• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Ferry looking.....

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

Talked to a buddy of mine and the conversation was about Josh Smith. Apparently Danny Ferry is looking for a veteran Allstar in exchange for Smoove.I guess that could narrow things down a bit. My guess is it will be Al Jefferson headed to Atlanta.If this is true, who is that player?

• Like 2

Talked to a buddy of mine and the conversation was about Josh Smith. Apparently Danny Ferry is looking for a veteran Allstar in exchange for Smoove.I guess that could narrow things down a bit. My guess is it will be Al Jefferson headed to Atlanta.If this is true, who is that player?

Not sure if this is supposed to be inside information or just speculation by a friend, but I see no reason Utah would want Josh. I could see them possibly as part of a 3-team deal, but they already have a bevy of PF's (some that can play C) in Millsap, Jefferson and Favors. They wouldn't need Smith even if they got rid of one in that deal.

• Premium Member

Not sure if this is supposed to be inside information or just speculation by a friend, but I see no reason Utah would want Josh. I could see them possibly as part of a 3-team deal, but they already have a bevy of PF's (some that can play C) in Millsap, Jefferson and Favors. They wouldn't need Smith even if they got rid of one in that deal.

Milsap and Jefferson will be gone in some folks mind, Favors is the one they are holding onto

• Moderators

Sounds like a GM doing what all good GM's do... Not leaving any stone unturned and is just getting a feel of the market for Smith. It doesn't mean that Josh is on the block though nor does it mean that Josh is a goner. If Danny is looking for a veteran All-Star then he'd be stupid (which he is not) to trade for another PF with Horford still here. It would be for a center or small forward with a center being more likely. Pau comes to mind, but Danny has already declined trades for him and Pau doesn't have much gas left in the tank. Cousins is a possibility, but Sacramento says that they aren't interested in trading Cousins and they wouldn't want Smith in return because he'd likely leave in the offseason. David West is a maybe, but I think Indiana really likes his offense and post-play and we all know about Josh on offense. Houston and Dallas have nothing to offer that would benefit us. Amar'e, Randolph, and Gay all have bad contracts and are injury prone. Amar'e has been hurt most of season, Gay is shooting worse than Smith, and Randolph, although is a dub-dub guy, isn't a center and is too similar to Horford. Jefferson is a possibility, but isn't getting us to the ECF nor does he fit our uptempo play style. The Hawks play style is to run teams to death and play great D. The only guy that comes to mind that fits our philosophy, is a veteran All-Star center, and fits LD's love of flexible, uptempo guys is LeMarcus Aldridge, but what desire do the Blazers have to bring in Smith (unless they want a clean slate to build around Lillard), so I'll repeat myself, Smith isn't going anywhere...

If we're looking to get a C then I'd hope that we'd be going hard after Gortat 1st and foremost (assuming Cousins isn't an option). If not, then I'd seriously consider a package like what some have mentioned from Boston (Melo / Sullinger / Bass / Bradley) as a pretty darn good get for Josh.

• Like 1

• Moderators

If we're looking to get a C then I'd hope that we'd be going hard after Gortat 1st and foremost (assuming Cousins isn't an option). If not, then I'd seriously consider a package like what some have mentioned from Boston (Melo / Sullinger / Bass / Bradley) as a pretty darn good get for Josh.

Geez. I was never able to look at this without getting sick to my stomach. I don't know if i can deal with Josh in Boston.

Posted Image

• Like 1

I would trade Josh for Bynum right now if I could, even if Bynum never plays a minute for the Hawks. I would not trade Josh for Gortat, he is not worth that. The most I would give for Gortat is some expirings and a 1st. Honestly, there is not much out there.

Geez. I was never able to look at this without getting sick to my stomach. I don't know if i can deal with Josh in Boston.

Posted Image

I agree that did suck and it would suck seeing Josh play in any other uniform, but to get a quality player like Bass plus 2 rookies with big potential in Sullinger and Melo AND get a SG who can play D and score like young Bradley can would be a major win for us so I'd have to say bye Josh.

• Like 1

Sounds like a GM doing what all good GM's do... Not leaving any stone unturned and is just getting a feel of the market for Smith. It doesn't mean that Josh is on the block though nor does it mean that Josh is a goner. If Danny is looking for a veteran All-Star then he'd be stupid (which he is not) to trade for another PF with Horford still here. It would be for a center or small forward with a center being more likely. Pau comes to mind, but Danny has already declined trades for him and Pau doesn't have much gas left in the tank. Cousins is a possibility, but Sacramento says that they aren't interested in trading Cousins and they wouldn't want Smith in return because he'd likely leave in the offseason. David West is a maybe, but I think Indiana really likes his offense and post-play and we all know about Josh on offense. Houston and Dallas have nothing to offer that would benefit us. Amar'e, Randolph, and Gay all have bad contracts and are injury prone. Amar'e has been hurt most of season, Gay is shooting worse than Smith, and Randolph, although is a dub-dub guy, isn't a center and is too similar to Horford. Jefferson is a possibility, but isn't getting us to the ECF nor does he fit our uptempo play style. The Hawks play style is to run teams to death and play great D. The only guy that comes to mind that fits our philosophy, is a veteran All-Star center, and fits LD's love of flexible, uptempo guys is LeMarcus Aldridge, but what desire do the Blazers have to bring in Smith (unless they want a clean slate to build around Lillard), so I'll repeat myself, Smith isn't going anywhere...

