• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Suns interested in Josh for Gortat

If I was Ferry I'd ask the suns for Gortat, Dudley and their (suns own) 1st round pick (top 3 protected in 2013, unprotected in 2014) for Smoove and Petro. Suns pick currently sits at #6... And we currently own #16 via Houston and #19 (our own) picks. I really think if we are going the future route and looking for a star we need either Noel or Shabazz in 2013 or Wiggins or Parker in 2014. Stockpile draft picks to move up or take a gamble and trade with teams we predict could have top picks. Cuz there's no way we would be crappy enough to get one of those top draft prospects with our own pick.

Also everyone keeps talking about this cap space to spend on a max player. Name one max player everyone would agree is worth the max that will be interested in Atlanta this off-season? Paul isn't leaving LA and it's been "rumoured" ad nauseum that Dwight doesn't want to come to Atlanta.

Based on those facts, I think the Hawks need to try to get better players that FIT our team better however it might be. According to camp's salary assessment, we could realistically bring in Gortat and Brown's expiring contract this season (and draft pick). We could possibly re-sign Korver and Zaza to reasonable deals and still have the money to pursue someone like Iguadola. He's not an elite player, but I think a starting 5 of: Teague, AI, Korver, Horford, and Gortat is solid. Lou, Jenkins, Zaza, and the picks could give us a strong 2nd unit.

The other option with having multiple 1st round picks is you can package them to move up to get a player you most desire.

I'm not saying Smith and Gortat are equals here, but as Dolf pointed out, Gortat is an improvement in many areas and not such a big dropoff in others. Al and Gortat would be boring? The Spurs are often considered boring, but guess what they do? They win. That's all I care about. Change it from the Highlight Factory to the Smart Ball Played Here Factory and I'll be happy.

• Like 3

I think Josh will take less money (If Ferry has the right pieces to make this team a championship caliber team). The dude loves the Atlanta Hawks and his city. He don't have a Hawks tattoo for nothing.

Posted Image

Mmmmmm....I guess your crystal ball is quite clear and works better than mine.Posted Image

I'm all for the change to smart ball factory but I dunno how that's gonna sound on the PA -al makes a smart pass that leads to a layup- Announcer: WELCOME TO THE SMART BASKETBALL FACTORY

It's THE SMART BASKETBALL PLAYED HERE FACTORY. Better start getting that memorized! hahahahaha.

If y'all are seriously excited about Gortat then there are issues. You Are selling josh short. C'mon. He is a strong player and to put these two guys in same sentence is rediculous. It's like this called the other day on 929 the game that said Josh is similar to Lebron since they both came out from high school. Blah!

I think really people are just excited at the possibility of getting a solid player or two, and getting rid of "I deserve the Max" Smith.

The sum of the parts, greater than the one.

Just like when people were complaining about the "crap" we got for Joe and his humongous contract - same can be said here. The individual stand alone talent of the one may be better but the "parts" would serve us just as well in the present and for the future.

• Premium Member

I still believe all this Suns talk is smokescreen for something else. Most likely, Smith's camp is trying to put pressure on a certain team or teams to make a serious offer for him by using this Suns rumor. That said, I'm still not confident the Hawks will trade him.

I still believe all this Suns talk is smokescreen for something else. Most likely, Smith's camp is trying to put pressure on a certain team or teams to make a serious offer for him by using this Suns rumor. That said, I'm still not confident the Hawks will trade him.

You could very well be right about all of that. At least we'll have some sort of temporary relief within 3 weeks.

• Premium Member

We've been doing this dance around here for more than 15 years now and for many of those this was the most exciting time to be a Hawks fan.

Very true. I just hope that whatever happens (or doesn't happen) is truly worth getting excited about.
  • Like 1

Nobody is going to give us a superstar for a 27 year old malcontent who doesn't know or doesn't care about his own limitations who also happens to be a FA at the end of the year and says he wants the max. You gotta be realistic about this.

The garbage we might get in return makes me want to take a chance we re-sign Josh instead of trading him away.

Like the garbage we got for Joe?

Excuse me for not jumping for joy. Stevenson was God awful for all of January. Petro gets garbage minutes very rarely. Paging Anthony Morrow....are you in the building? And a twenty something first round draft pick to boot.

Tell me again why this was a win for us.

Excuse me for not jumping for joy. Stevenson was God awful for all of January. Petro gets garbage minutes very rarely. Paging Anthony Morrow....are you in the building? And a twenty something first round draft pick to boot.

Tell me again why this was a win for us.

20-25 million in extra cap space in each of the 2013, 14, 15, 16 seasons.