• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Why all of our hubris is really just ridiculous.

thecampster

So I'm posting this in Homecourt by associating this article with the attitude of Hawks fans on this board. You hear a plethera of opinions on Josh/Al/Teague/Drew and the rest here like we really know what we're talking about.

I remember listening to Charles Barkley on what I think was the old Jim Rome show talking about how good NBA players were. He said, you and I can go to the YMCA and you can pick the 4 best guys there to play with you and then you can pick any other 5 adults there wanting to play to give me and we'll beat your butts every time. Well, this story about the human victory cigar Brian Scalabrine proves just that.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/brian-scalabrine-dominated-competition-boston-one-one-challenge-231654445--nba.html

Every time I hear the fans on this board spout craziness about firing coaches, trading players, etc I remember the story of sir Charles.

Interesting related story. In my younger adult days, I joined a semi pro baseball league. It was pay to play but with cuts. Most guys paid their fee but by the beginning of the season didn't make a team. The kind of place former high school players can go to have fun or marginal pro talent can go to get back in shape trying to get another shot. It was my first season. I was still feeling myself out but looked to be the best pitcher on the squad. In one of our first practices, I was feeling pretty beast while throwing BP and feeling pretty good about guys on my own team not getting good cuts on me. When up walked one of our own players (first time I faced him). He was a former AA player who had been hurt and was trying to work himself back to a contract. He sent the first pitch I threw screaming off the wall. So I reared back and threw about 95%, a little wild and it pushed outside. He lasered it to right. I blinked a bit and threw again, this time not holding back and getting a good bit of the inside part of the plate. He crushed it about 50 feet over the fence in left and not even realizing how hard I was trying to not get hit said, "yeah...just like that....keep it right there". It was at that point I realized there was a huge difference between a pro athlete and myself. Seems like a these guys got a taste of that with Scalabrine.

I think the posters on this board (myself included) could do with a little bit of that humble pie Scalabrine served up, take a step back and just enjoy watching the best basketball talent in the world night in and night out.

• Like 4

This is a great post and I really do feel you! But most complaints from this forum come against Josh Smith! You dont have to be the best to know when someone is just flat out dumb as far as basketball IQ...and thats simple. You cannot defend a player like Josh Smith when it comes to offense......there is no way in HELL you can defend Josh Smith and his Offensive IQ.

Now other than Josh, you can defend Larry Drew, Teague, Horford, and even Zaza! But you can't defend Josh Smith!

We as hawk fans hear it on ESPN whenever they decide to talk about the hawks and its coming from former players who played the game!

I get your post but Im just saying that the Josh complaints will always be there BUT for good reason! We all know josh cant shoot and so does other nba coaches, fans, anaylst, gm's, and legends.

Last time I heard espn talk about smith this is what jalen rose and magic johnson said "I dont know why Josh Smith keeps taking all these long 2s" "yeah jay, he really needs to find his way to paint more often"

it was something like that anyways and nearly every game what does nique say about josh...."thats, uhhhh, thats....thats not a good shot by smith!" the man says this atleast 7 times a game!

Smith makes fans and others have a reason to talk about him. maybe we should close our mouths about others but when it comes to smith MOST of us are right on what we say cause if we werent Smith would have proven us wrong by 9 years now!....smith kills 9 to 12 possesions on offense every game doing something stupid. Most of us only want to keep smith for the sake of getting D12 including our GM Ferry!