Smith is about to have a "bad contract" as well. I mean, unless you believe that he's going to accept getting paid less than what he's making right now? That's why he's expendable.

If I'm Ferry, I'm talking to Dallas. And I'll state the two guys they could give us

- Shawn Marion

- Vince Carter

Marion immediately gives us the SF that we all want here. A guy who can still get up and down the floor, and most important . . . play DEFENSE.

Vince Carter gives us another shooter off the bench, with the exception that Vince can still create his own shot.

Those two guys represent the #10 and #24 SFs in the league, in terms of NBA efficiency. And Marion can play PF in a smallish lineup.

Marion still has a year left on his deal after this year. Carter has a team option once the summer hits. Marion represents a very nice trade chip in 2014, for a team that may want an expiring contract, but may want to get rid of a higher salaried or longer contract player, to shed payroll.

Shawn Marion + Vince Carter for Josh Smith

Pull the trigger Danny.

If I'm Ferry, I'm talking to Dallas. And I'll state the two guys they could give us

- Shawn Marion

- Vince Carter

Marion immediately gives us the SF that we all want here. A guy who can still get up and down the floor, and most important . . . play DEFENSE.

Vince Carter gives us another shooter off the bench, with the exception that Vince can still create his own shot.

Those two guys represent the #10 and #24 SFs in the league, in terms of NBA efficiency. And Marion can play PF in a smallish lineup.

Marion still has a year left on his deal after this year. Carter has a team option once the summer hits. Marion represents a very nice trade chip in 2014, for a team that may want an expiring contract, but may want to get rid of a higher salaried or longer contract player, to shed payroll.

Shawn Marion + Vince Carter for Josh Smith

Pull the trigger Danny.

I hypothetically mentioned that deal a couple of months back in a debate with MaceCase but now that I've had time to think about it, there's no way I would do it as we get nothing for the future and we're not trying to win a championship this year or next anyway. If we move Josh it has to be for a young All-Star caliber player or multiple young players who still have a lot of potential or draft picks.

• Like 1

Or better yet, work out a package involving OJ Mayo, with us having to deal with him being an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

I'd take a Mayo/Marion for Smith as well.

Cuban may go for that, because it takes Marion's 9.3 million for next year off the books, and he can fully decide if he wants to try to re-sign Smith, or just let him go, to even have more cap space next summer.

Yeah . . I like the Mayo/Marion package a little better. That way, Cuban can try to get Smith + Howard to play with each other in Dallas, along with Dirk in his final years.

I hypothetically mentioned that deal a couple of months back in a debate with MaceCase but now that I've had time to think about it, there's no way I would do it as we get nothing for the future and we're not trying to win a championship this year or next anyway. If we move Josh it has to be for a young All-Star caliber player or multiple young players who still have a lot of potential or draft picks.

Unfortunately, that ship may have past us by.

There isn't a bad team out there who is going to give us an All-Star caliber player for Josh Smith. So from my perspective, the only teams we can deal with, are playoff level type teams who may want to change up things a bit.

I actually like the Boston suggestion of trying to bring in an Avery Bradley and one of their young guys like Melo or Sullinger. But even that deal isn't bringing us some potential all-star talent.

Unless we can talk a team who is kind of upset with their star player, to swap him for Josh, we're going to be holding the bag on a deal that brings in less.

At least trading for a Marion and Mayo/Carter for Smith, gives us 2 rotation players that we can immediately put in the lineup, with one of those expiring at season's end.

No one wants to overpay for Rudy Gay ( and Memphis probably doesn't want Josh in the first place, seeing that they need another shooter, not another frontcourt player ).

Very few people wanted to trade for Pau Gasol last year.

So what do we do?

Because the alternative is to hold onto him for the hope that we can get a decent young player to replace him, but possibly miss out on trading him altogether.

At that point, we're dead in the water once the summer hits. We'll lose him for a trade exception ( that we may not even use ).

It is what it is folks.

• Like 1

I would trade Josh for Bynum right now if I could, even if Bynum never plays a minute for the Hawks. I would not trade Josh for Gortat, he is not worth that. The most I would give for Gortat is some expirings and a 1st. Honestly, there is not much out there.

I would too, just to have Bynum's Bird Rights, and the ability to pay him more than anybody else if it came to that.

But that would be the same reason why Philly probably wouldn't trade him to us.