• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

WOJO: Atlanta Hawks called the Lakers on Howard's availability

GameTime

• Premium Member
That's nice. However, let this play out until the off season. That's what I'd like to see. To me it doesn't matter what the Lakers do short of making the Finals. They can blame D'Antoni and fire him like they did Mike Brown. That team is done and Dwight knows it.

"Those close to Howard say he likes Los Angeles, including the team's championship history and Hollywood spotlight it commands. But another source close to him says he's grown weary of Mike D'Antoni's fast-paced offense."

He could re-sign for five years and $117.9 million instead of a four-year, $87.6 million deal with another team.

I don't for one second believe that D12 is leaving $25million on the table to come to Atlanta where he has never once said he would like to play. If he get's here as a free agent - cool. He will start a trend of players leaving money on the table.

LA should just get rid of D'Antoni - he is so bad as a coach.

I dont think the lakers will be keeping all their players next year and diring d'antoni too. They will already be taking a beating with luxury tax and then paying 25 mil to two coaches who arent even with the team, plus a new coach to boot seems unlikely to me. But then again, it is the Lakers so nothing is out of the question here.I'm sure Stern's last act of office will be to do whatever he can to help the Lakers (and maybe the Celtics) plunder the rest of the league to get back on top."Firing" d'antoni

Man, f&@k Dwight and Nash. Can't believe some of you wanted and still want those bums here. Actually watch the Lakers on any given night and you'll see it my way. If I were a GM, they'd have to pay me to play here. Selling your soul and giving max dollars to people who negatively affect your team just to get some recognition on this new pathetic Twitter-based news cycle gets people fired. Steve Kerr and Colangelo long realized they couldn't go anywhere with someone as porous in front of their defense as Nash is. Van Gundy knew as soon as Dwight became a "star," he transformed into a teammate's nightmare. Now D'Antoni and Kupchak will be fired soon, but they aren't quite intelligent enough to know why. What, some of you guys prefer being well under .500 as opposed to way over?

• Like 2

That 25 million is so overstated yet parroted across multiple boards that it's become comical. If this was Dwight's last big contract then sure, turning down 25 million outright would be crazy but he would only be 31 at the end of a 4 year deal. He would then be eligible for yet another big money contract that could run 4-5 years making the difference of that 5th year closer to 5 million than this 25 that's being thrown around. Kevin Garnet at the age of 36 just signed a 3 year 36 million dollar deal, he had signed a previous extension starting at 15 million at the age of 31, Marcus frickin Camby at the age of 38 was able to secure a deal for 3 years 13 million so really now, it's not his last chance at money unless there's fear over his current injury which at that point.....why even bother pursuing him at any amount of money? If you are discussing money lost due to marketing, then that too is also overstated. If you are a global icon then global companies will find you wherever you may be. This isn't 1962, Dwight in Orlando of all places secured deals from Adidas, Sprite and Macdonalds amongst others to go along with having a top selling jersey. The difference there will be between available local marketing opportunities. Dwight wouldn't be starting a trend either of leaving money on the table, there was this one group of players that I'm having trouble remembering not one, not two, and not three of all their names. They also did the unprecedented where they turned down much larger media markets for middle of the pack Miami.

Very well put man!

Man, f&@k Dwight and Nash. Can't believe some of you wanted and still want those bums here. Actually watch the Lakers on any given night and you'll see it my way. If I were a GM, they'd have to pay me to play here. Selling your soul and giving max dollars to people who negatively affect your team just to get some recognition on this new pathetic Twitter-based news cycle gets people fired. Steve Kerr and Colangelo long realized they couldn't go anywhere with someone as porous in front of their defense as Nash is. Van Gundy knew as soon as Dwight became a "star," he transformed into a teammate's nightmare. Now D'Antoni and Kupchak will be fired soon, but they aren't quite intelligent enough to know why. What, some of you guys prefer being well under .500 as opposed to way over?

