• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Im confused I thought we had the most cap space to shop come this 2013 offseason!

JTB

This whole time I thought our ATL Hawks and Danny Ferry had the most cap space other than Dallas and Cuban but I see there are others who have more than us!

Read this:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-wholl-have-salary-cap-space-in-2013/

Looks like we have competition come this off season! Who's to say we have a better shot than these other teams with cap space like us?

Maybe the talent on this team puts us in a better situation than other teams.

That article is including cap holds on Josh Smith and Jeff Teague. In theory we could renounce our rights to all of our free agents and offer max contracts to both Howard and Paul. That would put us right at the $58 ~ $61 mill salary cap. We would then be forced to fill out the roster with league minimum contracts.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

We don't have an owner like Cuban and an elite talent like Dirk to attract players. If it was us against them, we would be in trouble.

Dirk is 35. Ferry could sell us over the Mavs. We have 3 good young pieces under contract with Horford, Lou, Jenkins and 2 first round picks. The problem is neither Paul or Howard will leave. Edited by coachx

That article is including cap holds on Josh Smith and Jeff Teague. In theory we could renounce our rights to all of our free agents and offer max contracts to both Howard and Paul. That would put us right at the $58 ~ $61 mill salary cap. We would then be forced to fill out the roster with league minimum contracts.

So apparently the hawks do have the most cap space for this off season.......right?

...................sorry im lost on this one, but im sure i will get it soon. lol

Let me see if I can clear up the confusion.

http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/hawks.jsp

Total salary for 2013 - $21,513,122 Players included Horford, Williams, Jenkins, Stevenson, Scott

Note: Teague and Johnson are owed qualifying offers and technically should be included above with more salary. Their salary counts against the cap until we make a qualifying offer or renounce them. The minimum for both total is about $4.671 million.

Note: abount 3 million of this number up top is not guaranteed (Scott/Stevenson).

Total salary for 2013 guaranteed. - $18,483,800 Players included Horford, Williams, Jenkins

Total salary for 2013 including cap holds - $73,429,929. Important additions on this list are Smith, Harris, Korver, Pachulia, Morrow, Petro, Teague, Johnson.

Okay so technically we are only on the hook for 18.5 million but that includes waiving our rights to every player except Horford, Williams and Jenkins. If you opt to keep Ivan and Teague you are at about $23 million. However, until you trade or renounce Smith/Harris/Ivan/Teague they count an additions 34 million against your books above the 18.5 million, (assuming you renounce your rights to everyone else) rendering your effective salary cap situation as 52.5 million and assuming an estimate cap of about 58 million you can then spend 5.5 million. The real issue here is Smith/Harris eating up $29 million in cap holds (salary + 50%).

I hope that clears it up for you, a few numbers are round for simplicity sake and of course I could be somewhat wrong but I'm 99% sure that's good enough. Shamsports has a very clear salary tool for all teams.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 1

I want to pile on my explanation to clear it up. Our cap space is somewhat fictional and it depends on a few players who are all tradable commodities. All of these players are either free agents or are owed a QO.

Smith

Harris

Korver

Morrow

Pachulia

Teague

Johnson

Now here's the problem. Until you renounce them, they're yours. You can't sign a new player to fill their void without getting rid of them. However, keeping them as trade bait is how you are able to go up to the Luxury tax with good talent. It's a chess match for sure. So although you might want to get rid of Smith or Harris, you can use their salaries to technically sign and trade with say L.A. to bring back more than just Dwight (for example purposes only...nobody freak out). There are advantages to this. LA if they lost Dwight in free agency may not be able to resign a similar player. So using sign and trade we can make a better deal for Dwight or whomever while LA could at least get back quality.

Other teams will come to us to do the same thing. They may want Pachulia but don't want eat up their cap money to get him. So they may want to move a player to us for Pachulia in sign and trade or even in a three way. Flat renouncing these players takes away a bargaining chip we have to build the team in Ferry's image. So although we are technically on the hook for only 18.5 million....that is not necessarily the best way to go about building the team.