Brooklyn Nets express interest in Josh Smith

Jody23

And truthfully, 10M/per is more in line with his worth.

No interest in anything the Nets have. I'd rather just have the cap space. You know what's going to be funny ? Joshs reaction once he hits the open market asking for a max deal and no one offers more than $15 mil a year, if that. This new CBA is what prevents players like him, Joe, and Rudy from getting big contracts in the future.

• Like 1

No interest in anything the Nets have. I'd rather just have the cap space. You know what's going to be funny ? Joshs reaction once he hits the open market asking for a max deal and no one offers more than $15 mil a year, if that. This new CBA is what prevents players like him, Joe, and Rudy from getting big contracts in the future.

I'd be shocked if anyone offers him 5 years at $75 mill.

I think he will get 5 years and $60 mill.

I think his last deal was 5 years at $58 mill......and he has not improved at all.......and the market is much tougher now. He had to wait a month for Memphis to offer that 5 year $58 mill deal.

• Like 1

I'd be shocked if anyone offers him 5 years at $75 mill. I think he will get 5 years and $60 mill.I think his last deal was 5 years at $58 mill......and he has not improved at all.......and the market is much tougher now. He had to wait a month for Memphis to offer that 5 year $58 mill deal.

Big difference back then as he was a RFA and we said we'd match an offer for him. This time he's unrestricted but there's only Dallas and maybe Houston that can sign him outright.

• Moderators

I think he's actually a much better player than he was back then but back then he also had a lot of 'potential'. Now he is a good player but he isn't going to become signficantly better at this point in his career. With the new cba i have to agree that his chances of getting max money seem slim. Still, despite letting melo blow by him, he is one helluva a defender.

How about this dream trade - Josh for Joe JohnsonPosted Image . Oh, wait. That probably won't work.

I'd go for Humpries . He's not very good but aside from getting married to Kim K. (and honestly, most guys would have done that) he doesn't do too many stupid things on the baskeball court.

Honestly, I can't seee why anyone would want Josh now.

Wallace plus Marshon plus a 1st would be great value for Josh at this point but where would that 1st come from? Honestly I'd consider it without the 1st if it weren't for Wallaces contract. Even still we'd probably be able to move him someplace else if we wanted to.

i second the motion especially if we are getting a young talent in marshon brooks, for some reason the nets are hypnotised with joe & deron which to me have lost their luster i say co that trade while they are still blind & wallace has allways been a hustle player which all teams need.

Chandler Parsons and Asik for Josh is our best option IMO.

If that was even an option, don't you think the Hawks would have already pulled the trigger on that deal? That option is nothing more than discussion forum speculation. Nothing I've seen even comes close to naming that as a realistic deal. The only thing I've seen about Houston is speculation they may be interested in Josh. Maybe someone has something more on that and I could definitely be wrong.

Rather let him walk and take chances on the next two offseasons. Gallinari is a great shooter, the hell you been putting up your nose. He's basically a young Marvin Williams.

The best move are for top 3 protected picks and expirings. Drafting is the key to success until a great ownership or coach takes the reigns.

I'd rather let Josh walk for nothing than get burdened with a huge deal on an aging non superstar player. It is superstar or bust for me. And I think Ferry feels the same way.

If I could magically turn a nickel into a quarter I would do it all day long too, but unfortunately that's just not possible and I pray that Ferry isn't trying to do the same with Josh, otherwise he won't be getting traded anywhere.

• Like 1

If I could magically turn a nickel into a quarter I would do it all day long too, but unfortunately that's just not possible and I pray that Ferry isn't trying to do the same with Josh, otherwise he won't be getting traded anywhere.

While your at I got stack of $1's that could use a couple of 0's at the end.

• Like 1

Rather let him walk and take chances on the next two offseasons. Gallinari is a great shooter, the hell you been putting up your nose. He's basically a young Marvin Williams.

The best move are for top 3 protected picks and expirings. Drafting is the key to success until a great ownership or coach takes the reigns.

Gallinari is light years better than Josh offensively and while he's not in the same league defensively, Koufos is a pretty nice option to pick up a lot of that slack. Koufos only plays 23 mpg compared to Josh's 36 mpg but look at their stats in those minutes:

Koufos 8 points, 7 rebounds, 1.5 blocks with 60% FG (6 attempts per game) and 56% FT - 23mpg

Smith 17 points, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks with 45% FG (16 attempts per game) and 50% FT - 36mpg

Now put Koufos at 36 mpg and look at his stats...