Bingo to that post. I can't believe you guys still want Dwight. He has ruined two franchises in under a year, his performance is falling off, he can't play with another superstar but yet he can't provide you with enough scoring to be the man. And alot of you think that he and Smoove would be a good combo and are ready to give away half the team to do it. We need to leave this cat alone because if we get him we are going to end up like orlando with alot of overpaid bums that you signed so you could build a team around a "superstar" you can't build round. Hell he mignt not ever be 100% again. With he and Smoove as our cornerstones we might not average 80 point a game. Another thing thing Dwight has been in the league to long to not have gotten better offensively he has no post game and has gotten bums like Twin and Kendrick Perkins paid.

Edited by Wurider05

• Moderators

That 25 million is so overstated yet parroted across multiple boards that it's become comical. If this was Dwight's last big contract then sure, turning down 25 million outright would be crazy but he would only be 31 at the end of a 4 year deal. He would then be eligible for yet another big money contract that could run 4-5 years making the difference of that 5th year closer to 5 million than this 25 that's being thrown around. Kevin Garnet at the age of 36 just signed a 3 year 36 million dollar deal, he had signed a previous extension starting at 15 million at the age of 31, Marcus frickin Camby at the age of 38 was able to secure a deal for 3 years 13 million so really now, it's not his last chance at money unless there's fear over his current injury which at that point.....why even bother pursuing him at any amount of money?

If you are discussing money lost due to marketing, then that too is also overstated. If you are a global icon then global companies will find you wherever you may be. This isn't 1962, Dwight in Orlando of all places secured deals from Adidas, Sprite and Macdonalds amongst others to go along with having a top selling jersey. The difference there will be between available local marketing opportunities.

Dwight wouldn't be starting a trend either of leaving money on the table, there was this one group of players that I'm having trouble remembering not one, not two, and not three of all their names. They also did the unprecedented where they turned down much larger media markets for middle of the pack Miami.

Could not agree more. This isn't your dad's NBA anymore. Just about every player has a shoe deal and some sort of athletic company that is paying them. Can't turn on ESPN or some other sports network and not see a Subway commercial with RGIII, Justin Tuck, and Suh or a Nike/Adidas/Reebok/Converse commercial selling their products with a professional athlete wearing them. As for money from local markets, who in Atlanta wouldn't want to put the howntown All-Star in one of their commercials... And as MaceCase said, this won't be Dwight's last deal he ever signs. He could very well play the next 9+ years in a Hawks uni and be paid $200 mil in that time. I still don't understand why Dwight putting Atlanta on a "list" is still an arguing point... Do you think that David West had Indiana on a "list"?

Bingo to that post. I can't believe you guys still want Dwight. He has ruined two franchises in under a year, his performance is falling off, he can't play with another superstar but yet he can't provide you with enough scoring to be the man. And alot of you think that he and Smoove would be a good combo and are ready to give away half the team to do it. We need to leave this cat alone because if we get him we are going to end up like orlando with alot of overpaid bums that you signed so you could build a team around a "superstar" you can't build round. Hell he mignt not ever be 100% again. With he and Smoove as our cornerstones we might not average 80 point a game. Another thing thing Dwight has been in the league to long to not have gotten better offensively he has no post game and has gotten bums like Twin and Kendrick Perkins paid.

In Orlando, he was expected to do everything w/o much of a supporting cast and in LA he has Kobe in front of him who has a league-leading 930 FGA (to put it in perspective, that's 321 more than the leading Hawk in that category) and a coach with a horrible scheme. I believe that the Hawks are a great fit for Dwight because he'll be allowed to fall into a role and not be expected to do anything outside of that. Also, he fits a need and he'll have Smith and Horford as his wingmen, a capable guard in Teague, and great guys off of the bench. The Hawks are the happy median between the Orlando situation and the LAL situation.

Agreed with Mace. Howard fired his agent recently. He obviously understands he will demand top dollar where ever he lands until his last big payday ala post Cavs Shaq. If he's KGs age and hoping he leaves 25 million than we would be a delusional bunch.

In reality he's probably leaving around 4-5 million at most, thus made up by cutting the services of his agent.... So in summary, Atlanta/Dallas gives him 87 over 4 years and has little problem re upping him at age 31 to 5 years, 120 million range given injury.

Edited by Kimsey

Got two words for you Mike Vick. Howard could be every bit the star Vick was in his heyday. Sponsors would eat him up in Atlanta. The shoe companies would drool over this. We are little Hollywood. The NBA network and TNT is based here. You think they wouldn't like having a poster boy in their backyard and pump him up? This is what you sell Dwight on.

