• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Keep or Trade Josh Smith?

PaceRam

Just curious on getting thoughts from other Hawks fans on whether the Hawks should keep or trade Josh Smith before the trade deadline. He has been one of my favorite Hawks players since he was drafted and I personally think he is one of the most physically gifted players in the NBA. But, for whatever reason (coaching, wrong system, Smith's stubbornness, wrong team chemistry, etc) I don't think the Hawks are getting the best out of Smith and maybe it would be best for Smith and the Hawks for a change. And, if Smith really demands a max contract I would be very surprised to see the Hawks give it to him and I would hate to see Smith leave as a free agent and the Hawks get nothing in return (but, as someone mentioned earlier at least they would get some valuable cap space).

First off, Josh does not choose how much he will be paid. The market will make that decision for him.

I would be all for trading Josh Smith if we get equal, or nearly equal value back. The reason is b/c players who lack fundamental skills and rely on pure athletic ability expierence an erosion in their production quicker then players who rely on solid fundamentals. A Josh's athletic ability erodes his lack of fundamentals and poor shot selection will become and even larger "wart" then it is now.

If that type of trade does ot surface then I do believe their is value and wisdom in holding on to Josh into this summers FA. The fact that coaches seemingly don't want to coach Josh could play in Atlanta's favor and allow us to retain Josh on a better then expected contract. Their is also value in cap space, of Josh walks in free agency, with the flexibility it brings.

So to answer the question bluntly on if to trade Josh..........All I can say is it depends............

I just don't think Josh Smith has much trade value on an expiring contract. He will more value if he resigned to a fairly reasonable contact and then traded (like how Denver did with NeNe).

I would love to work out a trade with Portland for JJ Hickson involving Josh Smith.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

I have been and will always be a Hawks fan. But if the Hawks resign Josh Smith I will back off from my somewhat intense following of the Hawks. It is my opinion, and while Im not a professional I do not believe this team will not improve to a level of contending while he is on the roster.

In regards to trading Smith..........I dont think he has the trade value that a lot of folks think. Josh is not an allstar player, hes just not, his basketball IQ is very low.

I would trade Smith for Pau Gasol in a nano second. The Lakers wont to move Pau and his talent level is way above Smith.

... players who lack fundamental skills and rely on pure athletic ability expierence an erosion in their production quicker then players who rely on solid fundamentals. I would love to work out a trade with Portland for JJ Hickson involving Josh Smith.

This.

Trade him...no way is he worthy Max Money or anywhere close to it.....I think Ferry will offer

(4yr/55mil) but I think Smith believes he is worth more...So hopefully we can package smith with some team for a good player and a pick in return...

Edited by wolvetigers

Trade him. In return I would ask for: A rebounder, a good assist player, and a athletic slasher that can score. These would be the recipe for what we would lose in Josh. Pay three players what he would have made alone. That way we can have each of things "when we want them on the floor" and not at the wit and whim of one overgrown adolescent.

• Premium Member

I really don't envy Danny Ferry as the Smoove situation will be a difficult situation to deal with and we all as Hawks fans have high expectations for the best possible resolution especially after Ferry got us quality players AND cap flexibility after dealing Joe and Marvin.

• Moderators

I agree with coachx entirely. The market will decide what Josh gets paid, not Josh. The only teams that would offer Josh near-max money are basement dwellers. I seems that Josh still hasn't realized that this isn't the same organization that signed Joe to that ridiculous deal. He won't get the deal he wants to stay in Atlanta and, barring a miracle that Dwight comes home, will likely walk to Houston with Dwight in the offseason. The situation with Josh isn't a bad one because we still have Horford, Teague, and a LOAD of cap space in our back pocket. We could trade him, but I'd only want expiring contracts and picks so that this and future offseasons are not affected. No Pau, no Gay, no one long-term and lucrative.Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI agree with coachx entirely.

Edited by PSSSHHHRRR87

Man, this site is becoming JoshSquawk. Insane to see how many threads there are a day about Smoove. It's going to be weird to see what this place looks like after he is gone. Posted Image

(A pinned Josh Smith topic would be very nice)

Edited by AHawks89
  • Like 1

After Smoove is gone, I could honestly see all the focus being on Teague & Al. Once they make one little mistake, people will be blaming every loss on them, too. I do not want Smoove to be traded nor get the max, but holy shit - if it takes him to get traded just to stop all these topics about Smoove everyday then go for it. I get on, scroll down the page and see the same shit every day. Ha.

I think I might have to stop coming on here every so often. It's not even enjoyable to read.

Man, this site is becoming JoshSquawk. Insane to see how many threads there are a day about Smoove. It's going to be weird to see what this place looks like after he is gone. (A pinned Josh Smith topic would be very nice)

Answer = Happy

this team needs to cut out the cancer that is Josh Smith. The ENTIRE team plays smarter when he's not in the lineup. I can live without his 2-3 blocks a game. He causes much more negative stuff that positive with his bad shots...dribbling up the court...arguing about non calls when he's a 50% foul shooter...not to mention doing everything in his power to give every game away in the last 5 minutes. He seems to get dumber the later the game gets.Also....I am so tired of hearing Josh called "athletic"! Why? Because he can jump high? He can't handle the ball....can't control his body...can't score if being guarded right under the basket....can't hit a foul shot....turns the ball over by hitting it off his feet...can't guard anyone quick one on one. He's downright goofy most of the time. "Athletic"?? Hardly. Watch Durant, LeBron or CP3 if you want to see "athletic". If you want to see a bumbling, stumbling, goofball...watch Josh.

• Like 2