a) How much do we pay to retain Teague?5b ) Who do we get to replace Teague and how do we going about doing it?6) Should we retain Zaza, and at what price?I think all of Ferry's major decisions not only have to do with Josh, but with the other guys who are either hitting the FA market, or guys that Ferry didn't pick himself.
  • Like 4

Absolutely hilarious.

Thanks for the laugh.

• Like 1

Smoove is my favorite Hawk. I thought that has been known. I am sarcastic 60% of the time, just to get a rouse of the Smoove haters. "We're not haters because we criticize Smoove", but I'm a Smoove lover because I defend Smoove? But like I said, if we can get a legitimate super star here, I would rather have Smoove rather than Al Horford.

The main reason is what Smoove can bring to the table and DEFENSE. I know he's one of the few NBA players in history to average numbers like no one has ever had. He wasn't ranked #1 last year in defensive win share last year for no reason, as well as being #5 in defensive rating this year. Oh yeah, he is always top 10 in blocks every year, too. But yeah, that don't matter because he sometimes makes bad decisions on shooting? You can argue all you want, and say, "Well, that's how we lose games!" Yeah, okay? No. But anyways, that's the only thing that is a negative - poor shot selection, and I can live with that because he has been playing a lot in the paint this year, while Al has been floating around the perimeter - as well as Smoove. If you ever notice when Smoove is not in the game, players are taking advantage and driving to the basket and scoring at will - with occasionally getting the And 1. I could keep going on and on about how highly I appreciate his defense, but I think you get the point and have witnessed it yourself.

And I'm pretty sure if we did get a superstar, Smoove will cut out a lot of poor decision making because he wouldn't feel like he has to "carry" the team, because we all know that Horford can't.

Did I mention he is one of the best big men at passing the ball too? I love when he is playing in the paint and then makes a sick pass to someone who is open. He has good court vision, but I'm sure a lot of you like to disagree with that too. He rebounds very well.

Smoove is the perfect Robin for a superstar. He is a game changer, a defensive beast, and a good home grown player. People in Atlanta love Smoove (outside of Hawksquawk), and many players respect him for what he brings to the table.

Edited by AHawks89
  • Like 1