Koufos 13 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks with 60% FG (10 attempts per game) and 56% FT - 36mpg

So just replacing Josh with Koufos he more than makes up for the rebounds and blocks and almost does it in 13 fewer minutes per game right now. Sure we'll miss a little bit of the points that Josh scores (with poor efficiency) but then we ALSO GET Gallinari and his 17 points, 5 rebounds, 37% 3PT shooting, 82% FT shooting. So if you can't see getting both of those players for Josh as a major win for the Hawks then I gotta wonder what you are putting up your nose!

• Like 3

People still don't realize Drew won't be coach once Ferrys true team is assembled. This soft jump shooting offense we run doesn't translate in the playoffs. The team has always finished among the bottom of the league in free attempts under Drew.

It's a wonder why refs will not give the players the benefit of the doubt when you don't change that perception. Another thing is the Hawks have finished last in free throw attempts in playoffs as well. This is not even may main issue with his style.

People still don't realize Drew won't be coach once Ferrys true team is assembled. This soft jump shooting offense we run doesn't translate in the playoffs. The team has always finished among the bottom of the league in free attempts under Drew.

It's a wonder why refs will not give the players the benefit of the doubt when you don't change that perception. Another thing is the Hawks have finished last in free throw attempts in playoffs as well. This is not even may main issue with his style.

That jump shooting offense is not Drew's fault. Its the personnel we have....and have had.

He is constantly on Teague to attack the basket. We are missing our best guy at drawing fouls (Lou).

Gallinari is light years better than Josh offensively and while he's not in the same league defensively, Koufos is a pretty nice option to pick up a lot of that slack. Koufos only plays 23 mpg compared to Josh's 36 mpg but look at their stats in those minutes:

Koufos 8 points, 7 rebounds, 1.5 blocks with 60% FG (6 attempts per game) and 56% FT - 23mpg

Smith 17 points, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks with 45% FG (16 attempts per game) and 50% FT - 36mpg

Now put Koufos at 36 mpg and look at his stats...

Koufos 13 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks with 60% FG (10 attempts per game) and 56% FT - 36mpg

So just replacing Josh with Koufos he more than makes up for the rebounds and blocks and almost does it in 13 fewer minutes per game right now. Sure we'll miss a little bit of the points that Josh scores (with poor efficiency) but then we ALSO GET Gallinari and his 17 points, 5 rebounds, 37% 3PT shooting, 82% FT shooting. So if you can't see getting both of those players for Josh as a major win for the Hawks then I gotta wonder what you are putting up your nose!

Denver plays at a very high pace. Galinari stats even that impressive considering Denver is 2nd is FG attempts, 3rd in scoring. 2nd in assists. Josh would explode offensively playing with Lawson and Miller the exact reason why they would want him. DGs free throw % is a positive and Koufos is a nice piece but make no mistake, the team philosophy on offense are totally night and day between Drew and Carl.

That jump shooting offense is not Drew's fault. Its the personnel we have....and have had.

He is constantly on Teague to attack the basket. We are missing our best guy at drawing fouls (Lou).

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2011/03/09/atlanta-hawks-j-j-we-all-are-jump-shooters-thats-pretty-much-what-it-is/?cp=6

“But you look at a jump-shooting team–we are a jump-shooting team. If shots are falling then, great, we are rolling. But one through five, we all are jump shooters. That’s pretty much what it is. Like I said, if we are making shots then we are probably unstoppable. But when we are not making shots those are the games we have to grind out.”

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/44408/an-eye-on-the-hawks

"Then there’s the issue of building a productive offense that actually gets to the line now and then. Atlanta is only 16th in points per possession, and only three teams have gotten to the line less often per field goal attempt. “We are a jump-shooting team,” Drew says."

You see I can tell my 5 year old to go to college. But there has to be a gameplan for grades 1-12 first. Teague has the skill to get to the line 10 times but it goes against the style of coaching. Even with Lou we are still 27th this season. Charlotte is 3rd in the league...