• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Poll: Weigh in on a potential trade of Gortat (and parts) for Josh

Admin

In regards to the potential rumor of a Gortat for Smith trade...  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Dudley, a pick, and expiring Josh wiould be a coup IMO. Josh at a max will be horrible for our future. For those that think he is valuable enough to get better returns on a max contract need only look at what we got for JJ on a max contract.

Gortat is a true center so now we can move horford to powerforward full time. Add in Beasley to play the 3 position and give me a good 1st round pick cause I hear they have several picks for the upcoming draft.

uhhhh hell's yeah Im sold to that deal! but then again I will wonder if smith could have got howard to the hawks but man this trade is a good one. Only a fool would say its not! that is if we get beasley and 1st round pick along with gortat, then again yes its a good trade. Chances for smith going to a high market team are low....nobody is going to give this dude a max contract worth 95 million that he thinks he deserves.

• Premium Member

I think its a lateral move IMO. It isnt a move for the future and I dont think he makes us much better as a basketball team.

How is it not a move for the future.

The future is Al at PF and Teague at PG. How many times must we go out without Josh and prove that? Add in a real C and a bonafide Sf who are both kinda young and a first rounder.. for a disgruntled guy who wants a max contract because he heard that they exist... and I think we have a great deal. For the future.

• Like 2

How is it not a move for the future.

The future is Al at PF and Teague at PG. How many times must we go out without Josh and prove that? Add in a real C and a bonafide Sf who are both kinda young and a first rounder.. for a disgruntled guy who wants a max contract because he heard that they exist... and I think we have a great deal. For the future.

cause gortat isnt young he is about to turn 29 and his contract is about to end also he is pretty average and doesnt have the potential to get any better. If gortat came with multiple picks like their pick this year which would be a lottery pick and the lakers pick ill do it.

Other than that I think we can get something more attractive from another team.

cause gortat isnt young he is about to turn 29 and his contract is about to end also he is pretty average and doesnt have the potential to get any better. If gortat came with multiple picks like their pick this year which would be a lottery pick and the lakers pick ill do it.

Other than that I think we can get something more attractive from another team.

He has 2 more years at 7.5 million each and then a player option for a 3rd year at that salary so he's a long way off from having his contract about to expire.

whats ur source according this he has this season and next season then expires with no player option. http://hoopshype.com/salaries/phoenix.htm

Doh I'm an idiot, I was looking at Goran Dragic's salary as it's listed right above Gortat's on ShamSports. I retract my previous comments about his salary Posted Image

Even still, I highly doubt that a 30 year old Gortat will be getting a raise about that 7ish million that he's making.

I'm really up in the air on this one. I think we may be able to get some real value from this trade, I'd just like to extend it out to where we could get some extra pieces while also dumping some extra seepage from the Nets trade ( PETRO ).

But in all seriousness, I think we can really get some real nice pieces back from Pheonix.

I'd REALLY LIKE this... Not that they'd do it but it actually works.

Gortat, Beasley, Frye for Smoove and Petro. Posted Image

Edited by ATLscrubLove

But not even remotely being rumored. Why would Orlando give up the younger and better C AND give up their best shooter? And Atlanta has no need for Reddick either as we have Jenkins, Morrow and Korver who are all as good as or better shooters.

Why would we give up Josh for a Gortat that was a bench player up until a year or two ago when he started having Nash spoonfeed him? I did not say it was going to happen just like I am pretty sure the deal with Phoenix will not happen either because it is not a good deal.

Think like a business person. A GM knows things like Josh has a deal with Adidas and has had several television commercials over the last 3 or 4 years. He is a marketable player in his hometown. What pull does Gortat, Dudley, and some crap shoot pick have when it comes to marketability? This is not a good business trade. So, yes I would need to tilt it in my favor a lot.

Why would we give up Josh for a Gortat that was a bench player up until a year or two ago when he started having Nash spoonfeed him? I did not say it was going to happen just like I am pretty sure the deal with Phoenix will not happen either because it is not a good deal.

Think like a business person. A GM knows things like Josh has a deal with Adidas and has had several television commercials over the last 3 or 4 years. He is a marketable player in his hometown. What pull does Gortat, Dudley, and some crap shoot pick have when it comes to marketability? This is not a good business trade. So, yes I would need to tilt it in my favor a lot.

Probably because we don't want to build around Josh and there are only so many trades available. And sure Gortat was a backup a few years ago, but only because he was playing behind the best C in the entire world. You think Horford or Josh would have started ahead of Dwight if both of them were C's? Hell no they wouldn't have. But this guy who was a backup has been putting up similar stats offensively (with more efficiency), defensively and in rebounding while playing a position of need for us.

But yeah let's think like a business person for a moment. Should we hang onto an asset that's losing value every day and can walk away in 6 months and we get nothing in return. Or should we look to get something of value in return for that asset? Going even further, should we look to plug a major hole that we have? Should we even then look to try and get a young talented player on a cheap contract who fills another major hole for us? Wait what if we even tried to get a 1st round draft pick or 2 as well? Does any of that seem like a good decision, or should we just lose our asset for nothing? Or are you possibly advocating bending to said asset and drastically overpaying for him, thereby locking us into another JJ type of situation?

Probably because we don't want to build around Josh and there are only so many trades available. And sure Gortat was a backup a few years ago, but only because he was playing behind the best C in the entire world. You think Horford or Josh would have started ahead of Dwight if both of them were C's? Hell no they wouldn't have. But this guy who was a backup has been putting up similar stats offensively (with more efficiency), defensively and in rebounding while playing a position of need for us.

But yeah let's think like a business person for a moment. Should we hang onto an asset that's losing value every day and can walk away in 6 months and we get nothing in return. Or should we look to get something of value in return for that asset? Going even further, should we look to plug a major hole that we have? Should we even then look to try and get a young talented player on a cheap contract who fills another major hole for us? Wait what if we even tried to get a 1st round draft pick or 2 as well? Does any of that seem like a good decision, or should we just lose our asset for nothing? Or are you possibly advocating bending to said asset and drastically overpaying for him, thereby locking us into another JJ type of situation?

Honestly, I would rather let him walk than to take back Gortat, Dudley, and a 1st in a weak draft. I don't like either player or contract and when you think about marketability and the fact that Josh brings us more attention for good or bad than even our playoff runs I will pass. At the end of the day it is entertainment and in entertainment the only bad publicity is none.

It is going to be hard for a sensible GM to trade Josh if these are the only deals available.