• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Nets

lethalweapon3

On one of the side videos, I saw where he did a windmill dunk against Toronto - sounded like a gun shot went off. I rather him try crazy dunks than take 3's, but I think that between the legs dunk against Miami years ago put an end to that.

Who cares how fancy a dunk is in a competitive game ? The point is to make the shot. Are you trying to be a winner or get on Sportscenter ?

Huh? I think you're taking what I said out of context.. as usual.

Anyways, team played well as a whole, we just have to stop letting these guards blow by our guards and letting them get in the paint so easily.

Edited by AHawks89

Typical Smith.....makes a nice dunk, but takes a few god awful 3's just before. Like I said, he hurts us more than he helps us...especially in 4th quarters of games. If Ferry doesn't trade him, this is what we will see in the playoffs this year.

Typical Smith.....makes a nice dunk, but takes a few god awful 3's just before. Like I said, he hurts us more than he helps us...especially in 4th quarters of games. If Ferry doesn't trade him, this is what we will see in the playoffs this year.[/

quote]

lucky to make playoffs....I can see a complete crash in the future

• Premium Member

On one of the side videos, I saw where he did a windmill dunk against Toronto - sounded like a gun shot went off. I rather him try crazy dunks than take 3's, but I think that between the legs dunk attempt (which he missed badly) against Miami years ago put an end to that.

fixed Posted Image

Idk now hard is it for smith to stay inside and mid range. He can be great in the paint he missed about 3-4 shots I the paint that were in and out. He should not be shooting 3s I wish he could get that.

He's not a great shooter in the paint either.

These are his shots from 3 - 9 feet. Shots that are not at the rim

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/plus/shooting.cgi?player_id=smithjo03&year_id=2013&shot_distance=3-10

He only makes 34.4% of his shots from that range. That's a tough range, because most shots in this range are either floaters, or contested post up plays.

Here's something to judge Josh Smith's offensive game on. Let's look at what the average PF who plays at least 30 min/game will shoot from the various ranges . . . and compare that to what Josh shoots. So this comparison is basically what the starting PFs in this league shoot.

AT RIM

PF average: 67.1%

Smith avg: 75.4%

3 - 9 FEET

PF average: 42.4%

Smith avg: 34.4%

10 - 15 FEET

PF average: 42.5%

Smith avg: 20.6%

16 - 23 FEET

PF average: 39.7%

Smith avg: 26.7%

3 POINT

PF average: 33.7% ( eFG% = 50.5% )

Smith avg: 31.2% ( eFG% = 46.8% )

So outside of finishing at the rim, he does everything offensively below what the average starting PF is shooting. Even if you change the criteria to what the average SF who plays 30+ minutes a game shoots, he'd still be below the average production in every area except shots at the rim.

So what happens if Smith starts to lose some of his athletic ability in 2 - 3 years? What shot or offensive move is he going to rely on?

• Like 1