Suns interested in Josh for Gortat

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225901/Suns_Explore_Trade_For_Josh_Smith

The Phoenix Suns have begun pursuing Josh Smith, according to multiple sources.

The Suns have held preliminary trade talks with the Atlanta Hawks and will continue their pursuit into the offseason should they be unable to execute a trade before the deadline.

The Suns would likely build their offer for Smith around Marcin Gortat.

Phoenix could sign Smith to a new contract in the offseason while retaining enough cap space for a second big contract free agent.

Via Alex Kennedy/HoopsWorld

Edited by Dolfan23
Added article text

Automatic message This topic has been moved from "Atlanta Hawks Forums / HomeCourt / Trade Ideas" to "Atlanta Hawks Forums / HomeCourt". No reason at all why this shouldn't be in the main forum as it's the first solid rumor we've actually heard from the mainstream media this season, at least as far as I'm concerned. The great news is that they'd have to add a lot to Gortat salary wise to be able to get up to Josh's level + trade kicker. Off the top of my head I'd guess at least 7-8 million more, meaning we could possibly get something else of quality in addition to a player who is production wise easily as valuable as Josh. Maybe a Shannon Brown and Wesley Johnson (still holding out hope for my 'Cuse boy to turn his career around) or maybe Markieff Morris or Jared Dudley. We could absolutely get some quality bench player(s) in addition to Gortat and find ourselves in a position where we are a far better team on the court just as we were post-Joe.

• Premium Member

Yeah Dolfan, the really intriguing part of this deal is wondering what else would come our way. I'd love to have Gortat as our center, but we need a couple more pieces coming our way to make this happen. I wonder if they'd be willing to give up the Lakers first round pick they received in the Nash deal?

Give me Dudley in the deal he has a cap friendly number at 4 million until 2014/15. Starting quality 6'-7" SF who knows and understands his games and plays to his strengths, plays good defense. And for good measure throw in the Lakers pick and Markieff Morris.

Gortat is a great player don't let his goofy lookingness fool you.

Be careful with that word great. I know most are excited about getting rid of Josh but I would not call Gortat great.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Give me Dudley in the deal he has a cap friendly number at 4 million until 2014/15. Starting quality 6'-7" SF who knows and understands his games and plays to his strengths, plays good defense. And for good measure throw in the Lakers pick and Markieff Morris.

I hated Dudley when he was playing at BC. I'm not sure what it was, but the guy just really annoyed me.

He has turned into a pretty good pro though and I'd welcome him to the Hawks. Gortat/Dudley/Morris/Lakers pick would be a great deal for us.

If Houston can sneak in as that #7/8 seed we will have 3 first round picks to play around with, combine that with our capspace and it could be a really fun offseason.

• Like 1

Gortat is a solid center and is only being paid 7 mil a year. But his deal ends after next season and you know he is just a bad contract waiting to happen because he will be overpaid just like every decent center. No thank you. The only thing I am interested from the suns are picks.. and dudley would be a nice throw in too.

There is no need to worry about his expiring contract next season. His 7 million would make him easier to trade at the deadline. There will be no need for Ferry to overpay him.

Gortat is a solid center and is only being paid 7 mil a year. But his deal ends after next season and you know he is just a bad contract waiting to happen because he will be overpaid just like every decent center. No thank you. The only thing I am interested from the suns are picks.. and dudley would be a nice throw in too.

There is no need to worry about his expiring contract next season. His 7 million would make him easier to trade at the deadline. There will be no need for Ferry to overpay him.

I'm sure that we'd be able to lock him up for 8 million or so after his contract is up if we decide to. Together with Horford they'd be a very physical and tough inside combination who'd actually play in the paint, grab 20+ rebounds a game along with 25+ points while shooting in the mid-high 50's and they'd block about 4 shots per game as well. Get Dudley and/or Morris and/or Brown and/or Johnson and/or draft pick(s) and this would be a hell of a deal for the Hawks for a guy on his way out anyway.

• Like 1

Be careful with that word great. I know most are excited about getting rid of Josh but I would not call Gortat great.

He's far from a great player, but he's a very solid player and together with Horford we'd no longer have to worry about being small in our front court that's for sure. Rotate Zaza and Ivan in and we've got a very solid and tough 4 players to build around in the front court. Then if they continue to develop Mike Scott to play some SF we could really go big!

Quote from hoopsworld that I find hilarious. Posted Image

The
Suns are very interested in Smith and have had exploratory talks with
the Atlanta Hawks about the 27-year-old forward. Phoenix views Smith as a
franchise player who can be one of the cornerstones of the team for
years to come.
The Suns have been searching for a face of the
franchise since Steve Nash’s departure last summer, and Smith could be
exactly that. If the Hawks decide it’s time to part ways with Smith, the
Suns will be one of the teams on the phone

If they really believe that then god bless their souls.

• Like 3

We are really resorting to these types of players. I really hope Ferry isn't interested at all in making a deal with Phoenix.

• Like 2

Quote from hoopsworld that I find hilarious. Posted Image

If they really believe that then god bless their souls.

I truly hope they do believe that! And I truly hope that Josh goes out there and becomes the face of their franchise. But I hope that in the process we get some quality talent and hopefully rape the Suns a little like they did with us on the JJ trade.

We are really resorting to these types of players. I really hope Ferry isn't interested at all in making a deal with Phoenix.

Nobody is going to give us a superstar for a 27 year old malcontent who doesn't know or doesn't care about his own limitations who also happens to be a FA at the end of the year and says he wants the max. You gotta be realistic about this.

I am more interested in them than Josh at a max deal.