Got two words for you Mike Vick. Howard could be every bit the star Vick was in his heyday. Sponsors would eat him up in Atlanta. The shoe companies would drool over this. We are little Hollywood. The NBA network and TNT is based here. You think they wouldn't like having a poster boy in their backyard and pump him up? This is what you sell Dwight on.

I agree Atlanta has big market potential. Atlanta is one of the biggest entertainment capitals in the US and even though our attendance sucks there is a big interest in basketball here, we were one of the top ranked in NBA finals views last year.

Jeff Van Gundy aired him out today. Glad to see people around the NBA speak candidly and stop sugar-coating the Lakers' problems. I'm sure Stan could detail multiple occurences in Orlando that would further destroy his public persona, but he's a classy guy.

That 25 million is so overstated yet parroted across multiple boards that it's become comical. If this was Dwight's last big contract then sure, turning down 25 million outright would be crazy but he would only be 31 at the end of a 4 year deal. He would then be eligible for yet another big money contract that could run 4-5 years making the difference of that 5th year closer to 5 million than this 25 that's being thrown around. Kevin Garnet at the age of 36 just signed a 3 year 36 million dollar deal, he had signed a previous extension starting at 15 million at the age of 31, Marcus frickin Camby at the age of 38 was able to secure a deal for 3 years 13 million so really now, it's not his last chance at money unless there's fear over his current injury which at that point.....why even bother pursuing him at any amount of money?

If you are discussing money lost due to marketing, then that too is also overstated. If you are a global icon then global companies will find you wherever you may be. This isn't 1962, Dwight in Orlando of all places secured deals from Adidas, Sprite and Macdonalds amongst others to go along with having a top selling jersey. The difference there will be between available local marketing opportunities.

Dwight wouldn't be starting a trend either of leaving money on the table, there was this one group of players that I'm having trouble remembering not one, not two, and not three of all their names. They also did the unprecedented where they turned down much larger media markets for middle of the pack Miami.

Having said all that how many "young " players and agents think that far down the line. They are all about making the most in the here and now. What if Dwight's back is never be the same and he never regains his explosive form? Would a team pay him max money at 31 with a bad back? There are too many unkowns - what's that saying when player enter the league they are all about being the man and making the most money, as their career winds down that is when they start thinkin about championships.

Additionally, those guys who you are having trouble remembering not one, not two and not three who left money of the table, you know what they are bonafide ALLSTARS who carried their own teams. Who is Dwight leaving money on the table to play with? Not even in the same class.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Having said all that how many "young " players and agents think that far down the line. They are all about making the most in the here and now. What if Dwight's back is never be the same and he never regains his explosive form? Would a team pay him max money at 31 with a bad back? There are too many unkowns - what's that saying when player enter the league they are all about being the man and making the most money, as their career winds down that is when they start thinkin about championships.

So Lebron, Bosh and Wade were all in their 30s when they decided to give up money to joing together? Gilbert Arenas took less than he was offered too despite having a freshly surgically repaired knee at the moment of the contract, it's not at all unheard of. If you are going to discuss players not being able to think that far ahead then why would Dwight resign with the Lakers when they don't even have a realistic short term plan to contend?

So Lebron, Bosh and Wade were all in their 30s when they decided to give up money to joing together? Gilbert Arenas took less than he was offered too despite having a freshly surgically repaired knee at the moment of the contract, it's not at all unheard of. If you are going to discuss players not being able to think that far ahead then why would Dwight resign with the Lakers when they don't even have a realistic short term plan to contend?

There have been players who take less money to help there own team(like Gilbert who instead of signing for 6yrs/124mill took ONLY 6yrs/111mil) not disputing that - . Tim Duncan left money on the table so his team could sign players to win a CHAMPIONSHIPS, The Miami 3 left $ money on the table to play with each other, other ALLSTARS to win CHAMPIONSHIPS. Don't you think it was easier for them to take less because of who they were teaming up with. Who will D12 take less to play with?

I am not talking about thinking ahead in terms of winning championships I'm talking about the money aspect you mentioned about the possibility of signing another max deal.